What do you think about signing Dylan DeMelo RD......

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
How many more depth D-men do you need? Kings already have Doughty, Muzzin, Martinez, Forbort, and Phaneuf as a top five. I would argue that adding Ladue would make one of the deepest and most talented top six in the league. Then you have Fantenberg, MacDermid, and Brickley all fighting for one #7 spot.

You've listed 7 left-handed d-men and only 2 RHD and only one of the RHD is a roster lock.

I'm not saying at all that we need more of the same, only that depth diversity is good. I like LaDue more than most and I think he should be there too. But I'm also pretty sick of handicapping Martinez by playing him on his wrong side for what will be four years going now and having little to no flexibility because of that especially in situations like Game 2 of the playoffs.

Reactions: Rekingsfan17

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
How many more depth D-men do you need? Kings already have Doughty, Muzzin, Martinez, Forbort, and Phaneuf as a top five. I would argue that adding Ladue would make one of the deepest and most talented top six in the league. Then you have Fantenberg, MacDermid, and Brickley all fighting for one #7 spot.
Positions 1, 4, 5, 6 and 7 are well cemented. Positions 2 and 3? Not so much. We could move our 4 to 2 (Muzzin) but then our 2nd pair would be really bad.

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
Positions 1, 4, 5, 6 and 7 are well cemented. Positions 2 and 3? Not so much. We could move our 4 to 2 (Muzzin) but then our 2nd pair would be really bad.
How do you figure?

Forbort Doughty
Muzzin LaDue
Phaneuf Martinez

Works for me. I don’t see how anyone can complain if Phaneuf and Martinez is your third pairing.

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
Forbort is not a #2 and we don't have a true #3 RH PMD. That's why Doughty had to play so much against Vegas and when he got suspended, I feel we auto-lost that game (we got shut out I believe?)

A big reason for the ineffectiveness of our 2nd line was due to a weak 2nd pairing, which is why Martinez had to play so much.

In the Vegas series, our second best defenseman was Martinez, our 3rd pairing guy.

Reactions: Rekingsfan17

2-4 Slashin

Tony Granato Fan!
Jul 25, 2005
South Pasadena
I'd still like him and wouldn't blame him for being overmatched by being played as a #3 defenseman and saddled with the anchor known as Kevin Gravel until reinforcements arrived. That's like being mad at Derek Armstrong rather than the team for making him a "2C."

Is anyone really under any delusion that Folin is a Matt Greene type, ideal bottom pairing guy? Cheap, reliable, physical, can play up if absolutely needed? Orgs need depth d-men too.

This! I heartily agree. Reliable veteran depth Dmen are nothing to sneeze at!

And yes to the comment that we are glutted at LHD. What we need is another natural RHD and not Martinez capably handling his adopted position. Watch Martinez have his best year yet at his natural position if we get a natural RHD as his pairing pairing partner. Folin anyone?

Last edited:
Reactions: Shellz

2-4 Slashin

Tony Granato Fan!
Jul 25, 2005
South Pasadena
You've listed 7 left-handed d-men and only 2 RHD and only one of the RHD is a roster lock.

I'm not saying at all that we need more of the same, only that depth diversity is good. I like LaDue more than most and I think he should be there too. But I'm also pretty sick of handicapping Martinez by playing him on his wrong side for what will be four years going now and having little to no flexibility because of that especially in situations like Game 2 of the playoffs.

Imagine the quality D we’d get out of the man whom many consider to be the best 3rd pairing Dman in the league if we let Martinez play his natural position. He’s been handicapped for the last 3+ years and he still plays a consistent game for us.

I don’t think it will happen but I would honestly like to see the man retire as a LA King. He’s earned my respect!

Reactions: lumbergh

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown

41jLqe5GijL.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad