What does Howard need to do to get re-signed?

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
Doesn't matter who's in net for the next 3-5 years.

Holland goes out and gets a stud goaltender somehow - "WTF the Wings need to tank"
Holland re-signs Howard and continue to amass good draft picks - "LOL gotta love the country club"

Reactions: ShelbyZ and Makorov

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI

Holland goes out and gets a stud goaltender somehow - "WTF the Wings need to tank"
Holland re-signs Howard and continue to amass good draft picks - "LOL gotta love the country club"
The first sentence is correct.
The second part is unnecessary crap that makes this board suck.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Its time they move on from him. I'd rather they sign another value guy who is youngish and work on building the backend. A good defense can make any goalie tandem look good, remember that Detroit won a cup backstopped by an old Osgood and a way past his prime Hasek, and they won the Jennings trophy.

HockeyinHD

Semi-retired former active poster.
Jun 18, 2006
The first sentence is correct.
The second part is unnecessary crap that makes this board suck.

There are a couple posts in the thread that already hint at the second point.

Anyway, if Howard came back for Bernier's contract I'd be fine with it. Maybe not 3 years long, but 2 years at 3-3.5 per would be fine. Honestly, as long as Detroit wants to keep running this scam where they sign a guy, trade him at the deadline and then re-sign him the following year... great.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Its time they move on from him. I'd rather they sign another value guy who is youngish and work on building the backend. A good defense can make any goalie tandem look good, remember that Detroit won a cup backstopped by an old Osgood and a way past his prime Hasek, and they won the Jennings trophy.
But sign who? Garbage young-ish throwaways like Mrazek? Re-signing Howard on the short-term and continuing to develop the internal pipeline seems a pretty good strategy. Goaltending is an area where you really don't gain much by being young just for the sake of being young.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009

It's not like Howard is hot garbage and it's not like he'd be cheap.

Signing middling talent that keeps us too bad to compete, too good to bottom out, and for too much money for flexibility is helping kill the team.

I would never complain about signing Howard during a rebuild if he was an awful goalie. He's not though. That's why I would complain.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
But sign who? Garbage young-ish throwaways like Mrazek? Re-signing Howard on the short-term and continuing to develop the internal pipeline seems a pretty good strategy. Goaltending is an area where you really don't gain much by being young just for the sake of being young.

Instead re-sign an over the hill, glass head case like Howard? Its time to move on. The team isn't a good goaltender away from making the playoffs, let alone contending, its time to move on.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Instead re-sign an over the hill, glass head case like Howard? Its time to move on. The team isn't a good goaltender away from making the playoffs, let alone contending, its time to move on.
Maybe, but there’s nothing gained by simply ”moving on” if the replacement is either another similar veteran, or a younger and worse goalie who won’t be here long term anyway. This team isn’t a different goalie away from playoffs, contending or successfully rebuilding.

Reactions: Winger98

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Maybe, but there’s nothing gained by simply ”moving on” if the replacement is either another similar veteran, or a younger and worse goalie who won’t be here long term anyway. This team isn’t a different goalie away from playoffs, contending or successfully rebuilding.

yeah, the lousy truth is that when Mrazek imploded it did a serious number to our moving forward on the goalie front. If Bernier has another solid season we could have some more options in taking a flier on someone else's Mrazek later on or something, but that's probably all we can hope for.

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
It's not like Howard is hot garbage and it's not like he'd be cheap.

Signing middling talent that keeps us too bad to compete, too good to bottom out, and for too much money for flexibility is helping kill the team.

I would never complain about signing Howard during a rebuild if he was an awful goalie. He's not though. That's why I would complain.
There isn't much I can disagree with here but would like to say on a Zetterberg-less team even if Howard plays lights out I don't think it will be enough to steal games.

Just keep the combined salaries under $6-7 million is all I ask KH to do.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
A pen. That's pretty much the extent of it. It's not the end of the world, I'd just prefer to go after a younger goalie who will not cost much in terms of cap hit or term. Lehner and Hammond would be good options. Neither needs to be the main guy with Bernier already signed. With Howard you know it's gonna be a multi year deal at a cap hit he absolutely could not get on the open market and with a NMC/NTC thrown in as well. The Wings only trade guys who get the rep as malcontents and Howie doesn't fit that description. Plus I cannot believe there's any market for him, he's won what, one playoff series in his career?

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Howard is part of the Holland country club. He is a lifetime wing and would be silly to sign anywhere else, he will never get the sweethart salary, term and NMC Holland would give him elsewhere.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
If a team needs a goalie, Id imagine Howard is near the top of the list. At least 16-20 goalies will be unavailable (without an upgrade) due to the playoff races. This leaves you with 10 starting goalies. From there 3-4 of them will be unavailable baring an opportunity to upgrade the team’s situation. Looking at last years standings those guys would be Lundqvist, Talbot, Crawford and Price. For the upcoming season I’m going to assume that Lundqvist could be available and Crawford is probably switched with someone else having a down year.

Any inquiring team would essentially be looking at Lundqvist, Crawford (as a placeholder), Lehner, Markstrom/Nilsson, Keumper, Mrazek, Andersson/Condon, Ullmark/Hutton, a random flash in the pan, unproven prospect and Howard.

Howard is probably the 3rd or 4th best available goalie. If you factor in contractual situations he could easily be the #1 target.

Next summer I’m okay with resigning howard as long as it’s no longer than 2 years and cheaper AAV than his current contract. That said, I would prefer to go after a cheaper or younger option and maximize the availabile cap space to chase a premier FA like Karlsson, Seguin, etc.

Last edited:

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
Let Howie go. Sign a cheap UFA back up. Ride Bernier out for the duration of his contract as a cheap starter and accumulate good/great draft picks. Hope that in 3 years time a prospect progresses to challenge for starter then resign Bernier for a 2 year deal as a elder backup 1b scenario.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Howard is a head case?

This was oft reported in his NCAA and Grand Rapids that he had consistency problems, that weren't due to his abilities. Talent and scouting reports always had him as a gifted goalie with consistency issues. It even followed him his first few NHL appearances, that a bad goal would shake him. We still see that to this day, he will be great then will have a bad game or two that would become a stretch.

https://thehockeywriters.com/detroit-red-wings-goaltending-battle-already-weighing-on-jimmy-howard/

His confidence issues became such a talking point that both Khan and HSJ wrote articles trying to say he didn't have a confidence issue.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
This was oft reported in his NCAA and Grand Rapids that he had consistency problems, that weren't due to his abilities. Talent and scouting reports always had him as a gifted goalie with consistency issues. It even followed him his first few NHL appearances, that a bad goal would shake him. We still see that to this day, he will be great then will have a bad game or two that would become a stretch.

Analyzing the Confidence of Detroit Red Wings Jimmy Howard

His confidence issues became such a talking point that both Khan and HSJ wrote articles trying to say he didn't have a confidence issue.
You're going back to his NCAA reports and an article (using the word loosely) from The Hockey Writers of all places where some guy speculates on a bad game Howard played? You're really reaching here.

In the world of goalies, I've seen no indication Howard even approaches being deemed a head case. Injury prone? yes. Mediocre? sure. Head Case? Not even close.

Come on. ALL goalies are headcases. If you have one who looks like he's cool, calm, and collected? He's just hiding it.
:laugh: Exactly. Goalies are by definition weird. But Howard is a pretty normal goaltender.

Wingsfan 4 life

Oct 9, 2016

https://thehockeywriters.com/detroit-red-wings-goaltending-battle-already-weighing-on-jimmy-howard/

Howard has concentration issues, not confidence issues.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad