What era do you gravitate to?

Magnum23

Aug 24, 2012
After watching rexalls farewell I realized how many different generations of oiler fans there are. Ranging from the Gretzkys, to weights, smyth, hemsky, ganger/cog/prv ,hall/eb/nuge to mcdavid/drai/maybe Matthews.

Although we as oiler fans respect players from all generations I feel like we all gravitate towards one or two generation the most. For me it was from 1997-2007 a time when hockey was the only thing on my mind and nothing else in life mattered.

This era includes a mix of two generations ( the early and late smyth eras)

My fondest memories include;

- Marchant ot goal beating Dallas
-every decent player getting traded (cujo,weight,Guerin)
- fans waving "Belfour"
- outdoor game
- dvoraks end to end goal vs Dallas
-getting Chris pronger for nothing
- hemsky clinching our playoff birth
-hemsky eliminating Detroit
-Pisani playing like Jesus
-roloson robbing cheecho
-everything about the 2006 playoff run
- trading Chris pronger for nothing
-smyths hat trick
- smyth getting traded

What era do you gravitate to the most? And what are your fondest memories?

McTrashBoat

Show me the deed
Nov 28, 2014
After watching rexalls farewell I realized how many different generations of oiler fans there are. Ranging from the Gretzkys, to weights, smyth, hemsky, ganger/cog/prv ,hall/eb/nuge to mcdavid/drai/maybe Matthews.

Although we as oiler fans respect players from all generations I feel like we all gravitate towards one or two generation the most. For me it was from 1997-2007 a time when hockey was the only thing on my mind and nothing else in life mattered.

This era includes a mix of two generations ( the early and late smyth eras)

My fondest memories include;

- Marchant ot goal beating Dallas
-every decent player getting traded (cujo,weight,Guerin)
- fans waving "Belfour"
- outdoor game
- dvoraks end to end goal vs Dallas
-getting Chris pronger for nothing
- hemsky clinching our playoff birth
-hemsky eliminating Detroit
-Pisani playing like Jesus
-roloson robbing cheecho
-everything about the 2006 playoff run
- trading Chris pronger for nothing

-smyths hat trick
- smyth getting traded

What era do you gravitate to the most? And what are your fondest memories?

Might want to rephrase that

CageRage

Aug 15, 2009
I was a casual fan up until 2005-2006. Started watching religiously that season and got lucky to have picked a season that they went to the finals. Definitely that year for me. Hemsky eliminating Detroit really stands out for me (see avatar). I remember thinking "Holy ****! We are going to the second round!".

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
I gravitate to the Weight/Guerin/Grier years of the late 90's/early 2000's. That was a hard working team that could get the crowd worked into a frenzy with shift after shift of hard work and finishing checks. Unlike today where completing 10 passes around the perimeter is grounds for a few slow claps from a usually dead crowd.

SpoolCat

Mar 1, 2016
I've been a fan since 2006 partly because of the great playoff run. That team wasn't super skilled but worked super hard and blocked shots like crazy and just seemed to ooze heart. As for the rest of it I remember losing Pronger and Smyth trying to bring in big names like Nylander, Heatley, Jagr, Hossa. Finally Steve Tambellini came in and started this ill fated rebuild led by a first overall pick Taylor Hall, Canada's wjc hero Jordan Eberle and some Swedish guy I was never really crazy about. Long story short I should of became a hockey fan in 2007 being a ducks fan would be so much better but I guess I'm hooked.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
The glory days, a long time ago now but that was when I was in the peak of my fandom I would say.

molsonmuscle360

Jan 25, 2009
Ft. McMurray Ab
Marty McSorley knocking me down when I was around 5, I was standing against the glass and he hit someone and sent me flying. I got right back up and was right up there again, so when he skated past he gave me a thumbs up.

Also when my uncle was showing me around the locker room before a practice one day (he worked in maintenance at the time) only two players really stopped what they were doing to pay any attention to me (not that I hold anything against the guys that didn't, they were at work after all) were Grant Fuhr, who knew me already because my dad worked for his, and Jari Kurri. Kurri was quite possibly the nicest guy I ever met, he spent probably 10 minutes asking me about how my hockey team was doing and just goofing around. After that Kurri was and always will be my favorite player. I didn't cry when Gretzky left, but I did when Kurri left.

Magnum23

Aug 24, 2012
Marty McSorley knocking me down when I was around 5, I was standing against the glass and he hit someone and sent me flying. I got right back up and was right up there again, so when he skated past he gave me a thumbs up.

Also when my uncle was showing me around the locker room before a practice one day (he worked in maintenance at the time) only two players really stopped what they were doing to pay any attention to me (not that I hold anything against the guys that didn't, they were at work after all) were Grant Fuhr, who knew me already because my dad worked for his, and Jari Kurri. Kurri was quite possibly the nicest guy I ever met, he spent probably 10 minutes asking me about how my hockey team was doing and just goofing around. After that Kurri was and always will be my favorite player. I didn't cry when Gretzky left, but I did when Kurri left.

Great story! Kurri seems like a really nice guy!

Magnum23

Aug 24, 2012
I was a casual fan up until 2005-2006. Started watching religiously that season and got lucky to have picked a season that they went to the finals. Definitely that year for me. Hemsky eliminating Detroit really stands out for me (see avatar). I remember thinking "Holy ****! We are going to the second round!".

Probably the biggest goal hemmer scored here. Sad to see him waste his best years here!

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
Started watching in 2004 after moving to Canada. Even though I was only 8, I still remember crying after watching Game 7 against Carolina. I've basically been a religious Oiler fan since.

Captain Fantastic

Connor McMastadon
Feb 24, 2012
YEG
I would say the dynasty years followed by the late 90s with the Dallas rivalry. I find this era of hockey quite dull in comparison and not just because the Oilers are not doing well. The game has become generally boring.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
The tail end of the dynasty. The Ranford/Messier era.

Same.

I felt the Gretzky Coffey era felt like playing Doom in god mode with infinite BFG.
I grew up with that team, so I really took it for granted. I think by default we expected to win.

The Messier/Ranford cup felt more 'earned'. Like we had no more cheat code left, and had to actually win it.

Too bad we couldn't even keep that 'Kid line' of Gelinas-Graves-Murphy together.

:/

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
1997-2006
Age 9-18

All through my childhood and teen years the Oilers were my #1 priority. Absolute mega fan. I remember all the Dallas playoff series as a 9, 10, 11year old. Wouldn't be able to go to sleep until I found out who won the OT games, I kept coming down stairs at night to check as my dad would be watching. Cujo was my favorite player at the time.
Going to the West Ed autograph sessions almost every year through my teenage years. Todd Marchant, Mike Grier, Boris Mironov.
Those teams worked damn hard for their wins, and we got to see them squeak into the playoffs year after year when they probably had no business being there. They bled for it.
Heading to Whye agave during the '06 run. Man, I turned 18 in July that year so I remember getting kicked out of some restaurant/bar 5 minutes before faceoffs of game 7 for not having ID, so my friend and I had to go to Tony Romas in Capilano Mall because all the kid-friendly establishments in Whyte Ave were full, and watch it on their little screens behind the bar.

Last edited:

Magnum23

Aug 24, 2012
1997-2006
Age 9-18

All through my childhood and teen years the Oilers were my #1 priority. Absolute mega fan. I remember all the Dallas playoff series as a 9, 10, 11year old. Wouldn't be able to go to sleep until I found out who won the OT games, I kept coming down stairs at night to check as my dad would be watching. Cujo was my favorite player at the time.
Going to the West Ed autograph sessions almost every year through my teenage years. Todd Marchant, Mike Grier, Boris Mironov.
Those teams worked damn hard for their wins, and we got to see them squeak into the playoffs year after year when they probably had no business being there. They bled for it.
Heading to Whye agave during the '06 run. Man, I turned 18 in July that year so I remember getting kicked out of some restaurant/bar 5 minutes before faceoffs for not having ID.

Do they still have those autograph sessions at wem? Can't imagine how long mcdavids line would be.

I regret not going to whyte although I was still under aged at the time. Any crazy stories on whyte worth sharing?

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
Casual fan in the early 90s, and morphed into a more hardcore fan in the late 90s when the fun and exciting Weight led Oilers were railing against the powerhouses of the west on a shoe string budget.

I consider 2000 to 2014 to be pretty much one long block of time of just surviving as a fan. A team with no money and an ownership constantly crying poor and predicting doom, the team's charismatic GM ousted for a former player who didn't really know what he was doing, good players getting sold off for downgrades every few months, and Eakins senior given the reigns to turn the team into one of the dullest in hockey. All of which peaked in the mid 2000s with the bittersweet playoff run with the dull and charismatic-less team of mediocre players(outside of Pronger that is)trapping it's way into an improbable cinderella run, where everything inevitably turned back into a pumpkin in the finals through bad luck and horrific coaching. Then of course, the entire organization turned into the worst run franchise and league laughingstock of the NHL within one offseason with the Pronger trade debacle, leading to an endless succession of sh***y players, terrible teams, and laughable management decisions throughout the 2007 to 2014 seasons as Lowe and friends tried to recapture the success of 06 without any understanding why they had success in 06.

Hoping the Chia era can change Oiler fandom from just hanging on and hoping for better days, to actually being enjoyable to watch and cheer for again..

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Same.

I felt the Gretzky Coffey era felt like playing Doom in god mode with infinite BFG.
I grew up with that team, so I really took it for granted. I think by default we expected to win.

The Messier/Ranford cup felt more 'earned'. Like we had no more cheat code left, and had to actually win it.

Too bad we couldn't even keep that 'Kid line' of Gelinas-Graves-Murphy together.

:/

I feel like 1990 I was old enough to really understand the game and yeah like you said it was the first time I remembered the team not being massive favorites. Ranfords run that year was incredible. After that I was glued have been ever since.

