News Article: What does success look like for the Leafs this year?

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
cut.jpg

It's a big question for the Toronto Maple Leafs as the end of the regular season draws ever closer. "What is a successful season for the Toronto Maple Leafs?". Most people would say that success in the NHL is winning the Stanley Cup and that every other team is a loser. It's not incorrect, there can only be one winner at the end of the season when the Stanley Cup is presented. Expectations do need to be kept in line when evaluating each individual team and what they are capable of.

What does success look like for the Leafs this year?

What do you guys think would make this season a success for the Leafs?

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Its a fine season if we just make the playoffs and have a comparable 1st round of last year. Its building a foundation for a young team to eventually take the next step. A lot of young teams make that first step to the playoffs then can't do it the next year. Just look at Florida, Oilers, and Avs in recent years. Its hard to knock a team for failing to get out the first if they have to play a top 3 team in the first round.

I'd say a successful season is a top 10 finish in the league and making the 2nd round.

Its pretty clear key pieces have established themselves as legit players. Rielly is emerging as a fringe #1 (at a minimum) and Andersson cementing he is a number one capable of big minutes are huge developments. Both currently locked up to deals below market value for those positions. Hopefully Marner and Nylander can finish the year strong.

Reactions: Once and Liminality

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Its a fine season if we just make the playoffs and have a comparable 1st round of last year. Its building a foundation for a young team to eventually take the next step. A lot of young teams make that first step to the playoffs then can't do it the next year. Just look at Florida, Oilers, and Avs in recent years. Its hard to knock a team for failing to get out the first if they have to play a top 3 team in the first round.

I'd say a successful season is a top 10 finish in the league and making the 2nd round.

Its pretty clear key pieces have established themselves as legit players. Rielly is emerging as a fringe #1 (at a minimum) and Andersson cementing he is a number one capable of big minutes are huge developments. Both currently locked up to deals below market value for those positions. Hopefully Marner and Nylander can finish the year strong.

I believe Nylander put himself back on pace for 61 points with his game against Anaheim. Marner is lagging a little behind last year's production at a 55 point pace. Sophomore years aren't easy.

I think at some point we're expecting that the team will face good teams, and we need to be able to win. I think if the team was able to get a series win against Boston and get Tampa to 6-7 games there would be plenty to be happy about. I don't think defensively the team is set up to go on a big run but I think the goal this year should be to win a round. Although it is a fair point that some young teams make the playoffs and aren't able to build on that. I think we have a lot of good pieces in place and we're on the right track.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Young players stepping into the big club and performing/producing demonstrating they are NHL capable. Also our current young players continuing to develop and grow while learning from their mistakes.

Absolutely this. It seems like a lot of people are saying win a PO round but that seems pretty arbitrary and asking us to beat a better team seems like it's asking for a bit much. We're a work in progress, as long as we keep making progress I'll be happy.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Absolutely this. It seems like a lot of people are saying win a PO round but that seems pretty arbitrary and asking us to beat a better team seems like it's asking for a bit much. We're a work in progress, as long as we keep making progress I'll be happy.

If we face the Bruins in the first round, we've gotten the better of the (regular) season series in the last couple of years. They are coming on lately but we're capable of beating them if we play well.

Reactions: BTP

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
If we face the Bruins in the first round, we've gotten the better of the (regular) season series in the last couple of years. They are coming on lately but we're capable of beating them if we play well.

If we play well we have a chance against any team but if we play our best and Boston also plays their best, then we probably lose.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Looks like we'll have a better regular season finish than last season, so I'd consider that progress. We'd figure to go into our playoff series as the underdog if we remain in 3rd in our division, so while I don't know if I'd call losing there unsuccessful, winning a series and moving on to the next round would certainly be successful in my books.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
For a good portion, success would be moving JVR, Bozak, and Komarov at the deadline.

IMO, with no significant regression and some players improving this season has already been a success.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
I feel like we've talked about this, but success is simply the growth and development of the core young players.

Seeing the progression and success of the first line has been tremendous. Seeing the progression of Rielly and Zaitsev, outside of their injuries, has been good.

Seeing Dermott graduate, Mitch Marner develop his two way game. These are the things I consider successes. The young players responding to added pressure and anxiety of the fan base/media has been great to see as well.

Stealing a playoff series would be the cherry on top of an already successful season, IMO.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
We're in a Playoff spot for the 2nd straight year in year 2 with our young core, while our top PPG players are Matthews, Nylander, Marner, and Rielly, and the rookies coming up from the Marlies have been able to push our lesser players for spots while showing signs that the development path in place is working. I consider that a successful year at this point.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Success this season = > than a 1st round loss.

An extremely weak Atlantic Div means a playoff birth is all but assured with 30 games to go, so that is not success to simply get in this year.

Last year Leafs lost in the 1st round and if that is all then do this year is bow out in the 1st round again that is not equal to success but essentially failure.

So therefore making it past the 1st round = progress and improvement and building on the past.

tom leafers

Jan 25, 2017
Toronto
Success for me would be a 100 pt plus season and having at least a competitive first round playoff serious. I wont be disappointed in a first round exit as long as they play well because look who we will have to play. Either Boston or Tampa who have both been good teams for a long time stacked with really good veterans.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
1. Trade JVR Bozak Martin and maybe Komarov
2. Get a player like Domi before the PO that you intend to keep
3. Shift Nylander to C
4. Give Leivo / Kapanen a fair shot on a productive line.
5. Win 1 round in the PO

Grand Slam +

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Once

Stop ******* crying bro
Jul 16, 2010
Sorry, but I don't see how trading JVR/Bozak = success?

As others have alluded to, success is developing a foundation/culture for our team. For me, it's the bigger picture for future leaf prospects and our current young stars. I'm happy with a competitive first round win or lose.

kk87

Feb 12, 2015
Waterloo, ON

I disagree. Boston's a more consistent team than we are but if all our players are at their best I think we have the upper hand, or are at least on equal footing.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Success this season = > than a 1st round loss.

An extremely weak Atlantic Div means a playoff birth is all but assured with 30 games to go, so that is not success to simply get in this year.

Last year Leafs lost in the 1st round and if that is all then do this year is bow out in the 1st round again that is not equal to success but essentially failure.

So therefore making it past the 1st round = progress and improvement and building on the past.
I'm torn on this because I think we have the 2 best teams in the division. So if we have a war against them and say lose in triple OT of game 7 in round 1, is that not progression? The team showed they could keep up with Washington, but I don't know if they scared them. If they show they are equal to legitimate cup contenders, but face them in round 1 instead of the ECF, does that not show more than say beating a mediocre team in the first round and getting filled in by a contender?

Didn't think this was in the cards this year, I definitely expected the Bruins to take a major step back

Reactions: Gary Nylund

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
Sorry, but I don't see how trading JVR/Bozak = success?

As others have alluded to, success is developing a foundation/culture for our team. For me, it's the bigger picture for future leaf prospects and our current young stars. I'm happy with a competitive first round win or lose.
This 100%
Continue the process and let these kids once again get accustomed to the competitiveness in the playoffs. The more they get into the playoffs, the more they'll be ready for it and know what it takes to battle in it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad