What does Lars Eller have to do?

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Since the playoff:

Eller got 23pts in 42 games without PP time.
Desharnais got 20pts in 42 games with tons of PP time

Pacioretty got 14 goals at 5 on 5.
Eller got 12 goals at 5 on 5
Desharnais got 0 goals at 5 on 5

If Galchenyuk isn't ready for center (which i highly doubt, in fact i think he's ready)
If Galchenyuk at center would leave a giant hole on the LW (Which i also doubt since Sekac is really good)

Sekac is already on the PP...not even 5 goals in the NHL....but i agree, he got the skills to be there. But What in the hell Eller got to do to get his chance?

He's scoring practically at the same rate than Pacioretty at 5 on 5 since last year's playoff.....and that's with a piano like Bourque by his side.

mus1cx

Oct 6, 2014
Toronto
Well Plekanec won't be here forever. If Eller continues to progress in this trend, I can see Galchenyuk and Eller as our #1 and #2 Cs. That is, if Desharnais doesn't take Eller's spot as 2C :sarcasm:

HabsFan76

Nov 3, 2011
Canada
Eller has looked comfortable on the 3rd line so far. Let him keep dominating on the 3rd line and increase his confidence in his offensive abilities. I'd like to see Eller get some PP time though.

The debate should be between DD and Galchenyuk if anything since the number 1 center spot is Galchenyuk's eventual spot on the team. I do think that if Eller remains consistent in his offensive production, he should be able to replace Plekanec as the number 2 center in 2-3 years or remain a solid 3rd line center which isn't bad at all.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Well Plekanec won't be here forever. If Eller continues to progress in this trend, I can see Galchenyuk and Eller as our #1 and #2 Cs. That is, if Desharnais doesn't take Eller's spot as 2C :sarcasm:

I agree, eventually, it might be a plan....but right now, i don't see why we can't go with Plek as #1 and Eller as #2. (IF placing Galchy at center is really a problem)

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
They should try Galchenyuk-Eller-Sekac for a game and give Plekanec Pacioretty. Oh, it will never happen but I think it could be really dynamite and Eller has earned it. He's taken a lot of crap over the years and has been a true professional and worked hard to improve his trade.

Throw the man a bone for christ sake before he says "screw it" and shuts it down for this coach.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
10 points in 25 games without PP or 4on4 time, along with a 59% faceoff percentage.

He's looking better and better.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Eller has looked comfortable on the 3rd line so far. Let him keep dominating on the 3rd line and increase his confidence in his offensive abilities. I'd like to see Eller get some PP time though.

The debate should be between DD and Galchenyuk if anything since the number 1 center spot is Galchenyuk's eventual spot on the team. I do think that if Eller remains consistent in his offensive production, he should be able to replace Plekanec as the number 2 center in 2-3 years or remain a solid 3rd line center which isn't bad at all.

Eller's production is good enough to take DD's place right now.
And powerplay time is practically the only thing that separate Eller from being a top 6 forward.

Cause Eller don't absolutely need Max to produce....

I know down the road it's Galchy's spot...but i'm talking about now.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
Pacioretty-Plekanec-Gallagher
Galchenyuk-Eller-Sekac
Prust-Desharnais-Parenteau
Tangradi-Malhotra-Weise

Markov-Subban
Emelin-Gonchar
Tinordi-Pateryn

Price
Tokarski

benStillerDoIt.jpg

HabsFan76

Nov 3, 2011
Canada
I understand some of the frustration amongst some fans wanting Eller to have a more prominent offensive role on the Habs but the reason that Eller is on the 3rd line with barely any PP time is because Eller is a versatile player and is much more suitable for that role then DD or Galchenyuk.

Therrien is simply trying to put players in roles which he feels would maximize the output of every player on this team. The effectiveness of Therrien's personnel choices have not paid off as Desharnais has struggled but I'd like to believe that Therrien thinks that Desharnais would do even worse on the 3rd line with limited PP time so he might as well give him prime offensive minutes so that he may produce at least at a 0.5 PPG pace.

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
I understand some of the frustration amongst some fans wanting Eller to have a more prominent offensive role on the Habs but the reason that Eller is on the 3rd line with barely any PP time is because Eller is a versatile player and is much more suitable for that role then DD or Galchenyuk.

Therrien is simply trying to put players in roles which he feels would maximize the output of every player on this team. The effectiveness of Therrien's personnel choices have not paid off as Desharnais has struggled but I'd like to believe that Therrien thinks that Desharnais would do even worse on the 3rd line with limited PP time so he might as well give him prime offensive minutes so that he may produce at least at a 0.5 PPG pace.

...so because Desharnais would suck even worse anywhere else in the lineup, he should be our de facto #1 centre, that's the logic??...OK...just making sure that was why...

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
I brought up earlier during the year when Eller was struggling with Bourque and Moen on his side that perhaps his "lack" of vision was due to the fact that he didn't trust his linemates.

The man is our best possession centre and he played with the worse players in the team. Now pair him with guys who constantly support him and have some actual skill, and you get 35-40 pts player with no PP time.

HabsFan76

Nov 3, 2011
Canada
...so because Desharnais would suck even worse anywhere else in the lineup, he should be our de facto #1 centre, that's the logic??...OK...just making sure that was why...

Well Desharnais isn't going anywhere for the time being so what good will it do to place him in a role where he would be even worse in? I'd like to see Desharnais off the PP all together and a reduction in his ice time, so don't think I'm a DD defender. I'm just trying to decipher Therrien's reasoning for DD's icetime and usage.

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
Well Desharnais isn't going anywhere for the time being so what good will it do to place him in a role where he would be even worse in? I'd like to see Desharnais off the PP all together and a reduction in his ice time, so don't think I'm a DD defender. I'm just trying to decipher Therrien's reasoning for DD's icetime and usage.

...it would make our Top Line better and would move Chucky to centre, where he should be...there's two good reasons...Sekac to 2nd line LW...there's three good reasons...

HabsFan76

Nov 3, 2011
Canada
...it would make our Top Line better and would move Chucky to centre, where he should be...there's two good reasons...Sekac to 2nd line LW...there's three good reasons...

Of course it would. I'd like to see changes happen as well but we are talking about MT though, he's stubborn when it comes to DD and his usage. I've given up on the fact that DD will be our go to offensive center for this year. Keep in mind that Therrien wants DD to produce as well and in his current role, that's where he provides the most offense. It sucks for the other players such as Sekac/Galchenyuk/Eller as have already contributed much more offensively they can produce even more if they get a share of DD's time but it ain't happening with MT as coach.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010

I don't see the point in maximizing DD's talents.....cause even while doing that, he isn'T good.

Do we maximize Galchenyuk, Eller, Plekanec?
Nope, we must maximize Desharnais first....

Rosso Scuderia

Jun 30, 2012
Still think Pacioretty-Eller-Sekac would make a better 5 on 5 line than Pacioretty-DD-PAP.

If they don't want Galchenyuk to play center yet.. here's the line up I'd like to see:

Pacioretty-Eller-Sekac
Galchenyuk-Plekanec-Gallagher
Weise-DD-PAP

HabsFan76

Nov 3, 2011
Canada
I don't see the point in maximizing DD's talents.....cause even while doing that, he isn'T good.

Do we maximize Galchenyuk, Eller, Plekanec?
Nope, we must maximize Desharnais first....

I agree. Unfortunately, I don't see MT giving the other centers + Galchenyuk an increase in offensive opportunities to help maximize their own production even if it will better for the team.

Haburger

Jan 17, 2011
Since the playoff:

Eller got 23pts in 42 games without PP time.
Desharnais got 20pts in 42 games with tons of PP time

Pacioretty got 14 goals at 5 on 5.
Eller got 12 goals at 5 on 5
Desharnais got 0 goals at 5 on 5

If Galchenyuk isn't ready for center (which i highly doubt, in fact i think he's ready)
If Galchenyuk at center would leave a giant hole on the LW (Which i also doubt since Sekac is really good)

Sekac is already on the PP...not even 5 goals in the NHL....but i agree, he got the skills to be there. But What in the hell Eller got to do to get his chance?

He's scoring practically at the same rate than Pacioretty at 5 on 5 since last year's playoff.....and that's with a piano like Bourque by his side.
Did lars play tonight?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad