What does Barrie bring to the Leafs?

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
I think he brings balance more than anything. All our pick movers were lefties last year (Rielly, Gardiner, Dermott). It allowed teams to target one side of the ice. Our new D-core with Barrie will leave teams guessing.
Muzzin-Barrie
Rielly-Ceci
Dermott-Harpur/cheap vet UFA

Muzzin is likely the best option to cover for Barrie and they've spent time together at world championships already. Rielly can likely get the most out of Ceci's game. And Dermott will be our pick mover with whoever wins a spot. I think our Defence has some good balance for once

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Our puck movement will be better than ever if we are running Rielly and Barrie on each top-4 pairing.

I haven't viewed Barrie a ton in Colorado but I remember in some of those games vs Calgary and San Jose him wowing me with how crisp he is with his breakout passes. He isn't the most powerful guy on the ice though, Muzzin would be a good partner for him to keep the front of the net guarded. He's also an expert at getting pucks through at the point, he doesn't have a rocket shot but it's very accurate.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Berkshire called him a super Gardiner. Better offensively but worse defensively. If that is the case, he should take over Rielly's spot on the #1 PP and free up Morgs to help with the PK.

You don't demote a 72 point defenseman from the #1 PP.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
You don't demote a 72 point defenseman from the #1 PP.

I recall our #1 PP sucked the last half of the year. Barrie on the #1 PP frees up Rielly to play more 5v5 and some PK minutes. Who knows what our PK looks like this year with our 2 best PKers gone? Rielly is a pro and will do what is best for the team. For all we know, Barrie puts up 75+ points as a Leaf.

Reactions: leafsfan5

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
From what I've heard about Barrie, he's not the best pure defenseman in the world, but he is rather good on the Power Play and PPK. He's also quite good with puck possession.

What else does Barrie bring to the Leafs that could be of value?

Puck possession and zone exits are incredibly important. The more time the Leafs have control of the puck, the better.

Reactions: GuthrieGovan

member 300185

Best comparison that I can see is Kaberle. He is a right shot Kaberle. Little shorter, little lighter, but offensively gifted. Skates just like Tomas as well.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I recall our #1 PP sucked the last half of the year. Barrie on the #1 PP frees up Rielly to play more 5v5 and some PK minutes. Who knows what our PK looks like this year with our 2 best PKers gone? Rielly is a pro and will do what is best for the team. For all we know, Barrie puts up 75+ points as a Leaf.

This reads like shiny new toy syndrome.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I realize you can't have the puck all game, but I think many fans are fixated on "What do we do when we don't have the puck" defence whereas Dubas is fixated on "Let's keep the puck as often as possible" defence.

The real philosophical problem here is the "fixation."

Build a team with the goal of a championship in mind. This task requires many diverse abilities to handle many diverse and difficult game situations. Don't build a team like you're trying to win an internet debate.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Barrie is like Wayne Gretzky (only better) according to some of you.

With that in mind expectations are through the roof. He will no doubt be a bust.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
The real philosophical problem here is the "fixation."

Build a team with the goal of a championship in mind. This task requires many diverse abilities to handle many diverse and difficult game situations. Don't build a team like you're trying to win an internet debate.
Doesn't really matter how you do the job as long as the job gets done.

Brown Dog

Jun 23, 2007
Getting this guy at $2.75 million is pretty crazy good. If Kerfoot can put his stamp on that 3C job, this should be a very successful trade.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Doesn't really matter how you do the job as long as the job gets done.

It's a cute sentiment, but when the Leafs lose every year by being exposed for their flaws it's easy to see that they need to consider all aspects of the game.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
It's a cute sentiment, but when the Leafs lose every year by being exposed for their flaws it's easy to see that they need to consider all aspects of the game.
When the Caps lose every year, they need to consider all aspects of the game.
Didn't they win by still going with the same gameplan? Build with the winger.
The sentiment is true.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Explosive offense from the right side. Dwinger was invented for him. His defense is just more attacking, and to some extent it works. You can't score if he is constantly penetrating your D zone. He wasn't my first choice but he could really fit in well. On of the issues the club has had is the D inability to get the puck out to their horde of scoring forwards. There may be a really good fit here.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
When the Caps lose every year, they need to consider all aspects of the game.
Didn't they win by still going with the same gameplan? Build with the winger.
The sentiment is true.

Seems like the Capitals became significantly better when they added a second 1C and won when they added Tom Wilson to their top-6. If anything, they've become progressively less skilled and more gritty on the wings.

I like the addition of Barrie, but in comparison to most cup winners, we lack defenders who can defend well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad