What do you think? ROR.

duffy9748

Nov 26, 2007
The Flyers are going to have to give Jake a significant raise next summer.
It just isn't feasible. As much as I would love to dump Grossmann.
trading the crap at forward like Vinny and Umberger is easier said that done.
This deal also goes against everything Hextall has said many times over.

EDIT: LOL@ that gif Beef put up

How? He always follow the statement about not dealing picks/prospects for older players by saying he would do it for a younger player if it made the team better moving forward. Adding O'Reilly does that.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I don't think the 'best' player issue is settled yet. Jones was pretty amazing in the playoffs and is making all three teams that passed on him look pretty stupid.

He hasn't made Colorado look stupid. MacKinnon has had the better career so far.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
So by 2016 that would be about 22 million in cap dollars for three forwards, can't swing that.

It will be tight, but you can. All this roster needs is a cheap backup goalie. I have bolded all the contracts it would require.

Giroux ~ 8.275
Voracek ~ 7.75
ROR ~ 6.5

Streit ~ 5.25
MacDonald ~ 5
Mason ~ 4.1
Couturier ~ 4
BSchenn ~ 4

Simonds ~ 3.975
Read ~ 3.625
MDZ ~ 3
Raffl ~ 3

Schultz ~ 2.25
Umberger buyout ~ 1.6
Lecavalier retained salary ~ 1.5

Rantanen/Crouse/Connor ~ 0.925
Gostisbehere ~ 0.925
Sanheim ~ 0.925
Morin ~ 0.894
Laughton ~ 0.863
Rinaldo ~ 0.85
Aube-Kubel ~ 0.734
Bellemare ~ 0.7125
TOTAL ~ 70.6535

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Problem is I think ROR will want 8+ on his next contract.

It's tough to say because there are stupid teams out there but I'm not sure if he gets over $8M. I really can't see him signing under $7M & I think somewhere around $7.5M is a safe number though.

Anybody who thinks he's giving a team a fair deal is foolish & hasn't paid any attention to his previous negotiations.

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
We won't have the cap space to resign him. And even if we did, the way he has handled his contract negotiations means hes going to want to be PAID. Hes willing to hold out to get what he wants when hes restricted, he would owe us no loyalty other then the 1 year his contact says he has to play. I wouldn't give up huge assets for a guy that has shown hes willing to walk away if he doesn't get his way.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Wait..wait....ROR is going to wait 8MM a year and hasn't scored more than 70 pts in a year?

I'm gonna pass.

BackWithaVengeance

Jan 19, 2008
Germany
It's tough to say because there are stupid teams out there but I'm not sure if he gets over $8M. I really can't see him signing under $7M & I think somewhere around $7.5M is a safe number though.

Anybody who thinks he's giving a team a fair deal is foolish & hasn't paid any attention to his previous negotiations.

:leafs ;)

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
I don't think the 'best' player issue is settled yet. Jones was pretty amazing in the playoffs and is making all three teams that passed on him look pretty stupid.

And how was MacKinnon last year in the playoffs? He had the 12th best 18 year old season in NHL history and the 3rd best since 1988 (Crosby and Skinner).

He took a step back this year but that is to be expected. I would have liked to see Stastny stay in Colorado and allowed the Avs to continue to roll the Landeskog, MacKinnon, Stastny line that was unbelievable last year when they played together.

I don't know all that much about advanced stats but I saw that MacKinnon had the highest QoC of any player in the NHL this year according to Behindthenet. Although their are a bunch of Avs towards the top of that list so their might be something flawed with it.

I don't know if i agree with this. 101 points in a 146 games is damn impressive for how young he is.

Seth Jones has 54 points in 159 games (obviously nowhere near Nate's but different positions) and he plays some REALLY sensational defense, especially towards the end of the year and playoffs.

They are both great players, just not sure if the difference is so big that they shouldn't have gone with need.

Can we at least agree he should have been chosen before Druin? haha

We can certainly go with Jones should have been taken before Drouin up to this point, at least. But going back to the draft and today I would still take MacKinnon over Jones. That isn't saying Jones isn't a very good player but I believe MacKinnon will be that top tier player. As an Avs fan it would be good to have someone like Jones back there with that cluster**** of a defensive corps but with Stastny and O'Reilly leaving their top six depth is disappearing and i'm glad to have MacK.

Jumping

Jun 17, 2010
Atlanta Ga
tumblr_mnbzr17o9C1qedb29o1_500.gif

No. Bad Prongo.

I don't know why but I find the nun thing very funny.

McNasty

Jan 20, 2007
Rutgers
Only way I can see ROR working out is if they convinced (drugged) the Avalanche to take MacDonald.

Jumping

Jun 17, 2010
Atlanta Ga
Only way I can see ROR working out is if they convinced (drugged) the Avalanche to take MacDonald.

How about Streit instead of Grossman. Take TB's #1 out put in Chicago #2.
And I agree, unless there was a deal in place for ROR I wouldn't touch this.

sharpeye97

Aug 8, 2013
It will be tight, but you can. All this roster needs is a cheap backup goalie. I have bolded all the contracts it would require.

Giroux ~ 8.275
Voracek ~ 7.75
ROR ~ 6.5

Streit ~ 5.25
MacDonald ~ 5
Mason ~ 4.1
Couturier ~ 4
BSchenn ~ 4

Simonds ~ 3.975
Read ~ 3.625
MDZ ~ 3
Raffl ~ 3

Schultz ~ 2.25
Umberger buyout ~ 1.6
Lecavalier retained salary ~ 1.5

Rantanen/Crouse/Connor ~ 0.925
Gostisbehere ~ 0.925
Sanheim ~ 0.925
Morin ~ 0.894
Laughton ~ 0.863
Rinaldo ~ 0.85
Aube-Kubel ~ 0.734
Bellemare ~ 0.7125
TOTAL ~ 70.6535

Sanheim and Aube-Kubel will slides because they'll be sent back to juniors.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I'm saying they would be on the team in 16-17, but you could swap in Leier and Hagg.

bauer

I MISS GHOST
Nov 11, 2007
Chicago spends more money on forwards than we do and they seem to be doing just fine.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Chicago spends money well. We, meanwhile, have an incredible amount of cap tied up in middling or bottom dmen.

They are set to have some issues with 18 million going to two players though. That's going to give them a hard time maintaining depth, unless they draft and scout their butts off.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
They are set to have some issues with 18 million going to two players though. That's going to give them a hard time maintaining depth, unless they draft and scout their butts off.

Yeah completely two different situations as well. Chicago's been in a win now mode for the last 3-4 years. It's easier to not worry as much about the to potential bumps down the road when you already have a Cup under your belt & still have a chance at another one.

The Flyers don't have a foundation laid down that would be considered high caliber to make those type of moves.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I pass on him...but see what he wants if he becomes a UFA.

Overpaying for a UFA is expected. I don't want to overpay AND give away assets to do so though.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Chicago spends money well. We, meanwhile, have an incredible amount of cap tied up in middling or bottom dmen.

It's actually $21 million for Kane and Toews.

http://www.generalfanager.com/teams/7

And they have only been able to manage so far thanks to two cap circumventing deals that will hopefully come back to bite them down the line.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad