What does Washington do differently than us?

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
As a fan, I expect the leafs to be willing to give up on guys like Sundin to find the right mix of people to win.
I personally would of moved OV years ago. The fact that they won was perhaps a confluence of desperation and other small factors that was not by design. A broken clock is exactly right twice a day. I have no use for a broken clock.
OV has been pretty much the only constantly good player, so I'd disagree with that. Kuznetsov and Bäckström are the guys you want to look at, but even so a trade of one of them would likely look pretty bad now. It's been a weird playoff with all the narratives around OV like that he's now producing (he's always produced in the playoffs), that he's now doing the little things like blocking shots (blocking as many shots per game as usually), or not being a sieve defensively (which hasn't really been the case before.)

Anyway. My philosophy is this: You build as strong of a team as you can based on what works for you, to maximize your chances. Then you are careful with your conclusions (it's human nature to attribute reasons where there might be none, something that easily leads you astray) and you don't overreact on those conclusions (performances are volatile, believe in your initial estimation and avoid trying to buy high and sell low) so you'll maximize chances each year.

but i'll be so old then!! :(
Hey, I'm old now!

Reactions: Liminality

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
OV has been pretty much the only constantly good player, so I'd disagree with that. Kuznetsov and Bäckström are the guys you want to look at, but even so a trade of one of them would likely look pretty bad now. It's been a weird playoff with all the narratives around OV like that he's now producing (he's always produced in the playoffs), that he's now doing the little things like blocking shots (blocking as many shots per game as usually), or not being a sieve defensively (which hasn't really been the case before.)

Anyway. My philosophy is this: You build as strong of a team as you can based on what works for you, to maximize your chances. Then you are careful with your conclusions (it's human nature to attribute reasons where there might be none, something that easily leads you astray) and you don't overreact on those conclusions (performances are volatile, believe in your initial estimation and avoid trying to buy high and sell low) so you'll maximize chances each year.

Hey, I'm old now!
OV had a + 3 this year. His +- has been shaky his whole career. Don't get me wrong...he is a good player. Just one dimensional. I just think he was an over-rated . He could have drawn great assets

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
Careful, thoughtful, non- knee jerk reactions to dis-appointments and "staying the course".
Leafs seem to be adopting this plan as well.
I just don't ever want to hear a "re-build" is necessary again!

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
OV had a + 3 this year. His +- has been shaky his whole career. Don't get me wrong...he is a good player. Just one dimensional. I just think he was an over-rated . He could have drawn great assets
He's been a minus player 3 out of his 13 seasons and that's an awful stat to judge anything individual by.

Reactions: HockeyThoughts

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
He's been a minus player 3 out of his 13 seasons and that's an awful stat to judge anything individual by.
A lot of low pluses . Who said it's an awful stat? I understand the issue with Dmen but not 1st line superstars

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
:laugh:

But yeah, I'd consider it a success if we can match this regular season.

Sure. That doesn't really have any bearing on what we fans should expect though. You could build a team of quality guys that have altars at home where they sacrifice monkeys to the Art of Winning, we fans should not expect cups to come raining down on us anyway.

And I certainly hope we don't do a Florida and gift a team a top line player just because they had a rough season.

Edit: After reading through this, I feel it's prudent to strongly discourage people from sacrificing monkeys. It's not right.

I'd agree if we can be a consistent 100+ point team every year, we are probably doing something right.

Monkeys are horrible poo flinging beasts, with that said , if you are sacrificing monkeys at an altar your life has probably gone wrong at some point. You should reflect on what you need to do to make better life choices.

Reactions: Nithoniniel

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
They don't have fans posting ridiculous threads about what other teams do differently than they do.

Reactions: DarkKnight

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
That's so last month :sarcasm:

Early window was only possible by trading expiring assets and getting a D etc. That window should have started next season. Now, I think we are 3yrs from anything remarkable.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Early window was only possible by trading expiring assets and getting a D etc. That window should have started next season. Now, I think we are 3yrs from anything remarkable.

Perhaps, but you'd have to believe that you'd get difference makers (really good players) for soon-to-be UFAs. Early window might have been just too idealistic and unrealistic. That's the other possibility.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
A lot of low pluses . Who said it's an awful stat? I understand the issue with Dmen but not 1st line superstars
...low pluses like this year? He's also been a "low plus" as often and he's been +10 or more.

Its a bad stat to use for anyone. Its a team stat and needs way too much context to have any meaning.

Last edited:

Beleafer4

Apr 4, 2010
I swear these threads are always a jinx for the team it msntimen. First it was Winnipeg, then Vegas. Now it's Washington.

Let's see what happens next game.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
it's an awful stat to apply to anyone

well yes and no. i think if you have a disgusting number, it stops being the "oh i got on the ice at the wrong moment." or "I was just lucky and it should have some kind of a double look. something like a -3 or a + 3, that's not anything too serious

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
They don't have fans posting ridiculous threads about what other teams do differently than they do.

Nor do they have fans who waste their time posting in threads they acknowledge as ridiculous. :sarcasm:

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
You know what I love :sarcasm: about this fan base? Everyone here is convinced they could do it better than the best people in the world.

Why the hell aren’t you then?

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
One reason to cheer for Washington to win is we are following their template. They are getting there a little late, but looks like they'll get there after all. Tank, rise from the cellar, keep drafting well, learn many hard lessons... lose when you should win, learn more hard lessons, look like they're done. And then finally...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad