Kings Article: What Does LA Need at the Trade Deadline?

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
They prefer "Mobile deceased".

Any reason the "around the league" thread is locked? Did it go downhill and I missed it?

Why are we talking about getting Iggy after learning the D may not hold when playing playoff caliber teams?

DL shouldn't be shopping for either Iggy or Doan, the kings don't need another gritty , grizzled veteran rental. Their locker room is fine. How many points do you think they'd put up in Sutter's strangulation system? They're not a green young team expected to go deep with no playoff experience.
If he's going to make a trade, you'd think he'd learn by the mistakes over the last 2 years (including Zykov) no more rentals...stay out of the day old bin at the NHL supermarket.

AlphaBravo

Jan 31, 2015
Yerevan
While I don't advocate acquiring Iginla, much of what's being said about him was also said about Lecavalier. I bet a motivated Iginla could still contribute. He's only one year removed from a 22g season.

That may be true, but I still don't think its worth giving any draft picks for rentals. Iginla, even if he returns to his 22 goal season form, is not going to make us a cup contender. Why waste assets on a transition season?

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
Interesting note from Elliotte Friedman on Calgary's Sportnet 960 radio show this morning, he was talking about teams and trades and the Kings came up. He cited that although John Hoven (the Mayor) is stating that LaDue is 'untouchable' that is not what he's heard. That LaDue might be called up to be showcased as part of a trade.
WHich if DL is really interested in Landeskog or Duchene, that would make sense.

http://www.fanragsports.com/nhl/friedman-eyes-suitors-ducks-defensive-trade-chips/

“But it’s interesting. There’s a reporter out there named John Hoven who’s a really good reporter. He says that LaDue is untouchable. I don’t disbelieve him because I think he does a really good job covering that team. But I’m hearing that this might be a showcase. So I don’t know which one is the right answer. Ultimately the true situation will be revealed. But if it is a showcase, that’s a name they could be using to try to get something for their club.”

Seventyx7

Carter Enthusiast
Mar 3, 2004
Norcal
DL shouldn't be shopping for either Iggy or Doan, the kings don't need another gritty , grizzled veteran rental. Their locker room is fine. How many points do you think they'd put up in Sutter's strangulation system? They're not a green young team expected to go deep with no playoff experience.
If he's going to make a trade, you'd think he'd learn by the mistakes over the last 2 years (including Zykov) no more rentals...stay out of the day old bin at the NHL supermarket.

If you're anti-rental, that's fine. But other than rentals, I don't see any situation where we could add anything substantial without giving up Muzzin or Martinez which would leave our D extremely thin. Not to mention adding a Landeskog (for example) would tie up way too much of our cap in wingers if you believe Vegas isn't taking Brown or Gaborik.

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
ok i'm getting tired of seeing this Dean made a mistake last couple of deadlines Are any of the player or picks we trade out there that would make any real difference to our team right now . Please let me know right now if anyone would even be on the team cause i don't see it If we didn't make thoses trades our roster isn't any difference if anything we would have more players in the ahl not to bring up.

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
If you're anti-rental, that's fine. But other than rentals, I don't see any situation where we could add anything substantial without giving up Muzzin or Martinez which would leave our D extremely thin. Not to mention adding a Landeskog (for example) would tie up way too much of our cap in wingers if you believe Vegas isn't taking Brown or Gaborik.

I don't either, I like Muzzin and AMart but DL right now is seeing a team that can't score. (although healthy or playng thru players being out, over the last 5 years, they average 2.5 GPG) And that is why the rumors have been about obtaining a top winger, which he can't get without sacrificing Muzzin or AMart.
I hope he stays the course, but it doesn't sound like he's doing that. Maybe to his way of thinking, it's not a rental, so it won't sting as much?
I would rather him wait, relieve Sutter and go in a new direction. But that's not likely to happen

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
Interesting note from Elliotte Friedman on Calgary's Sportnet 960 radio show this morning, he was talking about teams and trades and the Kings came up. He cited that although John Hoven (the Mayor) is stating that LaDue is 'untouchable' that is not what he's heard. That LaDue might be called up to be showcased as part of a trade.
WHich if DL is really interested in Landeskog or Duchene, that would make sense.

http://www.fanragsports.com/nhl/friedman-eyes-suitors-ducks-defensive-trade-chips/

What a weird showcase. He's done exceptional as a scratch so far, I suppose. :)

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
ok i'm getting tired of seeing this Dean made a mistake last couple of deadlines Are any of the player or picks we trade out there that would make any real difference to our team right now . Please let me know right now if anyone would even be on the team cause i don't see it If we didn't make thoses trades our roster isn't any difference if anything we would have more players in the ahl not to bring up.

He made moves that have weakened the farm system, which weakens a team, any NHL including the Kings. Swinging for the fences gets you more strikeouts that homeruns. Trading #1's and top prospects is acceptable if you get a non rental in return. He didn't do that and did it back to back. And the Kings didn't have a whole lot of extra high end prospects in their pipeline to being with, so it really stung.
Those #1's and prospects would be developing into players that would be beneficial to the team.
How would Kyle COnner not be a good fit at center??? Kopi is 29 and there is no center in the pipeline to take his place. Miller is shaping into a good young defenseman. ZYkov will be on the Canes in the near future.
The Kings weren't a contender in 2015, despite that mini streak they went on and he couldn't see that, still trying to recapture something that was'nt there anymore. Did the same thing last year with Lucic , a heart over head decision, the player he always 'coveted'. But one he knew he couldn't sign. Lucic wasn't going to get them to the SC finals...it takes more than that.
THe Kings developed into a winning franchaise because DL created a good farm system. Growing your own is the best way to build a contender, now he's doing the opposite.

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
He made moves that have weakened the farm system, which weakens a team, any NHL including the Kings. Swinging for the fences gets you more strikeouts that homeruns. Trading #1's and top prospects is acceptable if you get a non rental in return. He didn't do that and did it back to back. And the Kings didn't have a whole lot of extra high end prospects in their pipeline to being with, so it really stung.
Those #1's and prospects would be developing into players that would be beneficial to the team.
How would Kyle COnner not be a good fit at center??? Kopi is 29 and there is no center in the pipeline to take his place. Miller is shaping into a good young defenseman. ZYkov will be on the Canes in the near future.
The Kings weren't a contender in 2015, despite that mini streak they went on and he couldn't see that, still trying to recapture something that was'nt there anymore. Did the same thing last year with Lucic , a heart over head decision, the player he always 'coveted'. But one he knew he couldn't sign. Lucic wasn't going to get them to the SC finals...it takes more than that.
THe Kings developed into a winning franchaise because DL created a good farm system. Growing your own is the best way to build a contender, now he's doing the opposite.

I am saying that out of what he traded away nothing would be helping right now. Doom and gloom over the future fine but nothing hes done really would help right now. Kyle Conner would be playing his first year in the ahl right now and would be ignored as a call up as not ready yet like all the other prospects. Dean took shots to fit what he could to give us a shot, I would have gone for a another scorer over sekera but who know what would have happened his Sekera didnèt get hurt I say we would have made playoffs and from there who knows. The lucic move got us into the playoffs we would have lost jones most likely to a offer sheet Miller would have been lost to waivers All we lost was the first

AlphaBravo

Jan 31, 2015
Yerevan
That report makes no sense. I think Hoven may be right that LaDue is untouchable. How could we acquire a Landeskog or Duchene by trading LaDue++? It makes no sense cap wise because we will be adding approx. $5MM in cap hit, without much cap space going back. Although we have the cap space this year to do it, we wont next year with Toffoli and Pearson getting raises.

Also, it doesn't make sense expansion draft wise. If we don't trade Muzzin or Martinez in a deal with Colorado, but instead deal LaDue, we wont be able to protect the forward we get back. But if we trade Muzzin or Martinez, we can protect Doughty, Forbort, Muzzin or Martinez, and 7 skaters since LaDue and Gravel are exempt.

AlphaBravo

Jan 31, 2015
Yerevan

I don't think you can fault DL for the Sekera trade. The Kings had just won the cup in 2014 and were on a hot streak again when he made that trade. Sekera was needed to replace Voynov. I think it was fair for DL to make a bold move to get that third cup.

The Lucic trade is open for debate. Arguably, DL should have realized that the 2015 was not cup contender status and taken a more conservative approach. But on the other hand, DL knew that with short cup windows in today's NHL, he had to make a risky move to acquire a game changing player, which Lucic was.

LAKings88

First round fodder
Dec 4, 2006
here or there
Just to be clear, I'm not advocating for an Iginla trade.

Just something I can see Lombardi going after if it's a bargain price.

I'd actually be shocked if LA traded for a Duchene or Landeskog.

I don't think LaDue is being shopped. I think he is a right handed dman with talent who will be important to LA post expansion draft.

Little Psycho

I solemnly swear I'm up to no good
Feb 4, 2007
Non-Yah

Can't remember the last time Hoven had been right. Honestly, he's the new Eklund, which it's an insult to Eklund cos he has broken some trades over the years. :laugh:

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Just to be clear, I'm not advocating for an Iginla trade.

Just something I can see Lombardi going after if it's a bargain price.

I'd actually be shocked if LA traded for a Duchene or Landeskog.

I don't think LaDue is being shopped. I think he is a right handed dman with talent who will be important to LA post expansion draft.

I totally agree with that. Grizzled power forward vet, hungry, reclamation project/cheap, history with Sutter.

Johnny Utah

Aug 2, 2005
Santa Monica, CA
If Lombardi is smart, and I know he is (minus this past summer and the Cloutier extension), he will hold onto picks 1 thru 4 at least this summer and only deal late round picks, futures, NHL vets buried in the AHL, or current roster players for anything at the deadline.

Stimpythecat

Jul 1, 2015
I say no on the rentals. Iginla and Doan are done. They aren't the solutions to get us deep into the playoffs.

Which means I think there are no major moves this season. I can deal with that considering the cap issues, the expansion draft, and the need to restock the pantry.

Looking at next year, the kings could have a very good defense. Doughty, Muzzin, Martinez, LaDue, Forbort, Gravel. It would be very young too as Martinez would be the oldest at 30. It would also be relatively cheap and that is what the Kings need.

Choralone

Oct 16, 2010
Burbank, CA
I don't think you can fault DL for the Sekera trade. The Kings had just won the cup in 2014 and were on a hot streak again when he made that trade. Sekera was needed to replace Voynov. I think it was fair for DL to make a bold move to get that third cup.

The Lucic trade is open for debate. Arguably, DL should have realized that the 2015 was not cup contender status and taken a more conservative approach. But on the other hand, DL knew that with short cup windows in today's NHL, he had to make a risky move to acquire a game changing player, which Lucic was.

The Sekera trade was absolutely the right trade to make - it's just too bad that Sekera wouldn't sign with us. And I think Lucic was an exception - I don't think Dean was out there looking for a winger, and if Lucic wasn't on the market, he wouldn't have done the kind of deal he did. It's just that Lucic WAS available and I think Dean couldn't pass up getting the unique player that he is, regardless of the fact that we needed D help more.

goosh

Nov 25, 2010
Friedman is certainly more credible than Mayor, but I have a tough time envisioning DL recalling a player to "showcase" him.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Friedman is certainly more credible than Mayor, but I have a tough time envisioning DL recalling a player to "showcase" him.

I remember a prominent analyst (McKenzie?) pointing out that true showcases rarely happen because a team isn't going to self-sabotage a potential two points to show off someone that shouldn't necessarily be there, so I agree.

I do think LaDue "fits" a normal callup though so this scenario doesn't necessarily tie into what that analyst was saying, but I tend to agree.

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
I'd move my pending free agents, ahem King, maybe McNabb if there's a deal that makes sense. Move out some prospects that might not have a future here for similarly stuck prospects in other organizations, ahem Mersch and Leslie, and get as many picks as I can. I wouldn't go for any rentals, and no big trades unless it's for a future core piece like Landeskog.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
I'd move my pending free agents, ahem King, maybe McNabb if there's a deal that makes sense. Move out some prospects that might not have a future here for similarly stuck prospects in other organizations, ahem Mersch and Leslie, and get as many picks as I can. I wouldn't go for any rentals, and no big trades unless it's for a future core piece like Landeskog.

Need to keep McNabb for expansion draft.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
Yea McNabb is going to be a target. Although deep inside I know Lewis is more likely which I do not want.

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
That report makes no sense. I think Hoven may be right that LaDue is untouchable. How could we acquire a Landeskog or Duchene by trading LaDue++? It makes no sense cap wise because we will be adding approx. $5MM in cap hit, without much cap space going back. Although we have the cap space this year to do it, we wont next year with Toffoli and Pearson getting raises.

Also, it doesn't make sense expansion draft wise. If we don't trade Muzzin or Martinez in a deal with Colorado, but instead deal LaDue, we wont be able to protect the forward we get back. But if we trade Muzzin or Martinez, we can protect Doughty, Forbort, Muzzin or Martinez, and 7 skaters since LaDue and Gravel are exempt.

There would be money going back, it wasn't LaDue or AMart/Muzzin it was LaDue (top prospect) with AMart or Muzzin. Avs aren't giving up either Duchene or Landeskog for an unproven prospect only.
They want a high draft pick, a top young prospect and a top 4 young d. And they can wait if they want, to the draft.
And I wouldn't trade LaDue if he holds that much promise. There are other non rental young top 6ish wingers DL could get without losing LaDue if he still wants a winger bad enough.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad