What does Howard need to do to get re-signed?

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
With Bernier signed for 3 years and no goalie prospects in the pipeline, do the Wings continue to re-sign Howard every season until he retires? Or if we show enough promise this year does Holland go out and address the goaltending via trade or UFA signing in the offseason?

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
If Bernier can supplant Howard as the starter, then I hope they trade Howard, even prior to the TDL. If no better & cheaper back-up can found in the offseason, then KH probably resigns him unfortunately, to the gold watch contract i.e. 2-3 yrs. @ 2.5-4.5M. Howard should make less than Bernier's $3M as a 1B or backup. Even if we're sniffing a WC spot near the deadline, it'd be best long term to trade Howard & tank the rest of the season...Jack Hughes or best Dman 2019 draft.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
I hope KH doesn't trade assests for any goaltender, unless it's the final piece of the SC contender title, which we're so far away from. I wouldn't mind Seguin or Duchene in the offseason & a TOP 3 dman (in not a #1 or #2).

DDK-Green
TOP3 Dman-Hronek
...we'd essentially have a #3-Green, a #4 in DDK & Hronek + the acquired TOP 3 Dman, defense by committee until we get a #1 or #2.

+ whatever:
Big E/Daley/Jensen/Kronner/Sulak/Hicketts
-------------------------------------------------------
2019:
DDK-Green
TOP3 Dman-Hronek
Cholowski-

+ 2-3 of whatever:
Big E/Daley/Jensen/Sulak/Hicketts
DDK-Green
TOP3 Dman-Hronek

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Take nearly half of his salary, up to 3 million.

Play consistent .920 goaltending for the season.

Can't get injured and come back terrible.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I think the last thing I want to see Holland going shopping for is a goalie, and I think he stays out of that market. The only UFA who looks like he could be that clear cut #1 would be Bobrovsky, and he has to hit the open market to begin with. I think a few things will affect Howard's resigning. One is price, I don't think Holland is looking to blow a lot of cap on another goalie, especially with Bernier inked. The second is how well Bernier plays. If Bernier has a really good year, keeping Howard becomes less important. The third issue is how well Sateri plays in GR and, I assume, in Detroit when he gets the opportunity.

The team has talked up Sateri when they've had the chance. I think they clearly like him. If he shines this year, Howard might be shown the door regardless.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
If none of the goalies in Grand Rapids show promise or growth he’ll probably bring back Howard on a two-year deal.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
Say healthy coupled with a horrible season by Bernier. Holland is loyal to a fault so I suspect if Howard shows any flashes of being capable for a season that’s enough to make him a lifer for the wings.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I don't see any realistic scenario where I'd want Howard to return. And I don't see a scenario where Holland doesn't bring him back.

Yet another case of, "we know this guy, so let's not rock the boat, even if that means keeping a guy with no future, while paying him a little more money than he deserves".

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
I don't see any realistic scenario where I'd want Howard to return. And I don't see a scenario where Holland doesn't bring him back.

Yet another case of, "we know this guy, so let's not rock the boat, even if that means keeping a guy with no future, while paying him a little more money than he deserves".
Totally agree the problem is we really don’t have any prospects ready to take the back up job assuming Bernier is the starter going forward. I’m not a fan of Howard but if he comes back on a one year deal for cheap (which I doubt he would take) I wouldn’t be totally against it. Only if his groin holds up this year and it’s a 1 year deal.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Totally agree the problem is we really don’t have any prospects ready to take the back up job assuming Bernier is the starter going forward. I’m not a fan of Howard but if he comes back on a one year deal for cheap (which I doubt he would take) I wouldn’t be totally against it. Only if his groin holds up this year and it’s a 1 year deal.
Except that the stories are already starting that it'll be more than 1 year:

Detroit Red Wings mailbag: Is Jimmy Howard trade looming?

HSJ: Howard, 34, is entering the last year of a five-year contract with a $5.3 million salary cap hit. If he has a good season, he’s likely to get an extension in the two-year range, for less money. The Wings committed three years at $3 million annual cap hit to Bernier, 30, but they don’t have anybody in the system on the horizon to step in as his backup.

If a decent offer materializes for Howard near the deadline, the Wings could move him and then look at bringing him back. The Wings know what they have in Howard, they like him, and he’s played well for them the past two years.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
Except that the stories are already starting that it'll be more than 1 year:

Detroit Red Wings mailbag: Is Jimmy Howard trade looming?

HSJ: Howard, 34, is entering the last year of a five-year contract with a $5.3 million salary cap hit. If he has a good season, he’s likely to get an extension in the two-year range, for less money. The Wings committed three years at $3 million annual cap hit to Bernier, 30, but they don’t have anybody in the system on the horizon to step in as his backup.

If a decent offer materializes for Howard near the deadline, the Wings could move him and then look at bringing him back. The Wings know what they have in Howard, they like him, and he’s played well for them the past two years.
Well there you have it.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Goaltending is an area where stability is good. Don’t see any real downside to bringing Howie back 1-2 years for less money. No prospects would get blocked. If he stays relatively healthy and above .910 sv% I think he comes back.

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
The future has to be paramount and we shouldn't have any goaltender on the hook for $4M+/year until we are ready to contend. If it means going out and signing a free agent goaltender with something to prove, then that's what we do. The Red Wings future is 3-5 years away and anyone not firmly able to be in that window should not be brought back.

So if Jimmy wants to come back on a year by year basis for 3M or less, I am fine with that. Nothing longer than two years and absolutely no NMC or NTC. If he doesn't want to do that, then that's fine. There are plenty of other goalies that will be Free Agents, after this upcoming season is over.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Last we saw of Jimmy he appeared in peak condition to be rewarded with a multi-year contract.

Aww, c'mon Bench. That's a low blow. Give the guy a break. I mean, he might even use his newfound form to distinct advantage on the ice...

...if he thinks the puck looks like a baby.

th

bfbb25f351ce9fd4c7bebd1c9551cd4838b00f56aa804228106e6adcc00123d7.jpg[img]

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

MBauer

Feb 19, 2012
MI
If he plays most of the games and has a around a .915 or better he will be re-signed no doubt. Holland doesn't like to change things up if he doesn't have to, and we don't have any goalie prospects who are close to ready.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
If he plays most of the games and has a around a .915 or better he will be re-signed no doubt. Holland doesn't like to change things up if he doesn't have to, and we don't have any goalie prospects who are close to ready.

If he does that, we have no reason to sign a different backup.

He’s not getting 5.3M again, so I’m okay with them keeping him there. At .915 he would be a good secondary option and with him at Bernier at 6 (assuming he’d do 3M also, he’s likely end up at less) is perfectly tenable

JoesuffP

Feb 3, 2016
Keep re signing Howard until a prospect needs to play. Cap space will be a non issue starting next year. Good situation for a rebuilding team

Reactions: Oddbob

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Keep re signing Howard until a prospect needs to play. Cap space will be a non issue starting next year. Good situation for a rebuilding team

I don't think we have any top shelf goalie prospects, when this team is ready to contend for the playoffs we'll need to sign or trade for a goalie.

turkeyslurpees

Aug 26, 2018
Detroit
He needs to stay healthy and put up decent numbers. .915+ SV% and sub-2.50 GAA would be nice. Would love to have him back if he's able to perform and gain the trust of the coach and teammates.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad