What does a 3rd Cup and a back to back do for Malkin's Legacy?

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
Still wont be top 100 when people look back at the NHL top 100 list. That list was just so bad.

He is a top 100 player all time and one of the best of his generation.

BeezKnees

Jun 4, 2010
Orlando, FL
It changes nothing- exactly, which is unfortunate. His legacy will be: Extremely good player- one of the best of all time imo- that will naturally always be overshadowed and underrated because of playing on the same team as Crosby and because he's Russian.

Spartachat

Aug 2, 2016
Ottawa
He is probably a top 150 player of all time. However, he is probably the 6th best active player behind Olvie, Crosby, Kane, Seabrook and Teows (the best).

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
He was a hall of famer before they won their second title. Plus he has been overall arguably one of the top 3 players in the game during the length of his career. That top 100 list was silly.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
It changes nothing- exactly, which is unfortunate. His legacy will be: Extremely good player- one of the best of all time imo- that will naturally always be overshadowed and underrated because of playing on the same team as Crosby and because he's Russian.

That narrative needs to stop because it's idiotic imo. Nobody cares if he's Russian.

Look at Karlsson? He's a Swede and everyone was going crazy over him these playoffs.

I do agree though that Crosby does overshadow him, sometimes even unjustly so, but it's not because one is russian and one is canadian.

Raym11

Oct 6, 2009
50 years from now he'll be the guy people bring up in hologram arguments as their hipster picks for greatest of his generation while only mentioning his high points to contest for best player.

Lets be honest, Crosby will go down in history as the better player and be remembered more, but they were never very far apart and both had their times at the top.

I believe Ovechkin will overshadow him more than anyone even with lack of team success

We've been watching a time in the league where the best players are so close without true frontrunners and we should be happier about that than worrying about how someone will look in a history book

yuri28

Jan 16, 2012
Probably top 25 of all time even if he stops his career right now.
Need some checking but is he not now the only European player to win twice the POs scoring title?

BeezKnees

Jun 4, 2010
Orlando, FL
That narrative needs to stop because it's idiotic imo. Nobody cares if he's Russian.

Look at Karlsson? He's a Swede and everyone was going crazy over him these playoffs.

I do agree though that Crosby does overshadow him, sometimes even unjustly so, but it's not because one is russian and one is canadian.

It's not idiotic. Of course it's a factor. I'm not saying it should be, but it is... when you're talking about historical 'legacy' in a North American league, North American players get preference more often than not. It's why Crosby gets MVP this year while Malkin led the team in playoff scoring. It's why Brodeur/Roy are considered the greatest goalie of all time and it has to be a hot-take to consider Hasek for that title.

Btw, where was Karlsson ranked on that top 100 list? He gets credit for being an amazing player, just like Malkin does, sure. But when it comes down to determining a players historical significance/legacy, which in itself is stupid/ subjective a lot of the time, there will always be a bias for North Americans.

I wish we could see a list like the top 100 made by a European panel and see how many of the character/leader North Americans are left off for players who had significantly more talent.

catnip

Jan 5, 2015
Nothing. He's not seen as enough of a leader or a playoff warrior to get extra credit for team accomplishments. His legacy will continue to be that of a supporting player on Crosby's team - albeit a very good one at that.

Phil68

Jun 13, 2009
This really sucks for this dude. The Media is something else. At least he is way better than Kane and Toews

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Right now, I think it's fair to say that Malkin is the greatest Russian NHLer ever - ahead of Ovechkin, Fedorov and Bure. I'd put Malkin in the 25-30 range right now with plenty of time to climb the ladder. I've always felt Malkin was extremely underrated overall.

bathdog

Oct 27, 2016
Probably top 25 of all time even if he stops his career right now.
Need some checking but is he not now the only European player to win twice the POs scoring title?

Ok thanks for the input
Not with scoring over 20 pts though i think.:)

Kopi had 20pts in his lowest (tied lead). 1.00ppg in both runs.
Krejci had 23pts in his lowest. 0.92ppg/1.18ppg.

Forsberg won it twice without even playing the finals, 24pts in lowest. 1.26ppg/1.35ppg.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad