What does Ottawa need more?

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Turris had 58 pts so with 5 more goals he'd have 63.

Turris has a 53 pts pace per 82 games with the Sens in 3 different seasons, while he was 22 to 24 y/o.

I don't think he will score 70-90 pts but 55-65 is my guess for the foreseeable future. He is becoming our Patrice Bergeron, which is a solid 1A center. Now it's up to Zibanejad to be that other 55-65 pts 2-way force.

I agree but let's not care too much about Phillips and Neil if their roles are reduced with time advancing. It would mean that youngers are stepping to the challenge. Well, I hope MacLean agrees.

And we still dominated the Habs all year, even when they won (thanks to Price and Refs)

They got Price, we got Lehner
They have Subban, we have Karlsson
They have Plekanec, we have Turris
They have Pacioretty, we have Ryan
They have Gallagher, we have Lazar
They have Galchenyuk, we have Zibanejad
They have Markov, we have Ceci
They have Eller, we have Pageau

The difference is the age and experience. I believe our group has more potential. But we have to surround them with solid vets. Anderson, Methot, MacArthur and Legwand is a good start but we need to spend more money, obviously.

My mistake, for some reason i thought he had topped out at 53. Still though, that kind of offense even when coupled with his two way game doesn't make him a top tier center in the league. Like you said, it could make him a 1-A/B. He isn't on the same level as Bergeron in my opinion, even if he starts hitting 65ish points. Right now anyway, he is a streaky player so if he rounds out his game and brings it consistently that could change.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Well im going to disagree on most of that, except the Chara part he is slowing down. However Hamilton, Krug are getting better and Seidenberg is healthy again.

Tampa got a lot better and is already better than the sens and the sens are probably going to be about the same as last year given the growth of the players compared to who they lost.

Montreal will be better they had a good offseason cut all the dead weight more opportunity for its young players to grow into more important roles.

Florida added a ton of character and has some young players that are only getting better. (Bolland, Mitchell, Thornton plus a full season of Luongo).

Buffalo got better because frankly they cant be any worse and added some nice pieces.

I think everyone has to be realistic about the expectations of the team compared to the rest of the division. They are probably a lottery team.

I don't agree at all that this is a lottery team. It is more like a team that is not good enough to make the playoffs and not bad enough to land a top 5 pick type of team.

It is really quite laughable that you think buffalo got better. News flash, they DIDN'T. People need to stop overrating how good the sabres will be. They were absolutely awful last season. They did not add anybody besides maybe moulson that will be able to win them more games. The panthers still did not add a goal scorer, which is what they needed the most being that they could not score last season. Their defense still has a huge question mark on it just like the sens defense does. Montreal got worse in my opinion. They lost 2 character guys. Lets not forget that their were times last season where they were complete horse **** and had to rely on only price to win games. They also did not replace the offense of Vanek yet.

Tampa is the ONLY team that got way better in our division. No other team in our division really did anything to improve except for some minor changes

Last edited:

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
IMO Ottawa needs another top 6 forward & here`s why. First, while our defence is young & inexperienced I think Ottawa has 3 top 4 defencemen already in Karlsson, Ceci & Wiercioch. I think Wiercioch will get better & better each yr & it`s hard to find big good skating offensive defencemen like him. We have already seen how good Ceci is at 19 yrs old playing against men in the best league in the world. Some may argue that Methot is also a top 4 defenceman & he may be in Ottawa & is a good partner for Karlsson but Claesson could be as well. I also think Cowen & Gryba will be much better this yr & hopefully Cowen will continue to grow into the position. Boroweicki is a perfect 7th defenceman & Phillips should have retired.

At forward Ottawa has MacArthur, Turris, Ryan, Legwand & Michalek slotted for the top 6. For those that don`t think Michalek or Legwand are top 6 players let me remind you that they have been for for most of their careers & in Ottawa this yr with the players we have, they should be again. I think because Chiasson was part of the Spezza deal they will give him the first shot at playing in the top six as well. That leaves Hoffman, Zibanejad & Stone to play together on a young 3rd line but I think they will also use Condra instead of Hoffman or Stone at times. Then there is the infamous 4th line that people love to crap on here Greening, Smith & Neil which I don`t see changing, for a while anyway. I think they stay together.

I think if BM makes a deal it will be at the trade deadline when players are cheap & quite likely for an expiring contract just like they did for Hemsky. Chris Stewart which is much talked about fits this example since he is in his last yr & is a big body tough forward who can score. That acquisition would push Chiasson down a line & would make the Sens a very big, fast, tough team & very hard to play against. A good playoff team I think.

scallionjj11

FOREVERALFIE
Jun 10, 2009
East Coast
since we have the worst forward group in the NHL, just trade for Drouin for nothing, and we'll be good to go

i'm sorry and your right that was a ridiculous trade offer, oh please how will you ever forgive me. I live in halifax and i've honestly heard more than a couple stories now about how he goes out on the town and gets all gooned up and ends up running into the law at some point.

I thought maybe these we're beginning to be issues with management and maybe they'd be open to trading him, i know i know then why would we want him? Ottawa is somewhat close to home for him and maybe he would behave better?

once again i know the trade offer was ridiculous and is just a pipe dream.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
The team gave up 261 goals last year and the last three years has been among the leaders in shots gave up per game.

Yo bro, tell me our rank in GA 2 years ago. Thanks for the nit-picking context(like usual).

Anderson put up a .941 save percentage and the team had close to .930+ shorthanded that season. It's extremely unlikely to expect anything above .917 to .920 from Anderson over a 50 game run. Unless MacLean's new style drastically cuts down on shots against (no more than twenty shots against per game), we're probably a bubble team like the last few years. Also, bear in mind that Norris Karlsson wasn't enough for us to win a playoff round. The team needs a ton of help on the backend; up front it's ok but we could use an elite centre and winger.

Norris Karlsson? You mean against NYR where he was the best player not named either goalie? He almost damn well did.

Heck, NYR changed their entire system in order to shutdown Karlsson.

Our only problem was that our best threats on offense were "no-show-Spezza" and "3rd-line-finishing-ability-in-the-clutch-Michalek"

Michalek missed a wide-open net with Lundqvist sprawling for deal life with 5 minutes to go in game 7 in 3rd period.

Aragorn likes Weircioch?!

:skeptic:

He's the softest, slowest dman we've got...

6'5, my friend.

6'5.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Norris Karlsson? You mean against NYR where he was the best player not named either goalie? He almost damn well did.

Heck, NYR changed their entire system in order to shutdown Karlsson.

Our only problem was that our best threats on offense were "no-show-Spezza" and "3rd-line-finishing-ability-in-the-clutch-Michalek"

Michalek missed a wide-open net with Lundqvist sprawling for deal life with 5 minutes to go in game 7 in 3rd period.

This is so true and cannot be reiterated enough.

That was against the #1 team in the East that reached ECF and was leading 2-1 against the Devils.

#1 threats were Spezza and Michalek other than Karlsson. Now you have Turris, Zibanejad, MacArthur, Ryan... Stone, Chiasson, Legwand... So much more depth.

The young D will naturally be better and the goaltending isn't very worrying.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
This is so true and cannot be reiterated enough.

That was against the #1 team in the East that reached ECF and was leading 2-1 against the Devils.

#1 threats were Spezza and Michalek other than Karlsson. Now you have Turris, Zibanejad, MacArthur, Ryan... Stone, Chiasson, Legwand... So much more depth.

The young D will naturally be better and the goaltending isn't very worrying.

Exactly. Now imagine if we get one more lethal forward option and Cowen steps up.

Like I've said before, Karlsson being 100% is like the Sens making a trade for a Giroux type player. If Karlsson doesn't improve over next year I'll be heartbroken but I highly doubt it. You either have arguably best player in the game or top 5 defender.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
We definitely need a top 4 defenseman more than a top 6 winger. As a budget team we can't afford to be going up against teams that spend to the cap trying to outscore them 4-3 and 5-4. We can't afford high-end offensive talents. What we can afford is two-way players that can effectively neutralize offensive players through defensive awareness and hard work. If we're adding a forward, it should be a two-way winger that can put up 40-50 points while playing defense-first hockey.

We should look at adding a top 4 defenseman, but I can see why management wants to keep our young defensemen and hope they improve. Cowen is a beast in the making. Wiercioch is 6'5 and very productive offensively, and should be able to improve his defense over time. Ceci obviously is a top 4 defenseman in the making. The pieces are in place for us to have a good defense in the future. I guess we just have to hope that some of these young players to take a step forward and solidify themselves as top 4 guys next season.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
We definitely need a top 4 defenseman more than a top 6 winger. As a budget team we can't afford to be going up against teams that spend to the cap trying to outscore them 4-3 and 5-4. We can't afford high-end offensive talents. What we can afford is two-way players that can effectively neutralize offensive players through defensive awareness and hard work. If we're adding a forward, it should be a two-way winger that can put up 40-50 points while playing defense-first hockey.

We should look at adding a top 4 defenseman, but I can see why management wants to keep our young defensemen and hope they improve. Cowen is a beast in the making. Wiercioch is 6'5 and very productive offensively, and should be able to improve his defense over time. Ceci obviously is a top 4 defenseman in the making. The pieces are in place for us to have a good defense in the future. I guess we just have to hope that some of these young players to take a step forward and solidify themselves as top 4 guys next season.

Stone, Lazar, Prince, Pageau etc...

We have too many of those players potentially upcoming. We don't have top-end talent. Alright we add another 2 way 40-50 point player then what?

Ryan
MacArthur
Berglund
Stone
Chiasson

I see great supporting cast but no elite talent outside of Ryan. Heck even Ryan still needs a ways to get back there.

We'll be stuck in mediocrity. Especially with no Giroux's or Getzlaf's down the middle. Yea we need a top 4 D but why get one now when we have 2-3 players in the system who could fill that role as soon as next year? We aren't gonna compete next year anyway so why bother wasting assets.

On the other hand, a great winger will grow with the team when it's ready to contend and fill a need we would desperately need.

Of course Ottawa needs a top 4 defender. Heck, they need a top 3 defender. A top 4 keeps them in mediocrity as well. With that being said, I think there is a very high chance that one of: Ceci, Cowen, Wiercioch fill that role sometime in the next 2 years. Same can't be said about top end winger position unless Puempel breaks through or Guptill leads the way.

Don't get me wrong, I'd be completely down to get a guy like Berglund but that's if the asking price is through the roof for someone with more skill like O'Reilly, Kane, Huberdeau, Pavelski.

I still think Sharp's our man.

DISCLAIMER: Chiasson or Stone could very well end up being 25+ goal scorers and 60 point players that helps this team moving forward. Zibanejad could end up being our Kopitar or Turris our Bergeron or whatever. I'm just taking realistic expectations. Better to fill a potential and current need then to solve it later when you have plethora of it. I.e acquiring Bishop. Some may say same thing about defender issue but it's more likely Ceci becomes number 3 defender than Stone becomes number 2 winger. Maybe I'm wrong and others see things differently.

Last edited:

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Well hopefully Anderson can channel his inner Hasek and drop a .940+sv% again

I don't think we'll be 2nd in GA, but a 940sv% isn't necessary for the team to do well next year.

In comparission to the lockout shortened season, we have the following changes:

Gonchar vs Return of a healthy Karlsson (edge Karlsson)
Alfredsson vs Ryan (even)
Silfverberg vs MacArthur (edge MacArthur)
Latendress/Regin vs Chaisson (Edge Chaisson)
Benoit vs Cowen (draw)
Daugavins/Conacher vs Stone/Hoffman (edge Stone/Hoffman)

Add to that the development of Zibanejad, Turris and addition of Legwand.

Most of those changes are upgrades, some are draws. The team has far better depth than it did in 2012/13 and will certainly be a better defensive squad that the one that gave up 261 goals last year.

If we can bring the shots against down to 30 or less, and maintain a sv% of .915, both of which should be attainable with the team as assembled, we'd allow no more than 209 goals, which is good enough for around 10th league wide.

Then it a matter of scoring goals; as mentioned the team is deeper than the 12/13 squad, and is unlikely to do worse than the 6.01 sh% that team put up. The team average over 30 shots per 60 mins without Spezza on the ice this past season, so it's reasonable to expect that trend to continue (they did it in the lockout shortened season too).

This team, as assembled, can be a middle of the road team both offensively and defensively, with the potential of be better than that in both regards. While we wond likely get the goaltending from 12/13, we are certainly better in other regards.

chipsens

Post and in...
Jan 9, 2013
Sens GAA will be lower this year I predict. Young D will improve (or else), and King K will be able to pivot on his fully-healed Achilles so he won't be beat...ever!

chipsens

Post and in...
Jan 9, 2013
At times last season (many times) I thought the COACHING OF SPECIAL TEAMS was not up to snuff...puzzling, given past solid performance (except spotty 'tending at times). Maybe upgrade Luke to assistant coach?

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
At times last season (many times) I thought the COACHING OF SPECIAL TEAMS was not up to snuff...puzzling, given past solid performance (except spotty 'tending at times). Maybe upgrade Luke to assistant coach?

Noooooooooooooo!!

Where we draft (out of the top 10, usually), we don't get guaranteed stud prospects. For us, development is key if we want to continue having a decent pipeline. We absolutely need a great coaching staff in Bingo.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I definitely agree that our AHL team needs to be focused on building championship calibre teams

A lot of AHL clubs are simply used as development tools for individual players but, since we're a cap floor team at the NHL level, we especially need to foster team building and team development alongside individual talents

That all starts in Bingo. I'm usually a fan of more holistic approaches in most things, I'm definitely biased.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Noooooooooooooo!!

Where we draft (out of the top 10, usually), we don't get guaranteed stud prospects. For us, development is key if we want to continue having a decent pipeline. We absolutely need a great coaching staff in Bingo.

I recall reading that Luke is in Bingo and wants to stay there because his daughter is in University down there. If that is true, then I would leave him there for now but promise him a coaching job in Ottawa when appropriate. I definitely would like to see him coach our defencemen in the NHL in the future.

I think our some our defencemen are a bit ponerous and slow skating, so I would like to see an upgrade in the top 4. Perhaps using Wiercioch and Ceci in the top 4 roles will work out. I like the Methot - Karlsson pairing as both skate well and complement each other. It would be very interesting to see what a Wiercioch - Karlsson pairing could do.

I am looking forward to Borowiecki being the lineup next year as he will add some "truculence" which is missing in our current defencemen!

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I don't think we'll be 2nd in GA, but a 940sv% isn't necessary for the team to do well next year.

In comparission to the lockout shortened season, we have the following changes:

Gonchar vs Return of a healthy Karlsson (edge Karlsson)
Alfredsson vs Ryan (even)
Silfverberg vs MacArthur (edge MacArthur)
Latendress/Regin vs Chaisson (Edge Chaisson)
Benoit vs Cowen (draw)
Daugavins/Conacher vs Stone/Hoffman (edge Stone/Hoffman)

Add to that the development of Zibanejad, Turris and addition of Legwand.

Most of those changes are upgrades, some are draws. The team has far better depth than it did in 2012/13 and will certainly be a better defensive squad that the one that gave up 261 goals last year.

If we can bring the shots against down to 30 or less, and maintain a sv% of .915, both of which should be attainable with the team as assembled, we'd allow no more than 209 goals, which is good enough for around 10th league wide.

Then it a matter of scoring goals; as mentioned the team is deeper than the 12/13 squad, and is unlikely to do worse than the 6.01 sh% that team put up. The team average over 30 shots per 60 mins without Spezza on the ice this past season, so it's reasonable to expect that trend to continue (they did it in the lockout shortened season too).

This team, as assembled, can be a middle of the road team both offensively and defensively, with the potential of be better than that in both regards. While we wond likely get the goaltending from 12/13, we are certainly better in other regards.

I pretty much agree with what you have said. I think MacArthur plays a very similar type of game as Alfredson and see him as a direct younger replacement for Alfie. Kuddos to Murray for signing him.

Ryan is better than Alfredson at this point because he is younger and can score more. I am an Alfie fan for his entire career but I would take Ryan at this point in time.

I think the Senators will try to reduce the goals against next year by playing a tighter defensive style with fast back checking and closer coverage in their own zone. That will affect their offensive performance but will likely result in more wins and making the playoffs.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
It's going to be REALLY hard for them not to improve, at least a little, simply based on how bad they were last year.

There's no way they can be consistently that bad & that unlucky for 164 games in a row.

I agree. Cowen and Weircioch were both going through sophomore slumps of sorts. Cowen it was games played that equalled out to less than 2 seasons. Even if both of them are only marginally better, it gives the Sens more options on the backend.

Im not sure why defensemen seem to drop off in their second year, but it happens way too often not to be a thing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad