Post-Game Talk: What else is there to say... Leafs lose 5-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

cookie

Fresh From The Oven
Nov 24, 2009
Oven then stomach
That's a good point, it's a cliche alright, really why even say it? Means nothing. The biggest cliche IMO is the CF% insertion into a post, like it cures all. We don't need better CF%, we need better players with CF%'s.

I always LOL when I read catch phrases like "better possession". How about getting better players first, and if they can play a possession game, ok.

Interactif has a point: CF is very influenced by the lines you face, the teammates you have, the role you play and the system that is employed by the coach. Get good players, play them to their strengths, cover their weaknesses and you'll get positive possession numbers.

King85Kong

Playoffs?
Nov 24, 2013
Toronto
Interactif has a point: CF is very influenced by the lines you face, the teammates you have, the role you play and the system that is employed by the coach. Get good players, play them to their strengths, cover their weaknesses and you'll get positive possession numbers.

There is no one perfect category. Use as many as possible to paint a picture. But to wright it off completely as if people are only using that one thing is foolish.

cookie

Fresh From The Oven
Nov 24, 2009
Oven then stomach
He lets in soft goals every game. I don't think he is much better than Reimer.

I would like to see him prove that he is the go to guy that steals games and carries teams into the playoffs. Bernier simply does not steal games.

I find it very funny that everyone seems to forget that it was Reimer that carried Toronto into the playoffs and came with 10 min of beating Boston in round 1. Reims absolutely stole games 5 and 6 in that series... armed robbery! Yet everyone throws him to the wolves.

You should know by now that all goalies allow soft goals. Bernier is human and allows soft goals just as well. However, when Bernier is on his game, he's much better than Reimer as he can dictate the flow of the game and who is and isn't on the ice. Add that to his save repetoire and puck handling abilities, you have a superior goaltender. What Reimer has done was in the past: in that season we also had Kadri score near a ppg. Hell, the goalie on the other end of the ice is infamous for his playoff performances. His handling the puck is usually not something Pitt fans like, nor is his rebound control. He's gotten better but just like Bernier, he will falter and have bad games.

Klifton

May 30, 2014
Wahoo, Nebraska
Pens fan, (not here to talk trash, promise).

Heh, reading the last page or so, I thought I was on a Penguins thread. That is until I realized you were talking about Bernier, not Fluery. :laugh:

I didn't get to see the game, but, is it true they demoted Kessel to the second line? Was that just a one time thing or is there an issue there?

cookie

Fresh From The Oven
Nov 24, 2009
Oven then stomach
There is no one perfect category. Use as many as possible to paint a picture. But to wright it off completely as if people are only using that one thing is foolish.

What I think he's getting at is that just putting up an argument solely on the basis of advanced stats is shortsighted. Yes you should use every thing you have at your disposal, but you should also be smart enough to know that certain metrics can be misleading. It's kind of like a debate: there's one right and one wrong but you hear each side out entirely before making your judgement.

Paradoc

John Tavares is a Leaf!
Mar 13, 2013
Toronto
I honestly would like to see Bernier become that Premier NHL goalie, but I am not optimistic.

It's your opinion bud. The only reason why I'm calling you out is because you refuse to believe factual stats and base your opinion on a goaltender who tends to give up more softies than the average amount of goalies should. I find it funny you only bash Bernier when he has a bad game. I've never seen you in any post-game talk in the pre-season whenever he played well. If you want to have a good credibility than proclaim nonsense in your post about Bernier

Leafspoison*

Well, we have something that no other team in the league has......last place.

King85Kong

Playoffs?
Nov 24, 2013
Toronto
What I think he's getting at is that just putting up an argument solely on the basis of advanced stats is shortsighted. Yes you should use every thing you have at your disposal, but you should also be smart enough to know that certain metrics can be misleading. It's kind of like a debate: there's one right and one wrong but you hear each side out entirely before making your judgement.

Don't forget that same person uses +- to judge defensive abilities by itself. Not a leg to stand on.
But agree that as many things should be used as possible.

Paradoc

John Tavares is a Leaf!
Mar 13, 2013
Toronto
No you just inferred he has never been mediocre in his career, while implying Reimer who had a better save % a year before Bernier couldn't save the Leafs.

Am I wrong when I say he never had a mediocre season?

And you are wrong on your second part. The Bernier and Reimer part are separate argument/point. I was never implying one or the other.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Am I wrong when I say he never had a mediocre season?

And you are wrong on your second part. The Bernier and Reimer part are separate argument/point. I was never implying one or the other.

Well you do have inconsistent player arguments for the samples you use.

DD03

3D
Mar 15, 2010
So it's the players or coaches fault?

What part is the coach's fault? The players need to be responsible but instead they cash checks, make themselves look good and go out at night, party, fish, golf all summer and not work out. :laugh:

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Considering we replaced like half the roster.

I feel like we gotta get rid of Carlyle and most of the core

Paradoc

John Tavares is a Leaf!
Mar 13, 2013
Toronto
Ulf pointed one out to you already. Why waste my time by asking me?

And he has a 9.02 the season before. You were using playoff season and Wilson's one as to why you think Reimer might save the team while I laughed at the thought of you dismissing his horrible season. Read back to what I've said man.

Mar 26, 2010

Yup, and Phaneuf is the one that really needs to go.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010

Replacing half the roster with worse players doesn't mean jack ****.

What were our big acquisitions to turnaround a 23rd place team? Roman Polak? ****ing idiots running this organisation.

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
It's your opinion bud. The only reason why I'm calling you out is because you refuse to believe factual stats and base your opinion on a goaltender who tends to give up more softies than the average amount of goalies should.

:huh:

Mar 12, 2009
"More of these gentleman looking comfortable in these chairs" - Strombo. I just found that funny, it didn't sound nearly as bad as it reads, but it sums up the post game coverage going on with Strombo/Cox/Kypreos/Friedman. Cox and Kipper are doing all talking which is sad because Friedman is the smartest hockey guy of the 4, and Strombo is clearly better than this and his intelligence is being wasted playing host to the majority of these hockey "experts".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad