What era do you gravitate to?

Fire Lowe

Nov 19, 2013
Rusty Patenaude, Jim Harrison and Jim "The Chief" Neilson. The WHA was the pinnacle of hockey.

ResilientBeast

Proud Member of the TTSAOA
Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
I was in grade 6 during the 06 playoff fun and that was the single most exciting time of my life, until Ty Conklin taught a young me what disappointment is.

I followed the team from about 2001-2005 on and off (i was young)
Then 2006 - Present religiously

McRpro

Cont. without supporting.
Aug 18, 2006
Clown World
1992-2006

Funny how I became a diehard fan just as they were entering their four years of suck. But I remember those years very well.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
For me it was the late 90's and early-mid 2000's
We had a lot of hard working teams who would either make the playoffs or barely miss. Not many stars but just really hard working players. I'd give anything to have teams like those again

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton
I was 6 years old when Gretz was traded so I barely remember watching him play in Edmonton.

I would say about 89-90 when I really started following the Oilers. My grade 2 class went to the airport to welcome the team home after winning the cup in 1990. Was pretty cool seeing the cup in person even if it was a brief moment.

A couple weeks/months after I went to an autograph signing at the old Oilers Store in Mill Woods Town Center and got a photo with Gelinas and Ranford.

abootzky

Jun 15, 2007
I've been a fan since the very beginning in '72 (I was 11) and I still am but I gravitate most to the only era during which I was able to attend the majority of the home games: 1977-80 which were the last 2 WHA seasons and the first in the NHL.

LemmyUlanov55

4th line grinder
Apr 3, 2016
I´ve been a fan since the 90's, when Doug Weight joined my local DEL Team during the 93/94 lockout. Watched him practicing and playing for weeks since i was in their youth system. From that point on, the Oilers had won a new fan. :D

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
I became a fan of the Oilers circa 1982/83 when my Dad came home from a work-trip and had bought me this photo book:
61XAUp37twL.jpg

I had just learned to read, and I went through this book about 20,000 times over the next several years, reading and re-reading the player bios and memorizing the players' numbers and so on. Unfortunately, I was still too young to stay up late and watch hockey games, but I vaguely remember watching the odd match circa 1983/1984. One of my best friends (same age) was at the 1984 game when Pat Hughes scored 5 goals, and I remember them winning the first Cup, but I was in bed when it happened. During 1984-85, I was a big fan of new guy, Mike Krushelnyski, but I still had to go to bed early and couldn't watch the end of the games.

The first Oilers' game I clearly remember watching live, in full, is this one:

Not a bad way to start!

In early 1986, I moved to Ontario with my mom for a few months, and while there (and immersed in Leafs' loser mania), the Oilers were eliminated by Calgary. I didn't see it happen, but I sure heard about it and couldn't believe it. I thought it was impossible for them to lose.

During 1986-87 at some point, I started watching them regularly (I was old enough to stay up late to watch the end of games now). I guess my fondest memories of them are the 1986-87 team and the 1987-88 team. I think my happiest time watching NHL hockey was the 1988 playoffs, especially the Oilers' sweep of Calgary. A lot of us didn't think Edmonton might win that year, and they suddenly put it all together and just blew every team away that spring. I don't think I've ever seen a better hockey team than the Oilers' from mid-April to end-of-May 1988. Without Coffey, they took fewer offensive chances and were tougher in the back-end, but still had the best forwards in the League. The power-play, after a disappointing season, suddenly took off and went gangbusters in the playoffs.

I guess I most closely followed them from about 1986 to 1991. I recall seeing them practice a few times at West Edmonton Mall. That was awesome.

Magnum23

Aug 24, 2012
I became a fan of the Oilers circa 1982/83 when my Dad came home from a work-trip and had bought me this photo book:
61XAUp37twL.jpg

I had just learned to read, and I went through this book about 20,000 times over the next several years, reading and re-reading the player bios and memorizing the players' numbers and so on. Unfortunately, I was still too young to stay up late and watch hockey games, but I vaguely remember watching the odd match circa 1983/1984. One of my best friends (same age) was at the 1984 game when Pat Hughes scored 5 goals, and I remember them winning the first Cup, but I was in bed when it happened. During 1984-85, I was a big fan of new guy, Mike Krushelnyski, but I still had to go to bed early and couldn't watch the end of the games.

The first Oilers' game I clearly remember watching live, in full, is this one:

Not a bad way to start!

In early 1986, I moved to Ontario with my mom for a few months, and while there (and immersed in Leafs' loser mania), the Oilers were eliminated by Calgary. I didn't see it happen, but I sure heard about it and couldn't believe it. I thought it was impossible for them to lose.

During 1986-87 at some point, I started watching them regularly (I was old enough to stay up late to watch the end of games now). I guess my fondest memories of them are the 1986-87 team and the 1987-88 team. I think my happiest time watching NHL hockey was the 1988 playoffs, especially the Oilers' sweep of Calgary. A lot of us didn't think Edmonton might win that year, and they suddenly put it all together and just blew every team away that spring. I don't think I've ever seen a better hockey team than the Oilers' from mid-April to end-of-May 1988. Without Coffey, they took fewer offensive chances and were tougher in the back-end, but still had the best forwards in the League. The power-play, after a disappointing season, suddenly took off and went gangbusters in the playoffs.

I guess I most closely followed them from about 1986 to 1991. I recall seeing them practice a few times at West Edmonton Mall. That was awesome.

I was not alive during this era but reading this gives me better insight and appreciation of oilers fan from generations before me.

Thanks for sharing!

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4