What do you think of Trevor Timmins?

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
Grigo? Forsberg? Teravainen?

Those were three names tossed around before the draft that people speculated that Timmins wanted.

Galchenyuk wasn't as obvious of a third overall pick as say Jonathan Toews but his only question marks were how much of the season he played. Grig played the season but disappointed in the playoffs. Forsberg and Grig fell for that very reason (and that the top 10 drafted on needs aside from Edmonton).

Teravainen I don't know why he suddenly got hyped as a third overall pick. Pretty sure that was a false rumour.

Mr. Hab

Nov 17, 2004
Montreal
Galchenyuk...3rd overall:yo::yo::yo:
Price...5th overall:yo::yo:
PK Subban...2nd Rnd:yo::yo::yo:
McDonagh...mid First Rnd pick:yo:
Pacioretty...late 1st Rnd Pick:handclap::handclap:
Gallagher 5th Rnd Pick:yo::yo:
L.Leblanc:handclap: (I'm a believer)
J.Tinordi...moved up to get him in late 1st Rnd:yo:
Beaulieu:handclap:

TT would be perfect if he chose Parise or Phaneuf over Kostitsyn...but we can't all be perfect. (both Parise and Phaneuf were on my top 3 list...not kidding...didn't know that much about A.Kosts).

Last edited:

PricePkPatch*

TT would be perfect if he hadn't picked AK, right. But also the Fisher pick.

bigtimehockeyfan999*

Subban
McDonagh
Pacioretty
Gallagher
Galenchyuk
Price

You've got 5 stars/future stars in that group, most like at least 2 future superstars. Hard to argue results like that.

and that's not even inluding beaulieu, tinordi, collberg, ellis, thrower, hudon who have all shown promise....could be some very very solid nhl players in that mix

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
Timmins has done an excellent job and I hope he continues especially this year where he will be very busy in the first couple of rounds

Luigi Habs

Captain Saku
Jul 30, 2005
Montreal
He's got the numbers that prove he's very good at what he does but his picks in the 1st round have been very disappointing. Except the 2007 he's been below average in the 1st round.

Halifaxhab*

He's got the numbers that prove he's very good at what he does but his picks in the 1st round have been very disappointing. Except the 2007 he's been below average in the 1st round.

he alwas seems to look for the "home-run" types. But to be fair. the GM is the one with the final say.

I blame Gauthoer for all the horrible picks...back to Wickenhiser...yep...Gauthier's fault...all of it.

Can't wait to see Chicago fall:laugh:

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008

He hasn't been AS GOOD in the 1st round, but I wouldn't call it "below average" either.

He started in 2002 I believe...

Higgins(14)
Kostitsyn(10)
Chipchura(18)
Price(5)
Fischer(20)
McDonagh(12)
Pacioretty(22)
LeBlanc(18)
Tinordi(22)
Beaulieu(17)
Galchenyuk(3)

The only true "bust" was Fischer but lots of teams got little or nothing out of picks from 15-30.

Depending on Tinordi and Beaulieu and how good they became you'd have a pretty strong base of a team with some of those players.

I'd say it's average at least to maybe slightly above. 5 of those picks were in the 2nd half of the 1st rd including Pacioretty and Tinordi.

Halifaxhab*

He hasn't been AS GOOD in the 1st round, but I wouldn't call it "below average" either.

He started in 2002 I believe...

Higgins(14)
Kostitsyn(10)
Chipchura(18)
Price(5)
Fischer(20)
McDonagh(12)
Pacioretty(22)
LeBlanc(18)
Tinordi(22)
Beaulieu(17)
Galchenyuk(3)

The only true "bust" was Fischer but lots of teams got little or nothing out of picks from 15-30.

Depending on Tinordi and Beaulieu and how good they became you'd have a pretty strong base of a team with some of those players.

I'd say it's average at least to maybe slightly above. 5 of those picks were in the 2nd half of the 1st rd including Pacioretty and Tinordi.

his true value is what he got from the 2nd rd and on.

disturbedraven

Lets rock
Apr 11, 2005
Peterborough
www.fhockey.com

Higgins(14)
Kostitsyn(10)
Chipchura(18)
Price(5)
Fischer(20)
McDonagh(12)
Pacioretty(22)
LeBlanc(18)
Tinordi(22)
Beaulieu(17)
Galchenyuk(3)

How many 1st rounders in each draft end up panning out in the NHL? let alone play NHL games in general? Now, look at the list we have up here, how many of them played at least 1 NHL game? 8 of those 11 have played in the NHL, 2 of the 3 (Tin and Beau) are likely to make it. That leaves just Fischer. I'd say that his success rate of NHL players is pretty damn good when you consider a ton of 1st rounders never even play in the league, let alone have an impact.

Luigi Habs

Captain Saku
Jul 30, 2005
Montreal
His first pick was 2003's

Let's see how Beaulieu and Tinordi turns out, he may end up having a very good 1st round record if both become legit top 4 defensemen.

There is no doubt Fischer was his worst pick, and if Leblanc doesn't turn his career around he might be the 2nd worse on the list, followed by the disappointing Chipchura who found a spot in the NHL as a 4th line center in Phoenix.

Kostytsin's isn't a bad pick per se, but if you take into consideration the players that were picked after him, then yeah it's a bad one.

Joe Cole

Jun 17, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Fischer is an easy target, but we must remember it was the first year NCAA players were available at that age, so the evaluation of those prospects playing against that competition still needed to be gauged versus the CHL, where the level of play is more a known factor.

Halifaxhab*

His first pick was 2003's

Let's see how Beaulieu and Tinordi turns out, he may end up having a very good 1st round record if both become legit top 4 defensemen.

There is no doubt Fischer was his worst pick, and if Leblanc doesn't turn his career around he might be the 2nd worse on the list, followed by the disappointing Chipchura who found a spot in the NHL as a 4th line center in Phoenix.

Kostytsin's isn't a bad pick per se, but if you take into consideration the players that were picked after him, then yeah it's a bad one.

I have no problem with the AK pick because he looked good at the draft. But Fisher? I was screaming for the Habs to pick Giroux.:shakehead

Who was picked right before Fisher? Mitera.

How many games did Mitera play in the NHL? Yup, same as Fisher. ZERO.

That is why I was and am, never a fan of picking kids from HS leagues. Too few games, and not enough real competition.

As for the '06 draft, you (and many others) wanted Giroux; I wanted Berglund. Mabe he didn't pan out so far as Giroux has, but we really needed size up the middle then (sounds familiar huh) and Berglund had it in spades and would have made an excellent 2nd line centre here.

Tabarouette

ben kin
Jan 28, 2013
mtl
TT seems to have a lot of fans around here...
yes he made some great moves, but some of his moves are just...

A.Kostistyn over Carter, dustin Brown, Zach Parise, Ryan Getzlaf, Ryan kesler, Corey Perry...

Chipchura over Zajac, Wolski, Meszaros, MIKE GREEN

David Fischer :cry: over Claude Giroux, Berglund, Foligno

and those players we're all in the first round!

and we don't know much about them now, but I have absolutely no faith in Tinordi and Kristo

PricePkPatch*

A.Kostistyn over Carter, dustin Brown, Zach Parise, Ryan Getzlaf, Ryan kesler, Corey Perry...

and we don't know much about them now, but I have absolutely no faith in Tinordi and Kristo

Wait. I understand doubts about Kristo, he's been doing rather erratically at times. But you have no faith in TINORDI?!

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
It's fun to go back and read old threads from the 2006 draft. I would say most of the posters here wanted us to pick Sanguinetti. Chris Summers was a big favorite, as was Chris Stewart. Then a few votes for Berglund, Giroux and Yuri Alexandrov.

disturbedraven

Lets rock
Apr 11, 2005
Peterborough
www.fhockey.com

Isn't hindsight great? I mean had we known then what we know now, we'd be perennial cup winners :shakehead:sarcasm:

Tabarouette

ben kin
Jan 28, 2013
mtl
Wait. I understand doubts about Kristo, he's been doing rather erratically at times. But you have no faith in TINORDI?!

for a couple of reasons :

1-not impressed with what i've seen watching 2-3 knights game during the lockout, maybe those we're just bad games

2-the post-draft interview he gave to RDS made me sick, he looked incredibly... well he looked dumb and kinda "slow" :laugh:...

3-i'm always worried about giants, they're often overated because they look pretty good in a "non-NHL speed" game, but once they hit the NHL, its not the same

maybe i'm wrong, I hope he can prove me wrong and i'll be cheering for him if he does, but right now, nope

Isn't hindsight great? I mean had we known then what we know now, we'd be perennial cup winners :shakehead:sarcasm:

haha I know, but that's is full time job! no excuses :)

DJ Breadman

Jan 18, 2011
Newfoundland
I think he has done a nice job, he is certainly no god though, before he came in we had a prob with size and depth at center and 10 years later we still do, he got gally but that's a no brainer with the #3 overall pick other then that he has not found any gems at center

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad