What does Lars Eller have to do?

mus1cx

Oct 6, 2014
Toronto
Chuckie should be centring Patch. I don't think Plecky is that good of a playmaker and I think he really lacks chemistry with Galchenyuk. Habs are seriously missing a top 6 forward. They're weak on the wing. By season's end I see Sekac moving into a top 6 role and Parenteau moving down with Eller (which isn't a bad thing). Eller should follow a similar path to Soderberg with the Bruins. If he turns into a bonafide 3rd line centre a la poor man's Jordan Staal with the Penguins I think that would be a huge success for MTL. I think he would struggle in a pure offensive top 2 centre role.

Lol probably less so than DD.

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
Eller is already Jordan Staal lite in terms of production and performance (even though Staal has always gotten decent PP time to work with and better linemates in general), but how can you find out if he's more than Jordan Staal lite if he's never given the opportunity to play with offensive threats?

When he played with one of our main offensive weapons two years ago, he became our most productive centre, averaging only a minute of PP time. Last year, he goes on a scoring drought after an injury and his overall performance is mediocre. But all of that time guess what? No changes to his wings (Bourque, Bournival, Moen) and still ends up with 26 points- out-scoring these team's third liners by a fair margin.

Right now, he's outplaying David Desharnais, out-producing him when ice time is put in context. But he's nothing more than a 3rd liner who should get some PP time? He's not playing in front of Bergeron and Krejci either. He's playing in front of two guys who don't necessarily out-produce or outplay him to the point where he shouldn't be allowed to be given the opportunity to play a more offensive role with more offensive players when they falter to the task.

So my question is: How are the Montreal canadiens in a position where they can have a guy like Eller and slot him as a luxury third liner? Because that's what he is with this team.

Last edited:

MsChanandlerBong

The Chan-Chan Man
Jul 29, 2011
Ottawa
Eller is already Jordan Staal lite in terms of production and performance (even though Staal has always gotten decent PP time to work with and better linemates in general), but how can you find out if he's more than Jordan Staal lite if he's never given the opportunity to play with offensive threats?

When he played with one of our main offensive weapons two years ago, he became our most productive centre, averaging only a minute of PP time. Last year, he goes on a scoring drought after an injury and his overall performance is mediocre. But all of that time guess what? No changes to his wings (Bourque, Bournival, Moen) and still ends up with 26 points- out-scoring these team's third liners by a fair margin.

Right now, he's outplaying David Desharnais, out-producing him when ice time is put in context. But he's nothing more than a 3rd liner who should get some PP time? He's not playing in front of Bergeron and Krejci either. He's playing in front of two guys who don't necessarily out-produce or outplay him to the point where he shouldn't be allowed to be given the opportunity to play a more offensive role with more offensive players when they falter to the task.

So my question is: How are the Montreal canadiens in a position where they can have a guy like Eller and slot him as a luxury third liner? Because that's what he is with this team.

Mediocre? How is one assist in 50 games mediocre...I'm pretty sure he was one of our most frustrating forwards during that 50 game stretch.

Eller is succeeding this season and outperforming DD because he's in a position to succeed...Eller is where he should be. A situation where he can play defensively, win important faceoffs, and play along the boards down low. Is he more skilled offensively than DD? I really am not sure. He has the physical presence FOR SURE, but Eller is a possession player and he always makes the same mistakes when he gets too confident or too in his head. Skates in the zone and ignores his wingers, wraps around the net, and turns over the puck. Leave him where he is with Sekac and he will continue to succeed.

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
Mediocre? How is one assist in 50 games mediocre...I'm pretty sure he was one of our most frustrating forwards during that 50 game stretch.

Eller is succeeding this season and outperforming DD because he's in a position to succeed...Eller is where he should be. A situation where he can play defensively, win important faceoffs, and play along the boards down low. Is he more skilled offensively than DD? I really am not sure. He has the physical presence FOR SURE, but Eller is a possession player and he always makes the same mistakes when he gets too confident or too in his head. Skates in the zone and ignores his wingers, wraps around the net, and turns over the puck. Leave him where he is with Sekac and he will continue to succeed.

Despite the drought which was something around 30 games without a goal, Eller finished the season just under the points standards for third liners in the league.

Here's the thing that I find ironic in what you say; Eller is outperforming Desharnais.

Hello?

Is that a normal thing now? Absolutely not. Is it the first time it happens? Not either. Has Eller's role with the team expanded offensively when it happens, nop. Is Desharnais put in a position to succeed? Yes. Is he succeeding? No.

So, despite of his assumed tunnel vision, why does he manage to still out perform the guy who's only purpose is to produce in more favorable offensive situations? Because he's a better player than Desharnais overall. Or do you think that offense is only generated by playing horizontal hockey and finding your open elite sniper and let him do the rest? See that's where I'm getting at. It's the main reason why Eller out-performed Desharnais by such a wide margin during the playoffs.

Last edited:

MsChanandlerBong

The Chan-Chan Man
Jul 29, 2011
Ottawa
Despite the drought which was something around 30 games without a goal, Eller finished the season just under the points standards for third liners in the league.

Is that a normal thing now? Absolutely not. Is it the first time it happens? Not either. Has Eller's role with the team expanded offensively when it happens, nop. Is Desharnais put in a position to succeed? Yes. Is he succeeding? No.

So, despite of his assumed tunnel vision, why does he manage to still out perform the guy who's only purpose is to produce in more favorable offensive situations? Because he's a better player than Desharnais overall. Or do you think that offense is only generated by playing horizontal hockey and finding your open elite sniper and let him do the rest? See that's where I'm getting at. It's the main reason why Eller out-performed Desharnais by such a wide margin the%2

Yeah i was never attempting to convince you or anyone that Eller is worse than DD. Desharnais is **** and I prefer Eller 100x over. I was just saying that Eller is in a great position to succeed, and I believe he fits better with Sekac and in a 3rd line role, and allow Pleks to take the 1st line center role with Patches because he's had a great season thus far.

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
Yeah i was never attempting to convince you or anyone that Eller is worse than DD. Desharnais is **** and I prefer Eller 100x over. I was just saying that Eller is in a great position to succeed, and I believe he fits better with Sekac and in a 3rd line role, and allow Pleks to take the 1st line center role with Patches because he's had a great season thus far.

Well then I completely agree with that. My point stood for Pleky too. But the thing that I find with Eller is that the number of times he's been put in a position to succeed, he generally succeeded. But he has rarely been put in a position to prove himself in his projected potential when he was drafted after that. It's not like he was put in it and faltered and settled down on the third line.

Maybe it has to do with Bergevin setting a standard on the type of talent you'd find on a third line, but there's not much of a drop off of skill between our top 3 centres.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Heal from his injury in a rapid manner.

I missed the injury, I was busy baking. I hope it's not a concussion nor a broken knee, etc.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
**** that's awful news. Shoulders are the worst.

I hope he's back by the playoffs.

Kachino

@kachino82
Feb 16, 2008
Montreal
Hope his injury is not a major one. If it's his shoulder, then yeah, he did have a shoulder injury back in 2011 IIRC.

Kachino

@kachino82
Feb 16, 2008
Montreal
Still no news about his injury from the Montreal Canadiens?

According to Marc-André Godin (beat writer La Presse), he thinks Lars Eller injured his left shoulder falling down on the board in the 1st period.

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
Eller just needs to stay healthy even though every team targets him for the heavy hitting, trying to slow down his robust nature, checking his opponents to distraction continually. That's why they target him he's doing his job too well!!...:handclap::handclap::handclap: I can't wait for JDLR, McCarron, Crisp et al join him with likewise game, they can't target all of them.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
He needs a blood transfusion with some of Pacioretty's blood and he'll be as good as new by Monday.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad