What does it takes to win the Cup?

zombie kopitar

custom title
Jul 3, 2009
They aren't, unless they get a lot of luck, which they never do. Blow it up. Every year in the foreseeable future we're going to run into a superior team in either the Kings or the Hawks (or both). Since we have no chance of beating them due to their superior mental strength, we should just give up now.

the answer to this question is actually; having the refs handing you goals every so often during your postseason run.

HOOCH2173

That HOOCH is Crazy!
Nov 24, 2009
Lake Forest
What does this team need to win?! It's obvious they need this guy!

83791544.jpg

and not this guy:

Playoffs_017.jpg

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
They aren't, unless they get a lot of luck, which they never do. Blow it up. Every year in the foreseeable future we're going to run into a superior team in either the Kings or the Hawks (or both). Since we have no chance of beating them due to their superior mental strength, we should just give up now.

If they never get any "luck", is "luck" really luck?

Audio Outlaw

Jaded Sharks Fan
Aug 1, 2011
Bay Area, CA
The truth is that I have been vocal about this fact for 5 seasons now and people just don't want to hear it around here. I am HUGE on hockey intangibles, they mean absolutely everything in Hockey. Sometimes you just want to have to want it more than the man next to you. The amount of fight in this team is minimal. I say this team has all the skill, but no heart.

In addition. I just feel like we have never had the goaltending we need. It always seems like we get beat by the hotter goalie. The Sharks rely too much on the PP to win. That just goes to show you how soft they play 5 v 5.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
The truth is that I have been vocal about this fact for 5 seasons now and people just don't want to hear it around here. I am HUGE on hockey intangibles, they mean absolutely everything in Hockey. Sometimes you just want to have to want it more than the man next to you. The amount of fight in this team is minimal. I say this team has all the skill, but no heart.

In addition. I just feel like we have never had the goaltending we need. It always seems like we get beat by the hotter goalie. The Sharks rely too much on the PP to win. That just goes to show you how soft they play 5 v 5.

While I feel that intangibles are over-rated, I do agree that we need to have an elite goal tender. Every team has nights where the defense takes it off and gives up softies or forwards just cannot put it in the net. We need to have a goalie that can win us a game on those nights. I never felt that way with Niemi. Obviously that is easier said than done.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

You've been vocal for five years yet registered for three? Interesting.

This team has never had all the skill. Goaltending only looks as good as your defense and this team has never had the defense to be considered Cup caliber. And a lot of that stems from the fact that they've never had enough puck-movers on both sides.

Pretty much their entire season this year was predicated on their even strength play since their power play was dreadful all year. There is a lot more wrong than any one item, especially something as ridiculous as intangibles.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California

Except they were one of the best 5 on 5 times all year. The power play is one of the reasons they lost. If intangibles were so important Shane Doan and Jarome Iginla and Owen Nolan would have cups but guess what? They don't! More guts! Zomg Grit! Honestly you need skill and luck and the perfect blend of players. The Sharks haven't found the recipe.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Anyone who actually believes 'will over skill' never played sports, or loves cliches too much.

Skill and execution are what it comes down to, and in the la series, the Sharks were outskilled and outexecuted the final 4 games. Anyone who thinks they didn't want it as much as the Kings just don't get it. No one on their professional level wants to lose or are content with it. Just because they don't slam their sticks, curse and cry doesn't mean it doesn't bother them.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
A top goaltender would help. How many teams have made the finals without a top-notch goalie?

For years, the Sharks had Nabakov, who kind of masqueraded as a top goalie. I don't know if the jury is out on Niemi yet. You can obviously win a cup with him, but I don't think the Sharks will ever be that good defensively.

Up front, the lack of adaptability in the Sharks is killing them. If a team figures out a way to beat the Sharks, the Sharks typically do not adjust back.

WantonAbandon

Oct 16, 2011
A top goaltender would help. How many teams have made the finals without a top-notch goalie?

For years, the Sharks had Nabakov, who kind of masqueraded as a top goalie. I don't know if the jury is out on Niemi yet. You can obviously win a cup with him, but I don't think the Sharks will ever be that good defensively.

Up front, the lack of adaptability in the Sharks is killing them. If a team figures out a way to beat the Sharks, the Sharks typically do not adjust back.
So why are opposed to the Sharks seeing what they have with Stalock?

PacificOceanPotion

Jun 19, 2009
Stalock needs seasoning.. Once he gets some consecutive starts IMO, he'll evolve into a solid #1 goaltender.. I felt the same way about Greiss

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA

You haven't even been registered for 5 years and you have never said anything like this until now. You said as recently as last year that you wanted to keep Marleau and Thornton.

Le Rosbeef

Jul 27, 2007
Anyone who actually believes 'will over skill' never played sports, or loves cliches too much.

Skill and execution are what it comes down to, and in the la series, the Sharks were outskilled and outexecuted the final 4 games. Anyone who thinks they didn't want it as much as the Kings just don't get it. No one on their professional level wants to lose or are content with it. Just because they don't slam their sticks, curse and cry doesn't mean it doesn't bother them.

I'm afraid the truth lies closer to needing both.

You need skill and execution to get the job done, yes. You need also need the 'will' with players rolling up their sleeves and getting the dirty jobs done when the time calls for it.

Execution is affected by luck too, but generally speaking, the Sharks have plenty of the former. Sadly, I am not sure if we have enough of the latter to last 16 games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad