The Athletic "What does Sabres’ second half of season hold? 5 things to watch"

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
In line with putting the first half behind them and trying to build for the future, Vogl did an article putting his thoughts on what to look for going into the 2nd half of this season.

What does Sabres' second half of season hold? 5 things to watch

Obviously he touches on the kids who are here (Quinn, Krebs, even Samuelsson and Luukkonen) and mentions the ones who will (Power) or might (Peterka, Ruotsalainen, even Weissbach) be along by the end of the season. He also talks up Mittelstadt and oddly enough, Skinner.

-------------------------

Some thoughts I've kicked around are seeing them move to being at .500 for the last 40 games in terms of points percentage as an overall step forward.

Individually - Dahlin's growth and consistency. We're starting to see him put up the scoring numbers from the blueline (4-9-13 in his last 15 games) and make plays that lead to dangerous chances for himself and his teammates but don't wind up in the net basically every night.

Cozens development. In Vogl's article, Dylan isn't mentioned once. We've seen some very good play that teases at what is there, what he might be. But figuring him out and getting him going down the stretch is as important as trying to integrate Krebs or Quinn into the lineup.

Thompson's sustainability. We had a very good opening quarter to a third of the season from Tage. We're seeing old habits creep back in - over-reliance on stickhandling in areas that lead to dangerous chances against, simple plays being missed and instead attempts at more complex, less-successful offensive plays.

Jokiharju's overall game. We pencil him in as Dahlin's partner a lot, almost as though they are conjoined. Is he starting to come into his own as well? Or should they break them up and let them do similar things on different pairs? Some of the numbers are not flattering.

This falls in line with the coaching and also individual performance: but where have the Swedish 70's gone? If Olofsson is nursing something that needs surgery, shut it down. He's still putting up assists (12 in the 26 games since he drew back in) but hasn't found the twine for a goal that's counted in that span either (hello, Ranger GTG apology from the league!). Similarly, Asplund started off complimenting Thompson well and since Olofsson got hurt and they moved Asplund to RW, then down the lineup as a winger, then to C, then back to wing... he has only 1 goal and 5 assists in 31 games. We know from both eyeball and data points that they work with Thompson and Thompson works with them - especially the defense that Asplund brings to Thompson as a dyad. Granato has almost stubbornly not put these guys back together and it's just bizarre to see on-ice success ignored for not that results.

Coaching and performance, Part Deux - FIX THE PK. Their are some serious flaws to how they penalty kill that are mostly on forward positioning. They have some guys with wingspan they are working into their top 2 PK pairs (Thompson and Tuch) that can be disruptive, but we see the lower forward blowing his positioning or the higher forward being way, way too high and allowing a short-area 4-on-3 far too often. Yes, injuries are an issue, yet players who should be viewed as long-term regulars are not doing the right things here and it's hurting them on the scoreboard. Dependable PKing... let's see it.

Last edited:

Guy Tetreault

Dec 28, 2021
Québec, Canada
Ca prend beaucoup plus de maturité et de cohésion entre les joueurs. En général, il y a beaucoup trop de jeunes joueurs pour stabiliser l'équipe. Thompson (avec son physique), créé beaucoup d'occasion de compter. Cozens a beaucoup de potentiel offensif, mais se fait ramasser défensivement. Il est encore trop jeune. Dahlin, malgré son âge est hallucinant à voir jouer tellement qu'il a du talent. Il fait des feintes inexplicables. Il voie le jeu sans bon sens. Je n'ai jamais vue un fabriquant de jeu aussi bon que lui. Skinner est en train de retrouver sa confiance. Tuch est un des rares joueurs de Buffalo à jouer dans les 2 sens de la patinoire. Luukonnen est très calme. Buffalo devra bien s'en occuper pour le développer convenablement. Je pense que Buffalo pourrait jouer pour 500 dans la 2e moitié de la saison.

Reactions: Dirty Dog

oldgoalie

Goaltending matters.
Jan 7, 2004
VA
Ca prend beaucoup plus de maturité et de cohésion entre les joueurs. En général, il y a beaucoup trop de jeunes joueurs pour stabiliser l'équipe. Thompson (avec son physique), créé beaucoup d'occasion de compter. Cozens a beaucoup de potentiel offensif, mais se fait ramasser défensivement. Il est encore trop jeune. Dahlin, malgré son âge est hallucinant à voir jouer tellement qu'il a du talent. Il fait des feintes inexplicables. Il voie le jeu sans bon sens. Je n'ai jamais vue un fabriquant de jeu aussi bon que lui. Skinner est en train de retrouver sa confiance. Tuch est un des rares joueurs de Buffalo à jouer dans les 2 sens de la patinoire. Luukonnen est très calme. Buffalo devra bien s'en occuper pour le développer convenablement. Je pense que Buffalo pourrait jouer pour 500 dans la 2e moitié de la saison.
"It takes a lot more maturity and cohesion between the players. In general, there are far too many young players to stabilize the team.

Thompson (with his physique), created a lot of scoring opportunities. Cozens has a lot of offensive potential, but gets picked up defensively.

He is still too young. Dahlin, despite his age is amazing to see playing so much he has talent.

He makes inexplicable feints. He sees the game without common sense.

I have never seen a game maker as good as him. Skinner is regaining his confidence.

Tuch is one of the few Buffalo players to play both ways of the rink.

Luukonnen is very quiet. Buffalo will have to take good care of it to develop it properly. I think Buffalo could play for 500 in the 2nd half of the season."

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

Appreciate your responses and my translation software seems to spin these up, but HF has a rule about conducting conversations in English. Would hate to see you get dinged.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
5 things to watch?
gloom, despair, agony (on me)... deep dark depression, excessive misery...

In all seriousness, the overall development vector is pointing up, but with all the injuries and lineup gyrations, even ignoring the goaltending carousel, it's hard to watch any collective team play and get a flavor for the cohesion of the team moving forward.

It is, as both the posters above and Vogl comment, more individuals to watch than a team.

Would be nice to see effort every night from the opening whistle, regardless of the lineup. Had that at the beginning of the season in spades. Less so, now. We are also seeing more sticking up for each other physically but that larvae has a long way to go until metamorphosis, and we can't tell if it will it be a pacifist butterfly or stinging wasp when it emerges. Admittedly, I've only seen about 75% of the games since the New Year, and sometimes multi-tasking through segments. But give me those things, as opposed to lackadaisical passivity, and the lineup roulette won't matter so much.

Reactions: ceky and beerme1

Man of Principles

The Krueger Effect
Nov 30, 2011
Funny he didn't talk about Cozens when he's been the brightest spot this season to me. Nice to see him finding his offensive game. My favorite thing about him is he's versatile. You can put him in a checking line role or scoring role and he'll contribute. Sky's the limit for him, but showing that he is versatile can only benefit him (and the Sabres). If this team ever becomes stacked at forward, I love the idea of him with 2 offensive wingers in a secondary scoring role meant to dominate mismatches.

Bearbait

Mar 4, 2011
I think that the second half performance is heavily reliant on this goalie situation improving. That's not to say that the skaters in front of them have not had a hand in some of this, but having a goalie that the team has confidence in back there would go a long way in my opinion.

I'm not saying I have the answer, because I don't, this is a bad situation all the way around. But it sure would be nice to see some consistency in net and hopefully put up a few points. Getting someone back there that gets hot and goes on a run right now would be a welcome sight.

beerme1

Jun 27, 2011
If Olofsson is nursing something that needs surgery, shut it down. He's still putting up assists (12 in the 26 games since he drew back in) but hasn't found the twine for a goal that's counted in that span either

I've been saying this and getting shot down for it. He's not helping us if he's playing through some injury that prevents him from scoring goals. Period I say.

Reactions: buffalowing88

buffalowing88

Aug 11, 2008
Charlotte, NC
I've been saying this and getting shot down for it. He's not helping us if he's playing through some injury that prevents him from scoring goals. Period I say.

It feels like his TDL value is shot so I guess it is what it is.
I'm going over the lines next year over and over and I don't know what his best fit would be with us.
Quinn and Krebs have to be on the roster. We have one more grace year so may as well play them. They're ready.
Mitts, if healthy, deserves minutes. He's been impressive when healthy.
Cozens and Tage are top-six.
Skinner has been sort of a pleasant surprise and deserves to be with guys who can get him the puck.
Tuch needs to be getting minutes as well.

VO is becoming an odd man out the longer he falters.

Reactions: beerme1

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

BG82

Jan 25, 2008
Niagara Falls
What I want the 2nd half

- Continued Development (Luukonen, Krebs, Quinn, Cozens, Dahlin, Samuelsson)
- Team Continuity
- A .500 record
- A gold medal and NCAA chip for Owen Power
- Cody Eakin, Anders Bjork and Robert Hagg traded or given away
- No Aaron Dell
- Long playoff push from the Amerks

Reactions: Chainshot

dugman

Mar 21, 2008
Appreciate your responses and my translation software seems to spin these up, but HF has a rule about conducting conversations in English. Would hate to see you get dinged.
I’ve always had the chutzpah to think that my posts contain a certain je ne sai quois, perhaps a little heavy on schadenfreud, and maybe guilty of assuming others share my weltanschaaung. I’ve even pointed out a few post hoc ergo propter hoc situations where I felt it was appropriate. If the mods have a problem with this, we’ll have to settle it mano a mano.

Reactions: KiwiGriff

slip

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 19, 2005
What I want the 2nd half

- Continued Development (Luukonen, Krebs, Quinn, Cozens, Dahlin, Samuelsson)
- Team Continuity
- A .500 record
- A gold medal and NCAA chip for Owen Power
- Cody Eakin, Anders Bjork and Robert Hagg traded or given away
- No Aaron Dell
I'll take a .500 record. Lay the groundwork for next season.

Reactions: BG82 and Chainshot

Strexvale

Mar 8, 2007
West Seneca, NY
I'm also looking for at least a .500 record, but failing that I just want to see what this team looks like at anything even resembling full health. This season's been impossible to get a feel for how they'll look outside of individual performances because of how deep they've had to go into the roster. I mostly just want to see a team that starts to really gel post-trade deadline once they've gotten rid of some of the dead weight.

Reactions: Chainshot

beerme1

Jun 27, 2011
What I want the 2nd half

- No Aaron Dell

What?!!! And give up our only toughness on the team? He may be ok in Roch but I doubt he backstops them to a long run. Even Roch needs someone better than Dell who should never see an NHL net again.
Seeing how he can goon it up though, I think he's destined for the ECHL. See ya Dell.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Circling back around to this...

9-12-1 in 22 of the 41 second half games is .431 winning percentage which isn't the worst they have been, but not yet to .500 hockey. I would like 10 wins in their final 19. I think that's possible, even with their upcoming schedule being hard.

They have most definitely not fixed the PK.

Dahlin has dialed it in and is beginning to be something special.

Tage and the top line have continued to provide offensive output.

There has been new-found 2ndary scoring as others are starting to get into the act. Olofsson has 6 in his last 15 games - but the assists have almost completely dried up. Asplund is still goal starved, without one since November 21st. Krebs is hot and cold as one would expect from a rookie, though his creativity is most welcome. Mittelstadt might be over his injuries and could use a solid final 19 to show his worth.

Samuelsson has been very good.

Bryson getting worked in on the right side has been a definite find.

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
Thanks for bumping this. Not to make excuses, either, but the 400+ man games lost to injury definitely has played a big part in the rocky season. We're certainly seeing glimmers of the future core on a nightly basis - if Dahlin doesn't have the best game, there's almost always another young player who steps it up. There's a lot to be optimistic about.

Reactions: Old Navy Goat

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
Five names to look forward to saying good bye too:
Cody Eakin
Aaron Dell
Will Butcher
Malcolm Subban
Brandon Davidson

Hopefully we can look into the start of next season / this offseason and see improved players considering Buffalo. While I realize, that we're still near the bottom, there are positive signs. If we're able to get Power over the dotted line, our left side of the defense core is secure: Dahlin (can switch to offside), Power, Bryson, Samuelsson, Johnson, _______ insert veteran. Bringing back Miller on a team friendly deal, wouldn't be the worst thing. If that's something he wants.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad