What do you think of Leafs TV?

horner

May 22, 2007
Its get to watch all the interviews at the prospect camp lol.
Here's an idea what about watching the prospects going through there drills.

Just a ****in thought

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
I'll never forget the first time I heard about Leafs TV. Chuck Swarsky was interviewing some PR guy for Leafs TV during a Raptors game. near the end of the interview Chuck asks the guy, "and how many games do we get on Leafs TV." the guy answers, NONE. Well I broke out laughing because I could just picture Chucks facial expression during that second of awkward silence. Lmao.

Oh and it hasn't gotten any better, it's still a waste of time and money.

McMatthews

Sep 12, 2007
Tell us, how did you feel when your father was obliterated by a hit and appeared to have suffered a concussion?

kenny-bania-the-fatigues-seinfeld.jpg

jjjshab

Jul 7, 2015
You guys are blowing the question way out of proportion. Firstly, he (Henny) prefaces it with "Your Dad was as tough a customer as there was..." and doesn't ask Kasperi how he FELT about the hit, but rather what he remembers from it (as he was very young and may not have recalled it or even seen it in the first place). Which would have led to the obvious follow up from the interviewer continuing to compliment Sami on being tough and having the determination to will himself up to the bench (so that JR could score).

Unfortunately for Henny, Kasperi was so articulate in his answer that it kind of negated any follow up commentary.

At worst, it was a sensitive question asked by a reporter known for being positive and upbeat, despite having very little to be positive and upbeat about in LeafNation over the years.

- an obvious Henny fan.

On topic, LeafsTV as a channel is quite poor in its content. When they eventually obtained the rights to broadcast live games, it felt much like a moneygrab as a consumer because you needed to either buy LeafsTV or buy a cable package that included LeafsTV in order to watch those Leafs games. Now that they've lost the rights to broadcast games however, it's almost worse. The channel rarely has any actual content regarding the current Leafs that cannot be found on mapleleafs.com (pre- and post-game interviews, etc).

If they were somehow able to get the rights to simultaneously broadcast either Leafs and/or Marlies games, it would be a decent channel to watch. However, I don't foresee any network sharing those rights.

I enjoy the throwback games though (90s- early 00s replays).

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
It's been on the air for over a decade and I've subscribed to it, on and off, since it's introduction.

What do you think of Leafs TV, in terms of the content and delivery?

A) Excellent
B) Good
C) OK
D) Bad
E) Terrible

I used to like it, especially for the Marlies games, but since the Rogers deal it has pretty much sucked.

Morguee

Jan 22, 2010
Finally cancelled it this year.
No Leaf Games.
Behind the draft was delayed forever and then the program was gutted.
Few Marlies games and almost always on delay.
Little camp coverage.
Interviews could be seen on internet for free.
No value added content.

What the hell was I paying for?

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
No one has ever been able to give me a logical explanation as to why they only show like 2 live marlies games a year, to me this is inexcusable.

Steve

Mar 6, 2002
I voted bad.

More Marlies games, and that'll improve.

I would agree with this.

Also, maybe they could show actual hockey "stuff" not old games and interviews. This could be a 24/7 type or have people mic'd, show rookie practices and behind the scenes stuff.

leafs nation27*

Leaf T.V was good when it had Leaf Games on and Joe Bowen broadcasting the games , now its bad because there is nothing good to watch on it.

Stand Witness

JT
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2014
London, ON
The channel should be axed now that they will never get games again (thank god). Split the good programming with TSN4 (TO channel) and SNO. Keep the good personalities for the two channels.

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
I recommend you all cancel Leafs TV now, or at least don't watch it. What tripe.

Thissiteisgarbage

Oct 14, 2014
Needs to show the Marlies home games as a bare minimum.

Call-in show would be good. I think they tried that briefly at the very beginning, but dumped it. Sunday morning "Reporters" panel show with all Leafs agenda...

Simple little 5 minute videos of Leaf greats of the past - nice voice over bits to help educate the younger fans, etc.

A Toronto Toros/WHA documentary, a Harold Ballard documentary, Sittler's 10 point documentary, a Pat Burns documentary, etc. etc.

Sure, all those ideas cost money but not much in broadcast terms. It's a great propaganda piece to exploit and they do such a dismal job at it. Boggles the mind.

p.l.f.

use the force
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, CANADA
It should be better than the low budget look it has
They lost all leaf games and only offer repeats of leaf games and loops of 1 half hr pregame shows

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
This station has such potential. I really enjoyed their post-game shows. But the rest is gawdawful programming. If our board can come up with some great ideas, why can't the programmers of the station. More Marlie games, better personalities, relevant classic games (how about those Philly-Leaf games in the late 70's), etc. And please, get rid of Bob McGill as the colour guy of Marlie games.

Crysis

Jun 28, 2015
Leafs TV? I'm still pissed off they took away the $49.99/year streaming package from the official leafs website. Now THAT was a great service.

As soon as Rogers and Bell bought the team it was removed, surprise, surprise...

soulie

Jan 9, 2008
First I'd keep everything about Leafs TV low budget. There is no chance Leafs TV will ever have the budget the big boys like TSN / Sportsnet will. Here's what I would do to improve Leafs TV.

LEAFS / NHL

Get shared TV rights back for the NHL squad, even if they need to put the caveat that all advertising will be taken from the host network.

NHL game day skate shown on TV. No need for commentators. Display scores from last nights hockey, plus other relevant hockey news. Think something like the score with a main tv section and a bottom scroller, and side scroller.

Leafs: Game in an hour.

All post game press conferences / media highlights.

Leafs 24/7. Similar to 24CH for the Habs. In typical low budget shoot it for the previous week, edit it, and bang it in a 2hr show.

MARLIES

Develop a Marlies footprint. Start small around 20 live games + all playoffs. No need for a pre-game / post-game show.

Marlies: Game in an hour.

AHL Marlie week in a flash. 30 minute highlight package of Marlies results from the past week.

OTHER

Work out a deal to get NHL on the Fly on non-Marlie non-Leaf nights.

Old game of the week. Not quite sure how to improve this one.

Round Table Roundup. Weekly round table show, grab 4 guys around a table and talk about the Leafs / Marlies / NHL events from the past week.

Late Night Leafs. TV / radio call in show Mon-Sat (2hrs).

Steve Dangle with friends, weekly 1 hour show.

Behind the draft. Better coverage more insights. No need to giveaway secrets but you could make the draft even more interesting from a leaf fan perspective by sticking with the Leaf table eavesdropping on NHL banter.

NHL Combine. Get those Leaf cameras in there.

Leaf Prospect Camp. Similar to the Game Day Skate, set up a triple box video stream and show what the prospects are up to. No need to have commentators.

Rookie tournament. Complete games on TV.

Training Camp. Show all training camp games on TV.

Of course all of this is pie in the sky, because if Leafs TV ever actually did get popular, you bet your ass Bell Media / Rogers will shut it down as it may cannibalize ratings from their own networks.

tmlms13

Apr 11, 2012
Waterloo, Ontario
All they need is some more live coverage of various Leafs related events, Marlies, CHL with our top prospects. Talk shows that feature opinions rather than just telling you what happened. Daily call in shows for fans, most callers are really stupid but its entertaining and lets people vent.

RoyalGremlin

The future is now.
Jun 19, 2007
If there was an "I die a little bit inside every time I watch" option, I would have voted that.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
It looks like something made in someone's basement. For such a massive company, and a fairly expensive channel, it's nothing short of awful. Listening to the hosts/commentators pre and post-game made me wanna bash my head on the table.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
Marlies games don't get enough viewers to justify putting up big productions.

RogersTV put up about 20 games last year? My guess is that the viewership was around 5,000-8,000. And that's on the high end of things.

The problem that Leafs TV faces is that they can't show any live games and they don't broadcast outside of the GTA (on some packages).

I really liked their behind the Draft videos. I love hearing what teams were saying at the draft table. TheLeaf has started to do some of those things, and their Youtube channel could improve... But they've really started to pump out videos from the prospect camp and it's nice to hear from the prospects. Henny does a good job.

Not to much other original content and there's a lot of sub-par shows.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Marlies games don't get enough viewers to justify putting up big productions.

RogersTV put up about 20 games last year? My guess is that the viewership was around 5,000-8,000. And that's on the high end of things.

The problem that Leafs TV faces is that they can't show any live games and they don't broadcast outside of the GTA (on some packages).

I really liked their behind the Draft videos. I love hearing what teams were saying at the draft table. TheLeaf has started to do some of those things, and their Youtube channel could improve... But they've really started to pump out videos from the prospect camp and it's nice to hear from the prospects. Henny does a good job.

Not to much other original content and there's a lot of sub-par shows.

The issue is that most of the country isnt able to subscribe to Rogers TV. I would dearly love Marlies games. I dont care if they make some intern periscope games, at least give me something.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
It's all I watch.

10/10 game play.

I also think NHL 15 was 10/10

David Clarkson was 10/10 as a Leaf

etc etc

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad