WJC: What does it mean? How important is USA's gold to USA Hockey?

• Thread starter Seguins Dragon*
  • Start date

SirGoose

honk honk
Jan 11, 2009
golf course
My parents, who barely watch any hockey, said they were flipping through the channels and stumbled on it and started watching the final. They said they were yelling and cheering the whole time it was so exciting. Funny, huh?

mobilus

Five and a game
Jan 6, 2009
high slot
this tournament hasn't gotten much attention here in the states, because quite frankly we sucked at it. As long as you continue to win, people will start to take notice. It is doubtful that it will ever garner front page news, but if you continue to win, and especially the way we did in such an exciting manner, people will always want to see young Americans doing well representing their country. If we can duplicate the success in 2011 on home soil, then things might continue to grow.

+1. Winning = attention = exposure.

The U.S. doesn't have to win gold every year, but if they're annually in the running then expanded media attention will follow. I would say that the U.S. development system is now as mature as Canada's, and their positive results from U17 into the pros will be as consistent as Canada's from here on in. Considering the increasing American access to the game, and their larger population base, I dare say within 10-15 years the U.S. could be the predominant hockey nation in the world.

Hooch314

Mar 16, 2008
I'm just speculating too, but I don't think it will exactly cause a huge surge or help hockey gain attention in the US. What I think it will do is encourage the existing programs that help develop these kids, and they will hopefully continue to build themselves up and draw in more players, etc.

Don't forget that the US won gold awhile back as well.

As for what it means...I think the US is getting better and better at developing players and getting more skilled players into the system, but this particular medal seems to be more about putting together the right team with good players who could win it together, rather than having developed a superstar players or two and riding them to the gold.

That is why I think the US has a chance in the Olympics. Definately can't match Canada or Russias skill but they have a very good mix of players.

OMGaudreau

Jun 19, 2006
+1. Winning = attention = exposure.

The U.S. doesn't have to win gold every year, but if they're annually in the running then expanded media attention will follow. I would say that the U.S. development system is now as mature as Canada's, and their positive results from U17 into the pros will be as consistent as Canada's from here on in. Considering the increasing American access to the game, and their larger population base, I dare say within 10-15 years the U.S. could be the predominant hockey nation in the world.

not to discredit what you are saying, because there is some truth to it eventually. The U.S. was claiming hockey superiority back in 96 when they won the inagaural World Cup, yet 14 years later Canada is still the top hockey nation.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
not to discredit what you are saying, because there is some truth to it eventually. The U.S. was claiming hockey superiority back in 96 when they won the inagaural World Cup, yet 14 years later Canada is still the top hockey nation.

well that is agreed, but that was only being claimed on a professional level. Below that level things were a mess. Way too few players were being drafted high, even fewer were actually panning out and making it into the NHL. Since the inception of the USNDP, things have gotten better. But only in the past 4-5 years has that program and US hockey in general started to really put forth a lot of effort into producing quality young men.

The way we are sitting right now, it is a better time then 96'. Because the future did not look so bright in 96', but as of today, I need to put some sunglasses on.

OMGaudreau

Jun 19, 2006
What I think get's a little overlooked is the fact that the U.S. finally had a mini camp and made players compete to make the club.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
What I think get's a little overlooked is the fact that the U.S. finally had a mini camp and made players compete to make the club.

absolutely, and Blais said it himself, he wanted to model this team and its selection process to the way Canada does it. You can't underlook that camp and what it did for these guys.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
a nice little read on NHL.com about the US team. They have a nice piece on both Parise and Modano and them watching the game and their reactions/comments. Really good stuff to see, and really good to see these established stars still root for these kids.

TorFC-TML*

This is definitely the big one!

This is the moment when the tide finally turned and hockey takes hold of the USA. I can feel it! This time its different!

puck swami

Apr 29, 2004
From a pure hockey standpoint, the win allows elite young US players to see that they can be the best in the world and creates a serious benchmark for future teams. In other words, once you win it in Canada, there are no more excuses for finishing seventh anymore. Impact: Great.

From a USA Hockey administrative standpoint, Gold Medals help in terms of validating strategy and investment, minor media interest and in a limited sense, more sponsorship, grant recognitions from the USOC, and perhaps more bid cities interest for future tourneys. Impact: Serious

From a fan stanpoint, the impact will be minimal. Junior Hockey appeals to a minor subset of hockey fans who are already in the loop, which is itself a tiny part of an oversaturated US sports menu. A few more non-hockey fans will have seen the game in a bar, but they've already likely moved on. The game was on too late for most kids to see it, unless those kids were on the west coast. You've got the NFL, College Football Bowl Games, College Hoops, and NBA all running roughshod over America's sports pages and airwaves this week. The WJC is a tiny, tiny blip on the national sports scene and will always struggle against the massive competition here. 99% of Americans have no idea what this tourney even is, let alone watched it. Impact: Minor

butteredtoast

Sep 23, 2009
Iowa
For what it's worth, the Gold medal winning goal was the top play on Sportcenters top 10 last night, and the US win was mentioned on PTI today. (With Wilbon mocking Don Cherry in the process :laugh:)

It's not much, but if you want to get through to the average American sports fan, you have to be on ESPN, so at least now average joe now knows that the tournament happened and the US won it.

BLBarmada

Congratulations on winning though you guys should be proud,you guys did what sweden could'nt do so take pride in that.I hope it helps the growth of hockey in the states but i wont hold my breath and btw were gunning for you guys now.

rtl1334

Jan 2, 2010
As a Canadian, I think this game (and the one prior) should set off alarm bells. I say this because it was obvious the US team was much faster than the Canadian side which allowed them to play a more up tempo, high pressure style. It is obvious US Hockey is putting an emphasis on skill development. As for Canada, a concern I've had for several years is the often lack of skill development emphasis from minor hockey coaches. I can recall most practices from Pee Wee onward were system or startegy oriented with little emphasis on skill development. During my time in Midget AAA and Junior, although we practiced almost everyday, not one practice was geared solely to skill development. IMO, this has to change.

Lifer

Dec 29, 2009
Minnesota
I don't know if this has been mentioned yet or not but the OT winner was only the #4 top play on Sportscenter in the US. That pretty much speaks for itself. As far as long term effects are concerned, people outside of hockey in the US are and will be unaffected. I hate to say this as an American but unfortunately most Americans need to be told that something is cool or popular before they take interest. Just watch some American network TV for a bit and you'll see what I mean. People within the game in the states will now probably pay more attention to the NTDP and even NCAA and junior hockey. The only way this type of event generates new interest in the sport is if the people who decide what others should watch on TV and read or see in the news choose to show it. Sadly, that's just not going to happen in the US. As a Minnesotan and lifelong hockey fan I would be thrilled if the powers that be started advertising next year's tournament at the start of the next NHL season.

Oh also, hey to everyone. This is my first post.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
It'll help, but I'm still curious as to how competitive it can be year in and year out though....not to mention how many are willing to leave their respective college teams or junior teams (if that is who they are playing for during their regular season) with how competitive it is to get into the playoff pictures. Those championships mean a ton to Minnesotans I know that

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
As has been stated numerous times, I don't think it will do much to engage the casual sports fan any further or get any more attention for hockey in that respect as far as sports fan are concerned. It was nice that it was on the the Top 10 on Sporstcenter, that's nice to see, but I don't think it will really increase the viewership or interest of the casual sports fan. I think people will take an interest in the olympics, and should the US get into the gold medal game, let alone win it, I think it would bolster interest a bit but I don't think the WJC will ever really get that kind of attention here.

What it does have an impact on is USA Hockey and the entire development program. They clearly found a model that works and they can continue to build on that. The US needs to win more than one gold every five or six years, though. There's no reason with the resources and talent pool they have to pick from that they shouldn't be in a gold medal game every year. Maybe have that occasional off year where you only make the semi's, but they need to build on this and continue to do what they did this year and string together at least multiple gold medal game appearances, if not victories. This will probably always be Canada's tournament to lose, and Canada as a hockey nation will always be the dominant hockey nation of the world, but that doesn't mean they can't be competed with and challenged on a yearly basis in this tournament and in terms of developing players of NHL caliber. They need to follow this victory up with success next year and not take any steps back.

mobilus

Five and a game
Jan 6, 2009
high slot
As a Canadian, I think this game (and the one prior) should set off alarm bells. I say this because it was obvious the US team was much faster than the Canadian side which allowed them to play a more up tempo, high pressure style. It is obvious US Hockey is putting an emphasis on skill development. As for Canada, a concern I've had for several years is the often lack of skill development emphasis from minor hockey coaches. I can recall most practices from Pee Wee onward were system or startegy oriented with little emphasis on skill development. During my time in Midget AAA and Junior, although we practiced almost everyday, not one practice was geared solely to skill development. IMO, this has to change.
Truth. When the U.S. wins three or four golds in a five year span (and they will, by 2020) only then will Canadian hockey development change, but not before.

DrFeelgood

Chairman Meow
May 8, 2006
San Jose, CA
To put a bit of perspective on how the US views the WJCs, the game stats weren't even on the ESPN Bottom Line (ticker on the bottom) until this morning, and it was just listed under "News"

mimic

Nov 18, 2009
Michigan
Won't make any difference at all.

I live in Michigan and if it weren't for hockey forums every year I'd know nothing about it. This is the first year I've ever heard about it (other than following it on forums) and that was because I happened to look and see what was on NHL Network.

Over all of the years there has never been any other time I've ever seen or heard about it at all. Not in the papers, on tv or marketing for it.

LeafErikson

Schwifty 24/7
Jun 23, 2004
Victoria B.C.
No one really cares about U20 hockey tournaments outside of Canada.

If this tournament were the Olympics and broadcast on NBC, then maybe.

The people who run, and play for the programs for their countries do. It's the fault of the country for not caring as well. It's a great tournament, with great young players, who deserve the attention.

Selanne08*

i think its important but the fact that it was hardly televised around is not a good thing.

imagine if this was the olympic final and the game ended this way.

it would be EPIC for the USA

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY
The people who run, and play for the programs for their countries do. It's the fault of the country for not caring as well. It's a great tournament, with great young players, who deserve the attention.

That may be, but the fact is that Canada is the only country that really, really cares about this tournament.

In terms of junior hockey, the NCAA Frozen Four tournament is probably a much bigger deal than the WJCs in the US, and the Frozen Four doesn't get that much attention except in certain regions.

I'm not trying to put down the WJCs, that's just the way it is. I hope next year's tournament is a big success in Buffalo.

You have to admit that an international tournament is much better off if more than one country really cares about it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad