What does it take to get into the HHOF?

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
What would you guys say, because people are judging which players do and don't.

A guy like Trevor Linden would be a guy I'd put in the HOF but not first-ballot.

When Brad Richards has his first year of eligibility I would easily put him in the Hall of Fame.

Most people would say Mike Richards doesn't belong in the HOF, I'd say he would. He has a WJC gold, Memorial Cup, Calder Cup, Olympic Gold and Two Stanley Cups. Also, was a former NHL Captain and lead them to the finals. Some would say no, I'd say yes because not only was he once a very good hockey player, but he is the only player to have all these awards. Being a first ballot HOFer, it's debatable.

Dustin Brown? Captained a team to two Cups, first American to do so, but most would also say no. I'd say he'd have as good of a chance as Kevin Lowe does.

Like players who were very good but careers got cut short due to injury, like Cam Neely.

Personally, I would think it takes more than a Stanley Cup. Like today a guy like Andrew Shaw or Andrew Ladd would not at all get in the Hall of Fame.

In my opinion I'd say:

Players: Have around 1,000+ points and played around 1,000+ games.

Goalies: 300+ Wins and 500+ games.

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
YOur stats are pretty on target. PPG, North American or beloved by North American media = near lock. Captain of a Canadian franchise with playoff success = lock. 1,000 points = in.

Basically, if you get points over a long period and keep your nose clean, you will get in at some point. The truly remarkable careers get in on first opportunity (500+ goals, multiple individual awards, sterling international careers).

The HHOF will never be what I want it to be (extremely select group from each era/generation), but it's fine for its purpose, which is giving nice snapshots of each era's best stars.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
**** Mike Richards.

Brad Richards I could make a case for (two Stanley cups and another appearance). Any Conn Smythe winner has a fighting chance to me.

I think 1000 pts should be an automatic in, considering how hard it is to stay in this league, let alone be able to have your name announced 1000 times. 400 wins should be an automatic amongst goalies.

I think injuries should be considered, as should rank of the teams they played for.

I think Peter Bondra belongs in, he carried a somewhat successful Washington team on his back for over a decade as their clear cut best player. They had Oates for a minute, but really...

Last edited:

GlitchMarner

Typical malevolent, devious & vile Maple Leafs fan
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
If Brad and Mike Richards are HOFers then.. There's going to be a lot of HOFers.

Brad was quite a lot better than Mike and has a much better case.

Three top ten point finishes + five top ten assist finishes. Brad was also one of the five highest scoring centres in the NHL from '02-'06 and again from '09-11. Additionally, he had the eighth most playoff points from 2004 and 2012 and won a Cup and Conn Smythe and had two other trips to the CF during that time (scoring 15 points in each of those CF appearances).

http://www.nhl.com/stats/player?agg...20052006&filter=gamesPlayed,gte,1&sort=points

http://www.nhl.com/stats/player?agg...20102011&filter=gamesPlayed,gte,1&sort=points

http://www.nhl.com/stats/player?agg...20112012&filter=gamesPlayed,gte,1&sort=points

Mike never finished in the top ten for any offensive category and didn't even make it to 500 points. He has no chance, especially considering the off-ice issues.

I'm a fan of Brad Richards, but I'm not sure I'd be in favor of inducting him. He was better than some actual HHOF'ers, but he didn't quite have the longevity to make it in without being a questionable inductee. People complain a LOT when players they think shouldn't be in the HHOF are inducted. I'd rather have him remembered as a guy who did much better than expected in the NHL coming off a stellar Junior career.

I've posted this previously: If the 2004 lockout - which fell right during his peak - didn't happen, he scored at least 80 points that season. 80 more points would have put him beyond 1000, which is a lot these days.

He also could have played in the NHL as a 19 year old, I think. The last lockout certainly didn't help his career, either.

Last edited:

GlitchMarner

Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
I think Peter Bondra belongs in, he carried a somewhat successful Washington team on his back for over a decade as their clear cut best player. They had Oates for a minute, but really...

Really, one can argue guys like Bondra, Propp, Larmer and Middleton should be in the HHOF since Lanny McDonald is in it. Lanny had that big 66 goal season and had a couple of other seasons where he finished among the League-leaders for goals, but for much of his career, he really wasn't too special. He barely made it to 1000 points in a high-scoring era.

I think Roenick should be a member. If Andreychuk is in, there's really no reason Turgeon shouldn't be.

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
Why the hell would Mike or Brad Richards make the Hall? Linden? Brown?....

Have the standards really dropped that much? I mean sure, Housley, Andreychuk aren't very strong inductions....but Dustin brown? Come on.

There is no one way to get in the Hall. You have Howe, Orr, Gretzky, and Lemieux. After them, a large clump of amazing players that are below the likes of the "big 4", but still some of the best ever. Then you have the guys with somewhat short(but impactful) careers like Neely, Bure, and in many cases, Lindros. You have the guys that have the majority of their HOF credibility in their stats, for some it's that mixed with great playoff success....while others most of the time are compilers.

You have the guys that rode all the way to the hall on the coat tails of someone else. You have the guys that aren't the strongest inductions, but hard to deny....then you have the stinkers.

IMO, the more notable HOFers right now are Jagr, Iginla, Thornton, Ovechkin, Crosby, Chara, and Malkin. All have something different that makes them notable candidates, but they also have similarities that make them pretty much "AINEC" and that is stats and individual hardware.

After them, you have a mixed chunk of elite players....but all are most likely HOFers one way or another.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
Really, one can argue guys like Bondra, Propp, Larmer and Middleton should be in the HHOF since Lanny McDonald is in it. Lanny had that big 66 goal season and had a couple of other seasons where he finished among the League-leaders for goals, but for much of his career, he really wasn't too special. He barely made it to 1000 points in a high-scoring era.

I think Roenick should be a member. If Andreychuk is in, there's really no reason Turgeon shouldn't be.

I fully agree.

In the thousands of players that have come and gone, not even 100 made the mark. Every last one of those guys deserve to be honored as greats. Longevity matters if you're good enough to "stick around to pad the stats". Hell, to be able to pad the stats in the first place! Most of us here couldn't make the NHL
no matter how hard we ever practiced or tried to even be able to register ONE point in the National Hockey League let alone one thousand.

NewtJorden

Unitas est Invicta
Aug 9, 2006
Rimouski
Mike Richards? Dustin Brown? Those two players will never go anywhere near the HoF. I know it seems to be easy to get in but still...

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
I don't think there is a set criteria. I do think a lot of things come into account though. Longevity of their career, stats, peak/talent level, accomplishments, how fans/players view them, ect.

A guy like Trevor Linden would be a guy I'd put in the HOF but not first-ballot.

When Brad Richards has his first year of eligibility I would easily put him in the Hall of Fame.

Most people would say Mike Richards doesn't belong in the HOF, I'd say he would. He has a WJC gold, Memorial Cup, Calder Cup, Olympic Gold and Two Stanley Cups. Also, was a former NHL Captain and lead them to the finals. Some would say no, I'd say yes because not only was he once a very good hockey player, but he is the only player to have all these awards. Being a first ballot HOFer, it's debatable.

Dustin Brown? Captained a team to two Cups, first American to do so, but most would also say no. I'd say he'd have as good of a chance as Kevin Lowe does.

Like players who were very good but careers got cut short due to injury, like Cam Neely.

Personally, I would think it takes more than a Stanley Cup. Like today a guy like Andrew Shaw or Andrew Ladd would not at all get in the Hall of Fame.

In my opinion I'd say:

I wouldn't have any of Linden/Richards/Richards/Brown in the hall. I think your criteria is way too loose, and should not be judged by looking at their stats.

Brad Richards was a talented player, but in my opinion, he wasn't good enough. He was near the top of the league for points a few times, but never really stood out to me as someone you can build around. I view him as a really good secondary piece.

Mike Richards has a lot of accomplishments, but again, not good enough. I wouldn't even have him in the hall of very good. His career didn't last long enough, his stats aren't that impressive, and I've never viewed him as one of the best players in the league, outside of a single year he had in Philadelphia.

Dustin Brown, like Mike Richards, has accomplished a lot. Nowhere near talented enough though.

Trevor Linden is the only one I'd be tempted to include. He had a long career, was well respected by other players, adored by Vancouver fans and to this day is considered one of the best players for that franchise. The only thing that makes me think no is the fact that he never won anything, and wasn't quite good enough talent wise.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Brad would get in because he has a Conn Smythe, WC Gold, Two Stanley Cups and 900+ points.

playing on stacked teams does not help the case

for healthy players 300 to 400 goals with 1000 pts is usually the starting point

counting cups wins?
How many Oilers/NYI/Canadian players have 3+ and are not in the hall fame

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
Players not in the Hall that I would put in (some of which will be first ballot when they're eligible):

Martin Brodeur
Martin St.Louis (would look a lot better if it didn't take him until the age of 27 to finally make it.)
Jeremy Roenick
Pierre Turgeon
Daniel Alfredsson

GlitchMarner

Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
I don't think there is a set criteria. I do think a lot of things come into account though. Longevity of their career, stats, peak/talent level, accomplishments, how fans/players view them, ect.

I wouldn't have any of Linden/Richards/Richards/Brown in the hall. I think your criteria is way too loose, and should not be judged by looking at their stats.

Brad Richards was a talented player, but in my opinion, he wasn't good enough. He was near the top of the league for points a few times, but never really stood out to me as someone you can build around. I view him as a really good secondary piece.

Mike Richards has a lot of accomplishments, but again, not good enough. I wouldn't even have him in the hall of very good. His career didn't last long enough, his stats aren't that impressive, and I've never viewed him as one of the best players in the league, outside of a single year he had in Philadelphia.

Dustin Brown, like Mike Richards, has accomplished a lot. Nowhere near talented enough though.

Trevor Linden is the only one I'd be tempted to include. He had a long career, was well respected by other players, adored by Vancouver fans and to this day is considered one of the best players for that franchise. The only thing that makes me think no is the fact that he never won anything, and wasn't quite good enough talent wise.

Brad Richards' career was definitely better than Linden's and he was a better player.

I don't see either getting into the HHOF, but if one does, it should be Richards. Linden was basically a Mikko Koivu level centre. I agree he was a character guy and well-liked, but he just wasn't a truly high-calibre player.

BTW, Richards was essentially TB's number one centre when the team won the Cup. Lecavalier was more of a secondary guy despite being a bigger name. Richards had the second most points of any player in a single playoff run during the dead puck era with 26 (tied with Lindros and Sakic, who also had 26).

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Include that in the ceremony and list the reasons why he's getting voted out. Have ex-
teammates / NHL players talk trash about him.

Now THAT I would watch.

Replace plate with the HHOF plaque:

"Ashes to ashes, dust to dust, Bernie Federko, you're dead to us."

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf

In my opinion I'd say:

All the things you show are coincidental and a direct result of the situation the player was in. They never had the sustained peak that should be required for any time. They would be worse than Duff.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
This is what I always say: HockeyDB draft by year

4 players get in every year, so roughly 4 players from every draft year should make it, give or take 1-2 spots for a weak/strong draft class.

So if you want to know if a guy will get in look at his draft year, to be a bit more accurate look at the draft year before and after giving a 3 year span, and ask if he's one of the top 12 players in that group.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad