Kings Article: What Does LA Need at the Trade Deadline?

KingPuckChoo

Go kinGs Go !
Jun 24, 2007
funny how i see things differently from people

out of the three past years, this year to me is our strongest

if we were willing to compete in 2015 and 2016

we shouldn't stay idle in 2017

our defense much more stable now

and a Quick/Budaj tandem would be solid

HookKing

Dec 12, 2008
funny how i see things differently from people

out of the three past years, this year to me is our strongest

if we were willing to compete in 2015 and 2016

we shouldn't stay idle in 2017

our defense much more stable now

and a Quick/Budaj tandem would be solid

I agree with you. The team is starting to peak at the right time and adding the right piece makes them a legit contender.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
I don't know if I'd consider this team the strongest of the past couple seasons. Defensively they're up there, offensively, I don't agree.

I guess Voynov's blueline production would fall under it, but you also have to factor in the losses of guys like Williams, Lucic and Lecavalier.

Sheng Peng

I don't know if I'd consider this team the strongest of the past couple seasons. Defensively they're up there, offensively, I don't agree.

It's a good question, ranking the teams from 2014-15 on. Are we talking at their best -- i.e. healthy Sekera/Pearson in 14-15 and Martinez in 15-16? -- or how they ended up?

If we're talking at their very best, I'd probably go with 14-15 over 15-16 by a shade. This year's team below them, no Williams/Lucic equivalent. But this year's team isn't far either.

Whiskeypete

Jul 14, 2010
Chicago
stand as is and dont trade to get anyone. if possible move some of the bottom six forwards to pick up some picks, which are badly needed to restock the system.

would i like to see Landeskog next to 11, hell yes but the price tag will be staggering

this team is stuck in no man's land right now due to the Sekera and Lucic trades. Dean went for it the past two seasons and it fell apart. now the money is still tight, they lack top tier talent and have traded away two straight #1's.

Dean has a a few years left of 11, 77, 32, 8 as the core. he needs to build this team for runs in the next 2-5 years, but that can't happen with limited salary and picks. help for this team now can only come from internally. relief won't occur unless Vegas picks up Brown or Gabby to provide cap space.

deaderhead28

Jul 3, 2010
Dean needs to either go big or go home.A small trade isn't going to fix the Kings.Dean would probably trade Muzzin or Martinez for a winger due to the up coming expansion draft.Ladue will probably be the replacement for the out going defenseman.

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
stand as is and dont trade to get anyone. if possible move some of the bottom six forwards to pick up some picks, which are badly needed to restock the system.

would i like to see Landeskog next to 11, hell yes but the price tag will be staggering

this team is stuck in no man's land right now due to the Sekera and Lucic trades. Dean went for it the past two seasons and it fell apart. now the money is still tight, they lack top tier talent and have traded away two straight #1's.

Dean has a a few years left of 11, 77, 32, 8 as the core. he needs to build this team for runs in the next 2-5 years, but that can't happen with limited salary and picks. help for this team now can only come from internally. relief won't occur unless Vegas picks up Brown or Gabby to provide cap space.

Agree with most of this, DL has to consider what his situation is with the contracts due, the flat CAP this year and forecasting forward with DD's looming in a couple more. They need to restock the farm system, and focus on making a better future. Nobody is taking Brown on Gabby, esp Gabby. Vegas? Can't see them taking Brown unless DL eats some of the 5.8, which he can't afford to do.
He has cleared 6.8 in CAP space, so if he's gonna make a move it better be for a young forward , top 6 , who has good paper long term. If not, stay the course, play the hand you've been dealt. Realize the future will be stronger if you don't repeat the same mistakes as the last 2 years, recognize what you have, what you need to compete with the speed and skill evolving around the NHL
And part of that is a new coach and system. Over the last 5 years, regardless of who was here, who got moved, who was brought iup, the Kings GF remains in the 2.5 range. That's just not good enough on most nights in this league. And that is tied to Sutter.

goosh

Nov 25, 2010
No pick-for-rental trades, please.

I would be interested in a dman-for-winger trade, though. Not sure what options are out there...

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
What the Kings do should entirely depend on what the org. thinks about their current pipeline. It's very rare to find gems anymore outside of the top rounds, and while the Kings are really good in that aspect the cap dictates a pragmatic approach.

They need to ask themselves:

1. Are their players developing in a sense that they will be capable of contributing enough to the current core in a few years when they are on their downside to make this team a threat?

If so, just stay the course, keep developing them, and get them some cups of coffee this year and next. If not....

2. Do they truly believe that guys like Kempe, Amadio, Brodzinski, Ladue, Cernak, etc. have what it takes to form the core of a cup contender (with a few outside additions) in 6-7 years when the current core is out?

If yes, stick with it and avoid rentals. If not, use every available asset to go for it now and try to win. Stockpile first and second rounders when this core has run its course and build another nucleus that will grow together.

The hardest part for Lombardi and co. will be to look at it objectively. I'm sure they get attached to these guys given how much they put into their development, but what they should avoid at all costs is ending up a team who have some nice young pieces on their roster and a middling pipeline, but after that a patchwork roster that ends up in the black hole. We've been there and it sucks.

onlyalad

The bounce
Jan 13, 2008
I have a feeling LA will buy cheap on Iginla some how.

Protect 4-4

Likely look at losing Dowd or McNabb to expansion.

My wife suggested Ig-in-LA as someone the Kings should look into.
I think they are fine. Just need some confidence and some luck.
TT, Pearson, Carter and Kopitar get scoring near average, Quick getting in form before the playoffs and the defense not playing like yesterday
That and a couple of bounces and the Kings are doing fine.
The Ducks have one more win (I think) and a bunch of OT losses.
No one below the Kings is doing well.
If they make a trade I accept that but if they don't , I think they will be ok

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
i think la only needs 2 things the first one is the one up to fate Get healthy we need this team just to stay healthy and things will fall into place. Quick back makes budja our backup So our back up is better by default there.

The biggest thing the kings need is a winger to play with Kopitar this will move brown and others down to the 3rd line like we all know they should be playing. This winger would also help our pp get better ( like it could get worse ) This would lead us to scoring more goal and take the pressure off our less experienced defense man.

AlphaBravo

Jan 31, 2015
Yerevan
Trading a pick for Iginla is a bad move. Iginla is not his former self and will provide very little help to the Kings. I would rather sit pat this trade deadline, unless there is a way for us to unload Clifford ($1.6MM cap hit), Brown ($5.875MM) or Gaborik $4.875MM), which is unlikely to happen.

Next year, however, will be very interesting. If LaDue is able to show by next year's trade deadline that he can be relied upon as a regular on the second pairing, we can then move Muzzin or Martinez for a top 6 winger.

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
While I don't advocate acquiring Iginla, much of what's being said about him was also said about Lecavalier. I bet a motivated Iginla could still contribute. He's only one year removed from a 22g season.

Totally agree I think it comes down to how high of a pick is to high rather then should we gamble on him i say a 4th or higher we make the deal

Seventyx7

Carter Enthusiast
Mar 3, 2004
Norcal
Would you rather have Iginla or Doan? Both have been quite bad this year; personally I'd prefer Doan despite the battles through the years. Neither should return more than a 3rd/4th, at least not from the Kings.

Trolfoli

May 30, 2013
Iginla is a corpse.

They prefer "Mobile deceased".

Any reason the "around the league" thread is locked? Did it go downhill and I missed it?

Why are we talking about getting Iggy after learning the D may not hold when playing playoff caliber teams?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad