Line Combos: What do you think the line combos will be for the start of the 19/20 season?

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
RNH - McDavid - Yamamoto
Benson - Draisaitl - Chiasson
Granlund - Marody - Gagner/Puljujarvi
Khaira/Nygard - Cave - Kassian

I'd rather gamble on Yamo, Benson, and Marody to produce than Lucic, Jurco, Brodziak. Press box Lucic and waive Jurco and Brodziak.

Klefbom - Larsson
Nurse - Bouchard
Lagesson - Russell/Persson

I think Bouchard will step up and impress at training camp and will force the Oilers to keep him up (for better or for worse). Waive Benning and Manning.

Smith
Koskinen

Play the kids. The veterans are trash.

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
the problem I have with Persson is that he does not play in all situation. Some will not see that as a problem but I do. In nearly every game I saw him in last year, he was only being used as an offensive threat--for this team that is a good thing. But he never touched the ice when his team was short handed or when the face off was in his own zone. And his open ices passes gave me a heart attack
Persson is an offensive defenseman. If he can create offense like he has in Växjö we shouldn’t worry that he’s not a guy who’s out there short handed or in defensive situations. There’s five other dmen on the roster that can fill those roles.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
RNH - McDavid - Yamamoto
Benson - Draisaitl - Chiasson
Granlund - Marody - Gagner/Puljujarvi
Khaira/Nygard - Cave - Kassian

I'd rather gamble on Yamo, Benson, and Marody to produce than Lucic, Jurco, Brodziak. Press box Lucic and waive Jurco and Brodziak.

Klefbom - Larsson
Nurse - Bouchard
Lagesson - Russell/Persson

I think Bouchard will step up and impress at training camp and will force the Oilers to keep him up (for better or for worse). Waive Benning and Manning.

Smith
Koskinen

Play the kids. The veterans are trash.

Well Holland believes in development. If some of the young guys are ready that would be great news moving forward.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Persson is an offensive defenseman. If he can create offense like he has in Växjö we shouldn’t worry that he’s not a guy who’s out there short handed or in defensive situations. There’s five other dmen on the roster that can fill those roles.

He reminds me a lot of Marc Andre Bergeron. Things he got away with in the SLH he went get away with in the nhl

Inf4mous0ne

Jan 28, 2010
Hey everyone. Wondering what you guys think are the odds for Bouchard to stay up with the team this year? Looking at him for my fantasy keeper league. Hoping to nab someone who will play this year with potential. Thanks! :)

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Hey everyone. Wondering what you guys think are the odds for Bouchard to stay up with the team this year? Looking at him for my fantasy keeper league. Hoping to nab someone who will play this year with potential. Thanks! :)
I'd like to say low but I honestly don't know. There's a spot open on the bottom pairing. Don't think he'll get it but it's tough to say.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Unlikely to start the year in Edmonton.. could end up forcing his way at some point depending on how he plays in Bakersfield.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011

I could see them trying to keep him down so his ELC slides another year (Seattle expansion). Though I'm not sure if they can (he's probably going to be at least the 6th best defenseman in camp).

Not Canada Drai

♧ Lem
Jul 7, 2019
Edmonton

As a big fan of Bouchard I think that even if he doesn't make the team out of the gate he will be up at some point during the season. Sooner rather than later. I expect him to put up pretty big assist numbers to start out and once he starts to feel comfortable I think his goal scoring will rapidly rise.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
What I’d like to happen:

(2 trades, realistic in my opinion)
Trade1
To EDM: Gusev

To VGK: Yamamoto, 2020 3rd

Trade 2
To EDM: Namestikov (need a fellow countryman for Gusev)

To NYR: Gagner, 2021 3rd

Gusev-McDavid-Drai
Namestikov-Nuge-Chiasson
Nygard-Khaira-Granlund
Looch-Haas-Kassian

Klefbom-Larsson
Nurse-Russell
Jones/Persson/Benning

TopCheese

Mar 16, 2016
canada
What I’d like to happen:

Trade1

Trade 2

Gusev-McDavid-Drai
Namestikov-Nuge-Chiasson
Nygard-Khaira-Granlund
Looch-Haas-Kassian

Klefbom-Larsson
Nurse-Russell
Jones/Persson/Benning

Those trades would be huge for the oil. If the roster is left as is it will be a bottom feeder. When 7/8 wingers belong on the 4th line things aren’t going to end well

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Right now?

Draisaitl - McDavid - Kassian
Jurco - Nuge - Chiasson
Granlund - Haas - Gagner
Nygard - Khaira - Cave
Brodzaik, Lucic

Klefbom - Larsson
Nurse - Benning/Persson/Russell
Russell/Jones - Persson/Benning/Russell
Persson/Jones, Bear

Koskinen
Smith

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
It's way too in-flux to guess at IMO. We'll understand better if and when they sign this forward for the 2line that everyone seems to think they're going to continue to try on. If it's a RW or a LW, that changes a lot.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
It's way too in-flux to guess at IMO. We'll understand better if and when they sign this forward for the 2line that everyone seems to think they're going to continue to try on. If it's a RW or a LW, that changes a lot.
For sure, the only thing I would set in stone is Brodziak and Lucic in the PB.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
For sure, the only thing I would set in stone is Brodziak and Lucic in the PB.

I might want to do that, but I don't know if they would.

If Brodziak fails to make the team, I think I would bury him for cap savings instead of pressbox. He might be an useful vet for Bako and almost all of his deal would come off.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I might want to do that, but I don't know if they would.

If Brodziak fails to make the team, I think I would bury him for cap savings instead of pressbox. He might be an useful vet for Bako and almost all of his deal would come off.
Agreed with Brodziak, I'm saying for this point in the "season" he's PB fodder until otherwise send to Bakerfield.

Also it's all we can hope for, because Lucic seeing anything resembling regular starts (even on the 4th line) should be a signal that they've given up on the season.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site

Right now, I imagine the Oilers brass have him slotted as the 10th d-man, but options 6-10 are really close with 6 likely being Jones, 7 being Persson, 8 being Bear, 9 being Lagesson and 10 being Bouchard. Camp will likely move the list around a bit and they may even be considering giving Manning {ptooey} a shot at camp as well.

Bouchard may already be as good as the four above, but I think they want him to get big minutes down in the AHL especially early. However, I am certain he will play some games this year, but most likely 10 games or less.

Reactions: Inf4mous0ne

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
What I’d like to happen:

Trade1

Trade 2

Gusev-McDavid-Drai
Namestikov-Nuge-Chiasson
Nygard-Khaira-Granlund
Looch-Haas-Kassian

Klefbom-Larsson
Nurse-Russell
Jones/Persson/Benning

Easy no from the other teams

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
Right now?

Draisaitl - McDavid - Kassian
Jurco - Nuge - Chiasson
Granlund - Haas - Gagner
Nygard - Khaira - Cave
Brodzaik, Lucic

Klefbom - Larsson
Nurse - Benning/Persson/Russell
Russell/Jones - Persson/Benning/Russell
Persson/Jones, Bear

Koskinen
Smith
In all my years as an Oiler fan, that is the worst 2nd-4th line I've ever seen to start a season. Jurco on the 2nd line.. 2 Europeans with zero NHL experience in the bottom 6... good god.. Holland help.

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
He reminds me a lot of Marc Andre Bergeron. Things he got away with in the SLH he went get away with in the nhl

If Persson is anything close to Bergeron we are thrilled, guy had a cannon and was a legit threat on the pp. If Persson can show up and make the team as a number 7 we’re thrilled, let alone be a solid option on the second pp

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
I know I'll get roasted here but...Lucic is working with a skills coach and skating. It is in the best interest of the team to give him every opportunity to hit 50 points again. You see proposals for Ferland hoping he can add 40 points to the top 6, yet if Looch can get back to that it is a huge win all around. Also, Looch works best w/ a rightie on his line

Also, McDavid needs to start carrying 2 linemates like Crosby.
Drai has shown us in 3 separate occasions he can carry line

Jurco/Benson/Nygard-McD-RNH
Looch-Drai-Chaisson

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
In all my years as an Oiler fan, that is the worst 2nd-4th line I've ever seen to start a season. Jurco on the 2nd line.. 2 Europeans with zero NHL experience in the bottom 6... good god.. Holland help.

If it wasn’t for Mcdavid it’s possible this will be the worst forward group we have iced possibly ever. I mean after the glory days the team in the 90s, and early 2000s to degree, was know as a solid group of a hard working but less talented players, but not this less talented. We were told for years the hardest part was finding the star power, chased after the Heatleys, Hossa, Vanek in his prime. Now we have the star power in Mcdavid/Drai and literally nothing else outside of Hopkins. You put our bottom 9 in the AHL I truly believe that’s still not a playoff team there

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I know I'll get roasted here but...Lucic is working with a skills coach and skating. It is in the best interest of the team to give him every opportunity to hit 50 points again. You see proposals for Ferland hoping he can add 40 points to the top 6, yet if Looch can get back to that it is a huge win all around. Also, Looch works best w/ a rightie on his line

Also, McDavid needs to start carrying 2 linemates like Crosby.
Drai has shown us in 3 separate occasions he can carry line

Jurco/Benson/Nygard-McD-RNH
Looch-Drai-Chaisson

I am not sure about 50 pts but if Lucic could get to 15 goals and 25 assists that would be massive. It would be a major difference maker for this team.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
The Oilers should run with 11 forwards and 7 dmen all season long.

I said this last season as well... and it's even more so the case this season... there are too many duds amongst the forwards and the strength in the org is on D.

Forwards #4 thru #14 are essentially interchangeable... so pick any 8... add them to McD/Drai/RNH and then run 7 dmen each game.

That lets a player like Bouchard/Persson/Jones get some extra development time by being the #7 dman in games AND allows fresh bodies on the PP (what little PP time the team gets).

I have no idea why that wasn't done last season as well when they had ZERO production from over half of the forwards... no one would have missed them if 1 of those crappy forwards wasn't in the lineup and instead they had a 7th dman getting some NHL time and hopefully helping to generate some offense and getting some sheltered minutes of development at the NHL level.

Last edited:

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
If Persson is anything close to Bergeron we are thrilled, guy had a cannon and was a legit threat on the pp. If Persson can show up and make the team as a number 7 we’re thrilled, let alone be a solid option on the second pp

I think someone is forgetting the open ice passes and many defences lapses

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad