What does it takes to win the Cup?

jurisdoctor

Sep 4, 2011
Whether or not the LA Kings will hoist the Cup these next few weeks remain to be seen, however, after watching their historic comeback versus the Sharks, and dispatching with the Ducks and Hawks, all in 7 game series, I've sadly reached the conclusion that the Sharks will NEVER win a Cup without a major change in team culture.

There was an old man I met at a game that once told me, "Hockey is the only major sport that grit, effort, and sheer determination can overcome skill.". I didn't know that I believed him then, and still have some doubt about that theory, but after seeing how some of our past seasons went and the eventual Cup winners, I can only come to the conclusion that the Sharks don't have a Cup and will never have one until they make a real concerted effort to take on the attitude that of ripping an opponent's heart out and showing it to them, meaning playing with the determination like their very lives depended on it. The Kings this year have shown their will during their playoff run, and my question is - does anyone realistically expect the Sharks to show the heart, grit, and determination necessary to come back from an 0-3 deficit had the coin been flipped? Sadly no, at least from what I see.

Has this team had the skill and talent to win the Cup? No doubt. But that alone does not make Stanley Cup Champions. Sounds stupid, but the Sharks need a killer instinct, like finishing a team when they're up 3-0, period. It absolutely kills me to see the team we had on the ropes about to lift another Cup.

WantonAbandon

Oct 16, 2011
Seems like what compares the least between the Sharks and the Kings or the Hawks is the blue line. Seriously, try to compare them. Then try and compare the three blue lines without Vlasic...

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Whether or not the LA Kings will hoist the Cup these next few weeks remain to be seen, however, after watching their historic comeback versus the Sharks, and dispatching with the Ducks and Hawks, all in 7 game series, I've sadly reached the conclusion that the Sharks will NEVER win a Cup without a major change in team culture.

There was an old man I met at a game that once told me, "Hockey is the only major sport that grit, effort, and sheer determination can overcome skill.". I didn't know that I believed him then, and still have some doubt about that theory, but after seeing how some of our past seasons went and the eventual Cup winners, I can only come to the conclusion that the Sharks don't have a Cup and will never have one until they make a real concerted effort to take on the attitude that of ripping an opponent's heart out and showing it to them, meaning playing with the determination like their very lives depended on it. The Kings this year have shown their will during their playoff run, and my question is - does anyone realistically expect the Sharks to show the heart, grit, and determination necessary to come back from an 0-3 deficit had the coin been flipped? Sadly no, at least from what I see.

Has this team had the skill and talent to win the Cup? No doubt. But that alone does not make Stanley Cup Champions. Sounds stupid, but the Sharks need a killer instinct, like finishing a team when they're up 3-0, period. It absolutely kills me to see the team we had on the ropes about to lift another Cup.

To the question in which you answered no doubt, the answer is actually no. They have never had the skill and talent to win the Cup. There are other issues to go with it but this team that they had did not have the skill and talent to win the Cup even if they beat the Kings like they should have.

There's no sense in arguing the point of killer instinct. It's simply not quantifiable and just is an endless parade of cliches that don't really get anywhere. The Sharks lost because they strayed from the gameplan, plain and simple. That's not killer instinct and it's not will nor is it skill. It was sheer stupidity and poor leadership. There are lots of teams that don't have what it takes to come back from 3-0. It's why it's only been done a handful of times in this league's history. That's not a fair question to ask of any team. Sharks did fight back during their decade of playoff futility from a 3-0 deficit and were a quadruple OT goal away from going to a game 7 back home against Dallas. They've shown fight before and they've shown killer instinct before. It's not anywhere as simple as that as much as it hurts people to not be able to come to an easy conclusion.

If you want to keep up with the Debbie Downer threads, you're more than welcome. It serves no purpose in reality other than to pile onto the crap everyone of us has had to endure since they lost. I hope the Kings win and it eats at all the players because they deserve to have that hang over them for what they did and they should pay for their stupidity with this kind of embarrassment.

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
voodoothedestroyer-500x500.jpg

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
There's only two things we see consistently with cup winners every year

1. Very good team

2. LUCK

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Grit and determination don't beat skill.

I don't think anyone is saying that. I am sure that Marleau and Thornton have a ton of determination. It is just execution that they lack.

IMO, there is a roster issue and a mentality issue. Even with a healthy Vlasic, the Sharks lack a truly dominant defenseman (since Boyle's decline). The Sharks are not the type of team that can overcome such a lack of talent.

Aside from that, it is the mentality thing...some teams are very good teams, and some teams are championship-caliber teams. Champions die hard, and the Sharks don't die hard. That is why even with a 3-0 lead, they couldn't finish the Kings off. Look at the Kings. They adapt their game so well to fit the opponent. They listen to their coach and have supreme confidence in their plan. Every player trusts his teammates to handle his own responsibility. They never deviate, they never show despair, and they are always confident that they can win. When the talents are pushing even, that kind of edge gives you the win.

One comes off thinking that in any prolonged series, the best teams are going to find ways to shut the Sharks's top players down...specifically Thornton and Marleau, and maybe even Couture and Pavelski, with little push-back. Once that happens, the Sharks tend to unravel. All you need to do is get to that inflection point.

How are the Sharks going to beat teams like Chicago, which have a superior roster and the superior mental edge?

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
How are the Sharks going to beat teams like Chicago, which have a superior roster and the superior mental edge?

They aren't, unless they get a lot of luck, which they never do. Blow it up. Every year in the foreseeable future we're going to run into a superior team in either the Kings or the Hawks (or both). Since we have no chance of beating them due to their superior mental strength, we should just give up now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad