WJC: What does it mean? How important is USA's gold to USA Hockey?

• Thread starter Seguins Dragon*
  • Start date

Seguins Dragon*

I was thinking, with the USA winning, it must help or at least make hockey gain some attention in the USA... maybe I am wrong living in Canada, because it is such a big deal here.

I am just curious what kind of impact this win would have, does it get national notice?

Could an epic win like the one yesterday help Hockey USA gain some steam or encourage more kids to play?

Or does the win not really have much an impact at all??

I am not sure why, I thought it would only do good things for USA, I mean, I think at least the win will help sell more tickets in Buffalo and perhaps generate more fans, but I am pretty sure American's are very partriot and will support any National team representing their country, even a hotdog eating contect ;)

Just curious for thoughts on this, from someone who would have a valid opinion, not just speculating like myself.

Thanks

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
I'm just speculating too, but I don't think it will exactly cause a huge surge or help hockey gain attention in the US. What I think it will do is encourage the existing programs that help develop these kids, and they will hopefully continue to build themselves up and draw in more players, etc.

Don't forget that the US won gold awhile back as well.

As for what it means...I think the US is getting better and better at developing players and getting more skilled players into the system, but this particular medal seems to be more about putting together the right team with good players who could win it together, rather than having developed a superstar players or two and riding them to the gold.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
I was thinking, with the USA winning, it must help or at least make hockey gain some attention in the USA... maybe I am wrong living in Canada, because it is such a big deal here.

I am just curious what kind of impact this win would have, does it get national notice?

Could an epic win like the one yesterday help Hockey USA gain some steam or encourage more kids to play?

I am not sure why, I thought it would only do good things for USA, I mean, I think at least the win will help sell more tickets in Buffalo and perhaps generate more fans, but I am pretty sure American's are very partriot and will support any National team representing their country, even a hotdog eating contect ;)

Just curious for thoughts on this, from someone who would have a valid opinion, not just speculating like myself.

Thanks

No one really cares about U20 hockey tournaments outside of Canada.

If this tournament were the Olympics and broadcast on NBC, then maybe.

TheSandman

Apr 18, 2006
San Jose
I'm just speculating too, but I don't think it will exactly cause a huge surge or help hockey gain attention in the US. What I think it will do is encourage the existing programs that help develop these kids, and they will hopefully continue to build themselves up and draw in more players, etc.

Don't forget that the US won gold awhile back as well.

As for what it means...I think the US is getting better and better at developing players and getting more skilled players into the system, but this particular medal seems to be more about putting together the right team with good players who could win it together, rather than having developed a superstar players or two and riding them to the gold.

Perfect answer.

I'm as big of a fan of the NHL, the Sharks, and I play myself. The WJC is hardly ever on my radar, though it has been more so this year........and this is the first I'm hearing of the USA winning, so there you go.

Seguins Dragon*

No one really cares about U20 hockey tournaments outside of Canada.

If this tournament were the Olympics and broadcast on NBC, then maybe.

I was thinking that as well...

That is why i am asking, because I really do not know the answer, because I am not American or living in USA

Mr Lahey*

my buddy who lives in Minnesota emailed me today and asked me if I was going to watch the gold medal game tonight

Roughneck

Oct 15, 2003
Calgary
Visit site
You have to remember that before Grand Forks the U.S. won gold as well, and Canada still had the 'home ice advantage'.

It would be nice if they could carry this win to more coverage in Buffalo, but I wouldn't bet on it.

wjhl2009fan

Nov 13, 2008

Thanks

As for winning the gold yes it will help but i don't think it will have that much of a impact.If the states was to win the olympics i beleave that would have a much bigger impact over winning the wjc.Oy side of canada the wjc means not muich to most which is sadbut thats how it is.

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
The U.S. winning the gold is important to USA Hockey, more so than some people might think. It means that the grass roots programs all over the states are starting to work. It also means that other hockey programs across the world are going to start re-evaluating their programs in order to produce better players. It also means that US National Team Development Program is a bonafide program that produces good players.

Hockey Canada will always be the measuring stick when it comes to hockey development at a grass roots level. This isn't a loss that is going to hurt Hockey Canada, but it's definitely something that is going to boost the prominence of USA Hockey and maybe it means less Americans will go the route of the CHL and stay with USNTDP and continue to help make that program even better.

wjhl2009fan

Nov 13, 2008
The U.S. winning the gold is important to USA Hockey, more so than some people might think. It means that the grass roots programs all over the states are starting to work. It also means that other hockey programs across the world are going to start re-evaluating their programs in order to produce better players. It also means that US National Team Development Program is a bonafide program that produces good players.

Hockey Canada will always be the measuring stick when it comes to hockey development at a grass roots level. This isn't a loss that is going to hurt Hockey Canada, but it's definitely something that is going to boost the prominence of USA Hockey and maybe it means less Americans will go the route of the CHL and stay with USNTDP and continue to help make that program even better.

There were some american players that do play in the chl.

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
It tides over hockey fans, the hockey program, and players in the USA Hockey system for a while. It's a boon to people who already follow hockey closely, and by that I mean well beyond the NHL level.

The reality is that the vast majority of the US population doesn't care about elite NHL hockey, however, and a very small number of NHL fans in the US care about junior tournaments. Very few know that the tournament took place, and only in select markets is the media doing anything to publicize the fact. Only a small percentage of the population can find the NHL Network on the dial, if they receive the channel at all.

It will take an Olympic gold to register on the national consciousness. Even then, it would be seen as America's best against the rest of the world's best, which won't compare to college kids besting Soviet pros in 1980.

The benefit is to those people who have toiled in the program, whose life is hockey in the US. For those people, wins like the U20 and U17 this week are a glass of water in the desert. At the U20 level especially, those don't come around every day for the US, and they know it.

It gives those people sustenance as they continue to gradually and methodically improve the US program, bringing hockey to more and more people across the US, leveraging the country's tenfold population advantage over Canada. They aren't going to match hockey-as-#1-sport in Canada, but they are also competing for the sporting dollar and attention of many more people in the USA. They know that they don't need to lure the same percentage of the overall population as does Canada at home.

It's not an earthquake, or a watershed moment. It does certainly help, though. It fosters hope among the faithful in USA Hockey, and makes it easier to raise funds.

OMGaudreau

Jun 19, 2006
It will give USA hockey some more confidence in that their system is working (just like 2004) and may even bring in more dollars for the USANTDP. We should be seeing more medal performances from the USA as the years go by.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
And in general more medal performances means the recruiting and development programs are working better, which should mean better NHLers are being produced, which increases the talent pool at the NHL level and makes the US more competitive at the Olympics (assuming NHLers continue to go to them...we'll see how that works out).

At any rate, more talent in the NHL is a very good thing for the NHL in general.

FallsForItEveryYear

Jun 26, 2007
unfortunately the world juniors just isnt a big deal in the US. the fans that know about it and watch it are already dedicated to the sport. there isn't enough coverage to grab the attention of any new fans. even a good chunk of nhl fans probably didn't know it was even going on unless they stumbled across it on nhl network.

The Olympics has the chance to build hockey. It would be good for hockey and good for the NHL if the US has a great performance. they need to be in the gold medal game. just medaling isnt good enough. they need to be in the gold medal game and they cant get beat handily.

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY

Thanks

Probably not a huge impact in terms of winning over new fans. There's not huge media coverage of the WJCs in the US the way that there is in Canada.

I mean, the games were broadcast on NHL Network in the US, which is fairly limited in its distribution, aside from which, people watching NHL Network are probably already hockey fans to begin with.

If the US medals in the Olympics next month, that will be a different story. The Olympics are a tournament that the average American actually pays attention to, and it gets lots of media coverage on ESPN and games broadcast on a major network (NBC).

For the 2nd part of your question, it may help sell tickets in Buffalo next year. The WJCs were getting a lot of local media attention and hype in Buffalo due to the fact that the tournament is hosted there next year. Of course, I don't think next year's tournament was ever in danger of not selling-out, due to the proximity to southern Ontario, but hopefully the American gold this year might pique interest and lead to American fans making up a respectable portion of the crowd.

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
There were some american players that do play in the chl.

The majority of the team was from the NCAA and USNTDP (13). 9 players were from the CHL. Anyways, my point was that the USNTDP might just be a real viable alternative now to the CHL and that a lot of these guys might not have to leave to play hockey in Canada. The more other countries can do to build credible and reputable hockey programs, the better off the sport is.

CapsWolverinesUSA

Jan 3, 2007
I think it just further validates USA Hockey's overall development efforts, which have already been validated at the U-18 level. Things are on the right course.

Seguins Dragon*

Probably not a huge impact in terms of winning over new fans. There's not huge media coverage of the WJCs in the US the way that there is in Canada.

I mean, the games were broadcast on NHL Network in the US, which is fairly limited in its distribution, aside from which, people watching NHL Network are probably already hockey fans to begin with.

If the US medals in the Olympics next month, that will be a different story. The Olympics are a tournament that the average American actually pays attention to, and it gets lots of media coverage on ESPN and games broadcast on a major network (NBC).

For the 2nd part of your question, it may help sell tickets in Buffalo next year. The WJCs were getting a lot of local media attention and hype in Buffalo due to the fact that the tournament is hosted there next year. Of course, I don't think next year's tournament was ever in danger of not selling-out, due to the proximity to southern Ontario, but hopefully the American gold this year might pique interest and lead to American fans making up a respectable portion of the crowd.

That is what I been curious about, I mean I live in Canada, very cose to the border (actually work at the border oddly enough) and I know myself and at least 5 other friends of mine are getting tickets, I imagine many other Canadians are too... just curious what America's turn out would be, I figured a win like this would help bring in more Americans.

Maybe its me, but it seems maybe USA hockey is picking up steam, I mean American players have been a part of the NHL for awhile now, but it seems the quanitity of quality players are steadily increasing over the last 5 years, and I really think the win last night, PLUS like others mentioned an olympic medal (which is a REAL possability) will help generate even more steam for USA hockey and soon see even more high caliber American players.. just my thought.

leaflover

Stanley Cup 2022
Mar 3, 2002
beautiful B.C
Visit site
If nothing else it will boost interest in the WJC for next year in Buffalo. Its then that this years performance pays off if they ice a similarly exciting team in 2011 and have success.

UvBnDatsyuked

Apr 30, 2005
I think it just further validates USA Hockey's overall development efforts, which have already been validated at the U-18 level. Things are on the right course.

Agree. This first and foremost lets the US brass realize that the programs that have developed most of these kids is working. There is no need to do anything other than keep fighting the fight and make small adjustments here and there.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
What I hope this means is the model for success that was used this year (kudos to Dean Blais and co!) continues. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, and Canada deserves to be the model here.

Cory Trevor

Smokes, Let's go
Sep 23, 2009
Waltham
My two buddies who never watch hockey watched the whole game glued to their television. It's all about buzz around the game and this was a good game to do that. The impact won't be dramatic, but it is another piece in the puzzle.

Titan124

Oct 14, 2005
US hockey will be totally different. Every year a number of players with the defense of fedorov, offense of gretzky, and grit of Gillies (idk, first one that came to mind) will be produced. Starting next year each and every player on the junior team will break NHL records for speed and hardest shot. The defenseman will be Orr-Pronger hybrids. Anything less is a failure.

But seriously, because of the lack of visibility I'd imagine this gold would have the most impact on the USNTDP and wherever Blais coached (North Dakota?).

Dec 10, 2008
NoDak now NYC area
US hockey will be totally different. Every year a number of players with the defense of fedorov, offense of gretzky, and grit of Gillies (idk, first one that came to mind) will be produced. Starting next year each and every player on the junior team will break NHL records for speed and hardest shot. The defenseman will be Orr-Pronger hybrids. Anything less is a failure.

But seriously, because of the lack of visibility I'd imagine this gold would have the most impact on the USNTDP and wherever Blais coached (North Dakota?).

Yup. He coached at ND (started as an assistant) for a little over 20 years. He was a part of 3 Sioux NCAA championships. I'm sure there'll be something in the Grand Forks paper (where UND is) about Kristo and the US winning, but it won't be nearly as big of a deal as the "golden boys." When Parise, Stafford and Brady Murray were all on UND and were instrumental in helping the US bring home the gold that year. It was crazy..

In the big picture, this championship won't have a huge impact in terms of hockey coverage in the US. Not many people care about the WJC's in the USA, but it'll have an impact on the programs and getting more kids into hockey I think.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
this tournament hasn't gotten much attention here in the states, because quite frankly we sucked at it. As long as you continue to win, people will start to take notice. It is doubtful that it will ever garner front page news, but if you continue to win, and especially the way we did in such an exciting manner, people will always want to see young Americans doing well representing their country. If we can duplicate the success in 2011 on home soil, then things might continue to grow.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad