What does Washington do differently than us?

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Stayed with them nicely last year, but we had Marincin, they have Orpik. We aren't that far off, let's hope it doesn't take over 10 years like Washington. I want a boat load of Cups with Matthews , although even one would be heaven.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
This one was easy. What Washington has done differently than us is that they have tried for 12 years or so.

On that note, people need to be prepared that even if our team takes another big step and turn amazing, we might still sit here (maybe not in this exact thread) after ten years never having quite gone all the way. Personally, if they over the next 15 years win one cup, I'm satisfied.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
It's pretty simple to see that the players who are the skilled physical types are dominating in this series, Smith-Pelly and Oshie are wrecking balls and LV skilled players want nothing to do with that sort of physical play.

Pugnacity, testosterone, truculence, belligerence, skill and puck luck is Washington's recipe this SCF. It seems like in every series the team that is the better bully with skill is the team that wins the series. Even LV had their 4th line bullying the other teams up till this series.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
This one was easy. What Washington has done differently than us is that they have tried for 12 years or so.

On that note, people need to be prepared that even if our team takes another big step and turn amazing, we might still sit here (maybe not in this exact thread) after ten years never having quite gone all the way. Personally, if they over the next 15 years win one cup, I'm satisfied.

My prediction , and I'm usually right less then 50% of the time ;) is the Leafs will take a step back next year. They will finish with less than 105 points.

Reactions: Nithoniniel

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018

Yikes. No thanks. That is why a team needs to be measured by more than individual skill. This is why I'm brutally frank about my evaluation of players.
I want a team that wants to win above all else. Where the individuals know that if they don't produce, they are out. Where accountability matters.

Notsince67

Apr 27, 2018
My prediction , and I'm usually right less then 50% of the time ;) is the Leafs will take a step back next year. They will finish with less than 105 points.
I don't see that as a step back. Great teams do this. Rarely do the first place teams win the cup. A step back is an exit in the second round.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
:laugh:

But yeah, I'd consider it a success if we can match this regular season.

Yikes. No thanks. That is why a team needs to be measured by more than individual skill. This is why I'm brutally frank about my evaluation of players.
I want a team that wants to win above all else. Where the individuals know that if they don't produce, they are out. Where accountability matters.
Sure. That doesn't really have any bearing on what we fans should expect though. You could build a team of quality guys that have altars at home where they sacrifice monkeys to the Art of Winning, we fans should not expect cups to come raining down on us anyway.

And I certainly hope we don't do a Florida and gift a team a top line player just because they had a rough season.

Edit: After reading through this, I feel it's prudent to strongly discourage people from sacrificing monkeys. It's not right.

Last edited:
Reactions: Shanty

thewave

Jun 17, 2011

Every group of management and coaches preaches this. Then you get guys like Leivo putting up a ppg pace only to get messed around 2 years. Babcock is the same as all others, good coach that when he has a stacked team can win. Left to his own? He lacks the h.iq to put together a roster from scratch.

Translation. Dubas better assemble the roster and Babcock better use it well. I trust a Dubas roster much more than Babcock.

Notsince67

Apr 27, 2018
:laugh:

But yeah, I'd consider it a success if we can match this regular season.

Sure. That doesn't really have any bearing on what we fans should expect though. You could build a team of quality guys that have altars at home where they sacrifice monkeys to the Art of Winning, we fans should not expect cups to come raining down on us anyway.

And I certainly hope we don't do a Florida and gift a team a top line player just because they had a rough season.

Edit: After reading through this, I feel it's prudent to strongly discourage people from sacrificing monkeys. It's not right.

As a fan, I expect the leafs to be willing to give up on guys like Sundin to find the right mix of people to win.
I personally would of moved OV years ago. The fact that they won was perhaps a confluence of desperation and other small factors that was not by design. A broken clock is exactly right twice a day. I have no use for a broken clock.

Reactions: Daisy Jane

Notsince67

Apr 27, 2018
Every group of management and coaches preaches this. Then you get guys like Leivo putting up a ppg pace only to get messed around 2 years. Babcock is the same as all others, good coach that when he has a stacked team can win. Left to his own? He lacks the h.iq to put together a roster from scratch.

Translation. Dubas better assemble the roster and Babcock better use it well. I trust a Dubas roster much more than Babcock.
Desperate management prefers to tinker than do something drastic like moving out the franchise player if necessary. I have no idea why Leivo hasn't played. Maybe Babcock is wrong but maybe he is right. I believe he understands accountability too. He is definitely better than the last couple of coaches Toronto has had. I don't see anything yet to be overly worried about it.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009

but i'll be so old then!! :(

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
As a fan, I expect the leafs to be willing to give up on guys like Sundin to find the right mix of people to win.
I personally would of moved OV years ago. The fact that they won was perhaps a confluence of desperation and other small factors that was not by design. A broken clock is exactly right twice a day. I have no use for a broken clock.
Weird analogy for a group of Leafs fans when the team has been a broken clock for a half century.

Anyways back to the topic, I've been told they built from the wings in, that's why they were unsuccessful. Better start over again, ugh.

dominicmoore19

Jun 8, 2010
Their core players are 8-10 years older than ours. That's what is different. I swear people forget how young this team is still.

Notsince67

Apr 27, 2018
Weird analogy for a group of Leafs fans when the team has been a broken clock for a half century.

Anyways back to the topic, I've been told they built from the wings in, that's why they were unsuccessful. Better start over again, ugh.
You don't have to remind me how bad they have been. That is why Toronto is a tough market

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
but i'll be so old then!! :(

I would not be satisfied with 1 cup over the next 15 years, especially if we win one in the next couple of years. The planets have aligned for the Caps these playoffs. They are not the best team IMO but they have been the best team and lost in previous years so kudos to them.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
Ovechkin(32)-Kuznetsov(26)-Wilson(24)
Vrana(22)-Backstrom(30)-Oshie(31)
Burakovsky(23)-Eller(29)-Connolly(26)
Stephenson(24)-Beagle(32)-DSP(25)

Orlov(26)-Niskanen(31)
Kempny(27)-Carlson(28)
Orpik(37)-Djoos(23)

Holtby(28)

Hyman(25)-Matthews(20)-Nylander(22)
Marleau(38)-Kadri(27)-Marner(21)
Johnsson(23)-______-Kapanen(21)
Leivo(25)-______-______

Rielly(24)-Hainsey(37)
Gardiner(27)-Zaitsev(26)
Dermott(21)-_____

Andersen(28)

They have some good young talent but their best players are in their prime. Will we have to wait till Matthews, Marner, Nylander and Rielly are in their prime? Who knows but I'm sure the years of experience help. The Caps stars have certainly learned a lot over the years in the playoffs with their previous failures. Ovie didn't make the playoffs until his 3rd NHL season and I'm sure has learned quite a lot since then.

So the difference to me is they've been at this for years and their young guys are now their vets who are also their best players. Our average age is more than likely going to drop down again with Leo, Bozak, Polak, JVR and Moore leaving for FA.

Capitals' average age in these playoffs? 27.58 with 19 players
Toronto's average age currently? 25.7 with 15 players.

Our oldest players after Hainsey and Marleau? Kadri and Gardiner at 27. Our average age not including the FA's or Marleau and Hainsey? 23.84 with 13 players.

Of course our average age could increase a little with some FA signings but we'd still be very low with our core age group and with Marlie players slotting in.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $365.00