What ever happened to Rob Schremp?

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
Can't skate, pretty soft, and no defensive awareness.

Basically his hands are the only tool he has that is NHL level.

He's in Europe somewhere last I checked.

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
I've got a Rob Schremp story.

So it's the 2010-2011 season, the Kings are in the process of turning from a basement dweller into a 2-time Stanley Cup champion, and thus Kings tickets are cheap so I buy some for me and my buddies when the Isles come to the Staples Center.

Anyway, I show up early to the game because I want to see the pre-skate warmups and give my Isles some love, you know? I see a group of honestly only 5-6 guys in Isles sweaters hanging out down by the ice where they're warming up, majority of the arena is watching their hometown Kings warm up obviously.

So anyway the players start throwing a couple of pucks to us, Tavares was still our shiny new toy at that point so we're all focused on him. Then Schremp grabs a puck and starts doing all those crazy stick tricks with it, keeping it in the air and catching it on the blade of his stick. You know the type. Clearly just showing off for the approximately 7 Islander fans hanging out.

The response from the fans? Groans. Audible groans. Schremp realizes this, stops messing with the puck and skates away. I felt bad for him, but that pretty much sums up his NHL career: eventually the fans will grow sick and tired of all the flash and none of the results.

DarkSaturn

Sep 10, 2008
Was a product of a very dynamic London Knights offense, massive PP numbers. Still, hard to blame people for being optimistic when he had that huge season after Corey Perry left.

Had obvious skill, but lacked the speed and ultimately effort level to compete at the NHL level.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
The best coaching decision Dan Bylsma ever made was going with Rob Schremp in the WBS Skills Comp shootout for all the marbles that one time.

e84*

So it's the 2010-2011 season, the Kings are in the process of turning from a basement dweller into a 2-time Stanley Cup champion, and thus Kings tickets are cheap so I buy some for me and my buddies when the Isles come to the Staples Center.

Anyway, I show up early to the game because I want to see the pre-skate warmups and give my Isles some love, you know? I see a group of honestly only 5-6 guys in Isles sweaters hanging out down by the ice where they're warming up, majority of the arena is watching their hometown Kings warm up obviously.

So anyway the players start throwing a couple of pucks to us, Tavares was still our shiny new toy at that point so we're all focused on him. Then Schremp grabs a puck and starts doing all those crazy stick tricks with it, keeping it in the air and catching it on the blade of his stick. You know the type. Clearly just showing off for the approximately 7 Islander fans hanging out.

The response from the fans? Groans. Audible groans. Schremp realizes this, stops messing with the puck and skates away. I felt bad for him, but that pretty much sums up his NHL career: eventually the fans will grow sick and tired of all the flash and none of the results.

:laugh: I enjoyed that thanks. if only the nhl awarded trophies for hot dog tricks.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Excellent hands and offensive senses.

Can't skate for crap, at least by NHL standards.

Whiston532

Dec 27, 2010
Edmonton
His skating was atrocious. I believe he has talent, but it seemed to be the "put up crazy points everywhere but the NHL" story that we see a lot.

Ishdul

Jan 20, 2007
Not that he's bad player elsewhere, but he didn't dominate the AHL/Europe like you might expect either. He was pretty far down the list of scorers on his Swedish team this season, for instance.

pitcher

Jun 18, 2012
In a nutshell: bad attitude

I haven't really followed his NHL career, but I played with him ~2 years before his OHL years and the guy really had big attitude problems, so I am not surprised to see he hasn't changed over the years. He was so *$/&@* skilled tho... the moves you can find on youtube are nothing compared to all the stuff he was pulling in practices. That guy was unreal. But I remember coaches/parents were all saying basically the same thing: "he has NHL written on his forehead... but if he doesn't change his attitude, he will screw it up". I guess they were right.

Back then, he was really undisciplined (even for 14 years old) and he was playing with no heart during games... the kind of guy who get on the ice with his skates not even tightened. He would be pulling all these crazy moves in practice, but wouldn't be intense at all during drills. He was also really disrespectful to basically everyone but his teammates (at least there is that)... I could go on and on about the stuff he was doing off the ice, but as an example, he was often leaving restaurants without paying, forcing the coaches or other parents to pay for him.

THall4

Feb 25, 2014
Edmonton, AB
His skating was atrocious. I believe he has talent, but it seemed to be the "put up crazy points everywhere but the NHL" story that we see a lot.

He also didnt put in the work to help himself become a regualr NHLer, which is a criticism MacT had for Schremp, or one of them. Not to mention he felt entitled that he could tell the NHL club what to do.

I believe his skills were at a level that even if he became a mediocre skater...he coulda carved a career out..

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth

Sounds like every other one trick pony. Like guys who are long drive champions in golf; they're very good at one aspect of the game, but have no ability to do anything else. After a while, a 400 yard drive isn't that impressive.

rockhouse15

Jul 23, 2011
Mentioned earlier but it was mainly his skating. He was good on the powerplay and clearly unstoppable in shootouts but he never could skate well enough to be an actual factor at 5v5 no matter how good his hands were. He came in the same year as Tavares and both had similar skill sets and flaws. Amazing hands and hockey sense but lacked strength and strong enough skating at the time. Both did very well to score on the PP but struggled 5v5. Tavares worked on his skating, balance, and strength from his early seasons while Schremp did not and now we see the results.

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
He'd make plenty of NHL teams if they implemented a suggestion from HF brought up a while back, an extra skater slot (13 forwards or 7 defense or 3 goalies). Use him on the PP and in the shootout.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00