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009
I am not old enough to really attach myself to the 80s TEAM but Coffey and Fuhr are two of my favorite players and frankly there are ALOT of fine human beings that came out of that group. Coffey, Fuhr, Kurri, Mess, McSorely, Krusher, Gregg, Huddy, Lowe, Muni, Simpson, Buchy, the list goes on and on...a VERY DIFFERENT GROUP of hockey player personalities than whaat you get now. The only guys from the dynasty era that i am cold towards are Gret$ky, who i think is a ****** -even on the rare occassions you see him sober, and Anderson-who acts kind of *******(as much as i WANT to like this guy for the personality he showed on the ice...i just cant due to how he is on several meetings in person).
Still...for an entire ERA of hockey, having barely two names to pick at who ARE NOT absolute gems...is a big statement. I cant think of any other guy on the 80s alum group that i dont think is a class act. Most of those guys are absolute gems. McSorely, Coffey and Fuhr are beauts (just as Weight and Guerin from the 90s era are)

90s team is the team identify with. They played the full 60 minutes. This was before the 200s when it seeemed we became a "last twenty, comeback attempt " team. Hard nosed hockey with a chip on our shoulder. The AHL team feeding its players into the bigger markets when they became solid (Cujo etc). Smyth represents the memory of that group...how they would bleed and suck it up and fight every shift for the respect, admiration, and fan support(and theyed earn it all NOT have it handed to them)
For all the tears...that 94-2000 team era is still the team i connect with. Doug Weight. :)

Last edited:

Magnum23

Aug 24, 2012
I am not old enough to really attach myself to the 80s TEAM but Coffey and Fuhr are two of my favorite players and frankly there are ALOT of fine human beings that came out of that group. Coffey, Fuhr, Kurri, Mess, McSorely, Krusher, Gregg, Huddy, Lowe, Muni, Simpson, Buchy, the list goes on and on...a VERY DIFFERENT GROUP of hockey player personalities than whaat you get now. The only guys from the dynasty era that i am cold towards are Gret$ky, who i think is a ****** -even on the rare occassions you see him sober, and Anderson-who acts kind of *******(as much as i WANT to like this guy for the personality he showed on the ice...i just cant due to how he is on several meetings in person).
Still...for an entire ERA of hockey, having barely two names to pick at who ARE NOT absolute gems...is a big statement. I cant think of any other guy on the 80s alum group that i dont think is a class act. Most of those guys are absolute gems. McSorely, Coffey and Fuhr are beauts (just as Weight and Guerin from the 90s era are)

90s team is the team identify with. They played the full 60 minutes. This was before the 200s when it seeemed we became a "last twenty, comeback attempt " team. Hard nosed hockey with a chip on our shoulder. The AHL team feeding its players into the bigger markets when they became solid (Cujo etc). Smyth represents the memory of that group...how they would bleed and suck it up and fight every shift for the respect, admiration, and fan support(and theyed earn it all NOT have it handed to them)
For all the tears...that 94-2000 team era is still the team i connect with. Doug Weight. :)

What's is Gretzky like in person?

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
Do they still have those autograph sessions at wem? Can't imagine how long mcdavids line would be.

I regret not going to whyte although I was still under aged at the time. Any crazy stories on whyte worth sharing?

I'm not too sure about the sessions, I've been livin in Australia since '08
They usually get talked about on here when they happen, I think I saw one either last year or the year before.

Not really any crazy Whyte Ave stories, I may have only gone the night we cliched a spot in the Finals.
I remember going with 3 of my friends, none of us having had a drink before leaving. When we were driving in, we were all hanging out the widows as everyone else around us were doing, banging our hands against the car and chanting. The feel of euphoria I felt for those couple hours felt as if I was legitimately drunk.
The number of flashers have been exaggerated, I'm not sure if I saw a single one all night

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Dynasty days/80s ... but I have a soft spot for many different eras.

The 91-92 little mini-era where the Oilers stuck in it and still clawed their way to the Campbell Conference semifinals in both years with Damphousse and co. for example is underappreciated.

gqmixmaster

Jun 1, 2006
My favorite moments were
Bill Ranford in the 90 cup win that inspired me to play goalie myself

97 and the 98 1st round series' with Dallas and Colorado (best all heart teams the Oilers have had) - this was my favorite Oilers team for sure though.

They were also responsible for the 10-1 win in Calgary lol

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
For me my choices would be in order:

1979-1994
2003-2016
1972-1978

The period between about 1994-2003 was far less of interest to me in part because I was living in Ontario and it was tough to get any news.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
1997-2007 for me

That was a scrappy lunch pail team. Never knew if you were going to win or lose on any given night, but you were getting 100% every night. Smytty embodied this.

I wasnt alive for Dynasty era so I cant say much. Id love to watch them dominate but not sure how long that would last. Even with a team like Golden State in the NBA it gets boring watching them knowing you will win

With 2000's Oilers every game was a nail biter. Then theyd slide into playoffs in the 8th seed. Just a scrappy team. Thats was 2006 was so great

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad