News Article: What does success look like for the Leafs this year?

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I disagree. Boston's a more consistent team than we are but if all our players are at their best I think we have the upper hand, or are at least on equal footing.

I don't see any basis for this. Since they've been healthy, Boston's been dominant and they've been playing for a couple of months at a level we've yet to reach for more than a couple of games.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Losing in the 1st round and having JVR, Bozak, Komarov all walk away for free = failure.

Success would be the opposite and if you're sacrificing "own rentals" for a long playoff run, then you need that to have playoff success.

Since it looks like it will be Toronto vs Boston in round #1 and a loss would leave the same bitter taste in the mouth as it did when Leaf lost to the Bruins that last playoff series.

So Leafs would need to win this year to help erase the past and get revenge for that lockout shortened 1st round collapse as well for this to be considered a successful year for me. If not its going to be more of the same.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
i think the fact that we're not:

Arizona
Buffalo
Edmonton

basically still swirling in negativity, chaos etc is not good for development.
we're developing well, and things will be good.

for me it doesn't even matter if we win the series - just do well, and do the best they can. now i believe we can beat Boston. but that's not v. much the point imo.

Reactions: Liminality and Once

Once

Stop ******* crying bro
Jul 16, 2010
Losing in the 1st round and having JVR, Bozak, Komarov all walk away for free = failure.

Success would be the opposite and if you're sacrificing "own rentals" for a long playoff run, then you need that to have playoff success.

Since it looks like it will be Toronto vs Boston in round #1 and a loss would leave the same bitter taste in the mouth as it did when Leaf lost to the Bruins that last playoff series.

So Leafs would need to win this year to help erase the past and get revenge for that lockout shortened 1st round collapse as well for this to be considered a successful year for me. If not its going to be more of the same.

Of course Leaf fans would like to see revenge. But this is a completely different team since 2013 and our team's foundation is just beginning.

I think having Bozak/Komarov for the playoffs and then letting them walk is more valuable than trading them for nothing and dismantling the team's chemistry. Also, I don't think we can replace Bozak's centre position or Komarov's defensive skillset/pk ability/leadership, etc.

JVR I would be less hesitant to trade, but his production is not easily replaced. But if he nets us a solid 4th line centre, RHD, picks, prospects, or whatever is needed, I'm game.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Kids learning to play two way hockey, still be exciting and able to score goals, win games.
Make the playoffs.
Maximize assets - Trade off UFA players, that won't be resigned, for assets that help our future.
Have a good showing in the playoffs. That isn't necessarily winning X number of games, but it is competing hard, making games close, winning some of them... getting good experience.

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
I think from a team perspective, it has to be at least a playoff round win.

But this is a loaded question. When you look at the players and their progression, that is not really tied to playoff round wins (YET) I don't think. Like any player, the goal is for them to be better by seasons end than they were at the start of the season. That means different things for each player. Matthews, continue to learn to be a leader, Nylander, become more consistent from a work ethic perspective, Mitch, get stronger, Freddy, continue to get more consistent, and the list goes on. Then there are players where it just doesn't matter, Bozak, Komorov, Polak, where they are at seasons end as they are not the core players.

So, if the core players are "better", then I feel the season has been a general success.

Reactions: Daisy Jane

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Of course Leaf fans would like to see revenge. But this is a completely different team since 2013 and our team's foundation is just beginning.

I think having Bozak/Komarov for the playoffs and then letting them walk is more valuable than trading them for nothing and dismantling the team's chemistry. Also, I don't think we can replace Bozak's centre position or Komarov's defensive skillset/pk ability/leadership, etc.

JVR I would be less hesitant to trade, but his production is not easily replaced. But if he nets us a solid 4th line centre, RHD, picks, prospects, or whatever is needed, I'm game.

The more things change the more they stay the same.

Lat time we lost with JVR, Bozak, Komarov, Kadri, Reilly, Gardiner etc and this time it would be losing to the same Bergeron, Chara, Rask, Marchannd, Krejci cast on main characters.

A loss to Boston in round #1 is still a loss to Boston in round #1 as history is said to repeats itself..

Success for me would be a different end result, which then would also include sweet revenge in the process. ;)

Reactions: Once

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
What do you guys think would make this season a success for the Leafs?

• making the playoffs
  • team is not outplayed or dominated
  • no regression with the 2nd year players
  • Freddy continues to become a more consistent goalie
  • developing Kappy, Dermott, Borgman
  • holding on to all our draft picks
  • Marlies developing players and winning

Reactions: LeafsAndFlames

The Apologist

Apologizing for Leaf garbage since 1979
Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
Matthews... Good
Nylander... Good
Marner... Good
Rielly... Good
Dermott... Good
Hyman... Good
Brown... Good
Etc etc
Our young guns are our best players. Role players are playing roles, and not main ones.
I'd say it already is.

Reactions: IBeL13f

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
Matthews... Good
Nylander... Good
Marner... Good
Rielly... Good
Dermott... Good
Hyman... Good
Brown... Good
Etc etc
Our young guns are our best players. Role players are playing roles, and not main ones.
I'd say it already is.
On top of stating essentially how I feel, your post also reminded me of this:

"What's not to like?..."

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Sorry, but I don't see how trading JVR/Bozak = success?

As others have alluded to, success is developing a foundation/culture for our team. For me, it's the bigger picture for future leaf prospects and our current young stars. I'm happy with a competitive first round win or lose.
by trading them we get assets for the future than can help us become a stronger team than we are now.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Showing significant progress from last year (we’ve already been doing this), and winning a series in the playoffs.

Winning a playoff series won’t be easy, we’ll almost certainly play Boston in the 1st round, who are one of the best teams in the league. Still, I’d say for the season to be a success, we need to win a round. If we show progress in the regular season, but lose in the 1st round, that’s more of a mediocre season than a success.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Have to say I'm thrilled too that we've managed to comfortably retain a playoff spot so far while also having a couple of prospects in Kapanen and Dermott work their way into being lineup regulars (and hopefully for good).

Reactions: The Apologist

The Apologist

Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
by trading them we get assets for the future that are a long shot to help us become a stronger team than we are now.
Ftfy

I know it's HF and we love our drafts but realistically speaking the odds of these picks helping make us better or even being close to a 50-60pt 30 goal scorer or a solid NHL defenseman are not great.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Ftfy

I know it's HF and we love our drafts but realistically speaking the odds of these picks helping make us better or even being close to a 50-60pt 30 goal scorer or a solid NHL defenseman are not great.
the leafs don't need offensive players. we need good defensive players. with the big 3, and offence from the secondary's (marleau, kadri, hyman, brown, etc), offence isn't as issue. if we can get good defensive players with those picks i'd be ecstatic

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Ftfy

Some people fawn over his numbers but to me he looks like a passenger. And Bozak even more so. They don't make or break our playoff run. The play of Matthews, Nylander, Marner, Rielly, Kadri and Andersen will determine how far we go.

The Apologist

Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
Some people fawn over his numbers but to me he looks like a passenger. And Bozak even more so. They don't make or break our playoff run. The play of Matthews, Nylander, Marner, Rielly, Kadri and Andersen will determine how far we go.
Passenger or not, the odds that these picks are going to 'make or break' or have any effect on this team are being significantly overrated.
You don't simply subtract 45 goals and 100+ points from your lineup in the middle of a playoff run just because.
Its nonsensical.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
I’m already happy with how things have gone this season. Our young stars are 50 games more experienced than they were at the start of the season, and in a couple of months, they’ll be 80 games more experienced than they were to start. Having completed two years of NHL hockey, they will have doubled their NHL experience.

Ideally, I’d like a couple of playoff series victories and a conference finals appearance, but regardless, whatever happens happens, and we’ll be ready to roll next season. Hopefully with the young big three secured to very reasonable contracts.

nonikhanna

Feb 9, 2011
Maple Tree
as we are just 1 season removed from a last place finish. I think we have done really well this year. The team has undergone a huge transformation in how they play, they've adjust to it well. The sophomores might have taken a hit to their point totals, but they are soon on track to match or even exceed last years totals. As we are still a young team, our main priority for this season was the steady growth of our young stars. Players like Kadri, Bozak and JVR have taken a bit of a hit in their production but that might be due to the dump and chase system Babcock wants. However the team is adjusting well to that, and I can't wait to how we perform in the playoffs. We all saw how focused Tampa and Boston were the last time they played us. They went all out on us. I am sure this current leafs team can match that effort if it came down to it.

As long as we keep playing at a high level consistently, I will consider this season a success.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
by trading them we get assets for the future than can help us become a stronger team than we are now.
The odds of all those assets even equaling JVR is small.

Let's review what we really have here.

#1G Check Above average
#1 D Close enough, Average
#1 C Check Above average
4 top 4 D Maybe Zaitsev could be pushed down the line up, Can we agree that Rielly, Gardiner, Hainsey and Dermott are all solid?
#2 C Check Above average
RW-2 #1s, 2 2/3s Superior
LW- 1 #1, 2 #2s, #3 Superior

Flaws-

Could upgrade Zaitsev, a better RHD pushing him to the 3rd pairing would be ideal
#3 C is Bozak, good on face offs, unreliable defensive, above average on offense
#4 C Moore leaves a bit to be desired but he is serviceable

So if we grabbed a guy like Plekanec for a 2nd we suddenly have Bozak at #4 and Moore in the press box, that is a superior C

D is trickier. I personally think guys like Green are too expensive for us right now but a guy like Johnson we might get for spare parts.

As I see it we are basically 2 players away from being as good on paper as anyone. At least one of those players can be had for a 2nd round pick or there abouts.

How can a team only missing 1 or 2 pieces that are not top grouping not be a contender?

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
The odds of all those assets even equaling JVR is small.

Let's review what we really have here.

#1G Check Above average
#1 D Close enough, Average
#1 C Check Above average
4 top 4 D Maybe Zaitsev could be pushed down the line up, Can we agree that Rielly, Gardiner, Hainsey and Dermott are all solid?
#2 C Check Above average
RW-2 #1s, 2 2/3s Superior
LW- 1 #1, 2 #2s, #3 Superior

Flaws-

Could upgrade Zaitsev, a better RHD pushing him to the 3rd pairing would be ideal
#3 C is Bozak, good on face offs, unreliable defensive, above average on offense
#4 C Moore leaves a bit to be desired but he is serviceable

So if we grabbed a guy like Plekanec for a 2nd we suddenly have Bozak at #4 and Moore in the press box, that is a superior C

D is trickery. I personally think guys like Green are too expensive for us right now but a guy like Johnson we might get for spare parts.

As I see it we are basically 2 players away from being as good on paper as anyone. At least one of those players can be had for a 2nd round pick or there abouts.

How can a team only missing 1 or 2 pieces that are not top grouping not be a contender?
Because we play in a tough division. We've got 2 cup contenders in our division. We'd have go through them and then face the best team in the metro which would be very hard as well. That's why we're not a contender.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad