What do you think about signing Dylan DeMelo RD......

Rekingsfan17

Aug 23, 2017

What do you guys think aboot signing Dylan DeMelo RD as a free agent? 6"1", 195 lbs., 25 years old and had 14 mins TOI with the Sharks last year. Might be another good option in addition to LaDue on Right D. I think Austin Strand needs a year or two in Ontario.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I thought about it the minute the dumped him, but I imagine he's looking for a bigger role. Good depth though if he's willing and if he'd be AHL cheap!

Reactions: Rekingsfan17

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
To me, he was actually one of the more interesting names of players who didn't get a QO. I think the Sharks are looking to make room for Tim Heed to be in their top 6 next year.

Dunno how he was this past season. Probably need a few Sharks fans to chime in who saw DD regularly.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
To me, he was actually one of the more interesting names of players who didn't get a QO. I think the Sharks are looking to make room for Tim Heed to be in their top 6 next year.

Dunno how he was this past season. Probably need a few Sharks fans to chime in who saw DD regularly.

I was a little surprised because it seemed like they really liked him, but not sure how much of that was DeMelo and how much was Paul Martin wasting everyone's oxygen.

@Clowe Me ? @Juxtaposer ? How did you guys like DeMelo?

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
I was a little surprised because it seemed like they really liked him, but not sure how much of that was DeMelo and how much was Paul Martin wasting everyone's oxygen.

He's a safe player that isn't really good at anything. Handles the puck like a grenade and can't make a decent break out pass to save his life. He drags down the overall play of his partner (s) (was usually Dillon, who had MUCH better numbers with Tim Heed but DeBoer didn't seem to care), and he has a muffin of a shot. If you really need a 3rd pairing/7th dman, look from within or find another option in fa because you'll get irritated with Demelo sooner than later.

Fast forward towards the end to the ot winner for a good laugh.

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
What for? Kings already have LaDue.

I'm for giving LaDue a legit shot because he actually has a knack for creating some offense, despite his sometimes being over-matched in his own zone. The main obstacle with this is Stevens. It's very clear, at least to date, that Stevens does not trust him defensively. Until that changes, I suspect Blake is still in the market to improve the team.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
What for? Kings already have LaDue.

Even with LaDue, that's just LaDue and Doughty if Folin isn't coming back. I'm not saying go out of our way to get someone that doesn't fit, but we've been playing people on their off sides since Voynov left. And if either LaDue or Doughty doesn't get hurt, or worse, if LaDue can't hack it, we're right back at square one. I think it's fair to wonder aloud what the RHD situation is.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area

He’s a passable #6 on a bubble team. A guy who does everything okay but nothing particularly above average. Decent skater, doesn’t get pushed around too much, not too nightmare-ish defensively, a passing semblance of an offensive game. You get the picture. The problem is that the vast majority of the points he scored this past year came in like the last month, in which he saw a corresponding implosion of his defense.

I was actually pretty high on him in 2016. He was playing really well with Dillon, and I was starting to think that he was going to be the next Sharks iteration of Demers/Braun (a late-round RHD pick who blooms into his mid-late 20’s), when suddenly the Sharks traded for Polak, who was absolutely atrocious and was one of the biggest reasons that the Sharks failed so badly in the finals against Pittsburgh. The following off-season, the Sharks got Schlemko. The Schlemko-Dillon pairing was awesome, until the Sharks stupidly let Vegas take Schlemko, but it left DeMelo on the bench pretty much all season, which I can’t imagine helped his development. This season, he and Tim Heed were fighting for the #6 spot. At first, it looked like Heed had it locked down, but suddenly DeMelo got inserted and just never came out, despite the fact that Heed was clearly superior. He wasn’t Polak bad, but he turned out third pairing from a strength (Dillon-Heed) to a weakness (Dillon-DeMelo), which you cannot have when your team strength is supposedly depth, as the 2017-2018 Sharks’ strength purportedly was.

I think the biggest fear I would have if my team signed DeMelo would be the fact that he seems to be a coach’s pet. Roy Sommer loved him in the AHL despite the fact that he was their #4D on a weak D corps. DeBoer loved him, as evidenced by the fact that DeMelo being DeBoer’s son has been memefied on our board. DeMelo is basically the anti-Burns/Gardiner type: he is consistently bad, but he doesn’t make many highlight-reel bad plays. That isn’t to say that he’s good defensively, just that he doesn’t make the type of egregious error that has you screaming at your TV like Burns does because DeMelo is a very passive, defensive player and doesn’t take offensive risks.

We’re all very shocked that Wilson let him go. A lot of us think this is a case of a GM removing a bad player that the coach just won’t stop playing; Wilson did this with Adam Burish too, whom Todd McLellan loved.

So in a nutshell: passable #6D who does everything at a below average level but is appealing to coaches due to his lack of high-profile mistakes. We are absolutely thrilled to see DeMelo go, not because he’s the worst player on the planet, but because we have a better option in Heed and DeBoer loved DeMelo to the point where he was the sixth man when we pulled the goalie in playoff games. Seriously. I’m not kidding. It was horrible.

(Sorry for the essay, that’s probably more than you wanted to know :laugh:)

Rekingsfan17

Aug 23, 2017
Thank you for your insight. I really enjoyed reading that ☺...

So who else might be a good fit...?

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
He's a safe player that isn't really good at anything. Handles the puck like a grenade and can't make a decent break out pass to save his life. He drags down the overall play of his partner (s) (was usually Dillon, who had MUCH better numbers with Tim Heed but DeBoer didn't seem to care), and he has a muffin of a shot. If you really need a 3rd pairing/7th dman, look from within or find another option in fa because you'll get irritated with Demelo sooner than later.

Fast forward towards the end to the ot winner for a good laugh.

He’s a passable #6 on a bubble team. A guy who does everything okay but nothing particularly above average. Decent skater, doesn’t get pushed around too much, not too nightmare-ish defensively, a passing semblance of an offensive game. You get the picture. The problem is that the vast majority of the points he scored this past year came in like the last month, in which he saw a corresponding implosion of his defense.

I was actually pretty high on him in 2016. He was playing really well with Dillon, and I was starting to think that he was going to be the next Sharks iteration of Demers/Braun (a late-round RHD pick who blooms into his mid-late 20’s), when suddenly the Sharks traded for Polak, who was absolutely atrocious and was one of the biggest reasons that the Sharks failed so badly in the finals against Pittsburgh. The following off-season, the Sharks got Schlemko. The Schlemko-Dillon pairing was awesome, until the Sharks stupidly let Vegas take Schlemko, but it left DeMelo on the bench pretty much all season, which I can’t imagine helped his development. This season, he and Tim Heed were fighting for the #6 spot. At first, it looked like Heed had it locked down, but suddenly DeMelo got inserted and just never came out, despite the fact that Heed was clearly superior. He wasn’t Polak bad, but he turned out third pairing from a strength (Dillon-Heed) to a weakness (Dillon-DeMelo), which you cannot have when your team strength is supposedly depth, as the 2017-2018 Sharks’ strength purportedly was.

I think the biggest fear I would have if my team signed DeMelo would be the fact that he seems to be a coach’s pet. Roy Sommer loved him in the AHL despite the fact that he was their #4D on a weak D corps. DeBoer loved him, as evidenced by the fact that DeMelo being DeBoer’s son has been memefied on our board. DeMelo is basically the anti-Burns/Gardiner type: he is consistently bad, but he doesn’t make many highlight-reel bad plays. That isn’t to say that he’s good defensively, just that he doesn’t make the type of egregious error that has you screaming at your TV like Burns does because DeMelo is a very passive, defensive player and doesn’t take offensive risks.

We’re all very shocked that Wilson let him go. A lot of us think this is a case of a GM removing a bad player that the coach just won’t stop playing; Wilson did this with Adam Burish too, whom Todd McLellan loved.

So in a nutshell: passable #6D who does everything at a below average level but is appealing to coaches due to his lack of high-profile mistakes. We are absolutely thrilled to see DeMelo go, not because he’s the worst player on the planet, but because we have a better option in Heed and DeBoer loved DeMelo to the point where he was the sixth man when we pulled the goalie in playoff games. Seriously. I’m not kidding. It was horrible.

(Sorry for the essay, that’s probably more than you wanted to know :laugh:)

No, that was pretty perfect :laugh: Thank you both.

I must have rosy memories of his first callup.

Rekingsfan17

Aug 23, 2017
If rather have Folin back, he’s serviceable can shoot in net and will stand up our guys. I personally liked him as #6 Dman much more than I liked Fantenberg. He’s better than DeMelo in my opinion.
Yeah I liked Folin too but I thought he was gone. Have the Kings shown an interest in bringing him back? I guess we will see what happens July 1st.......(?)

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
If rather have Folin back, he’s serviceable can shoot in net and will stand up our guys. I personally liked him as #6 Dman much more than I liked Fantenberg. He’s better than DeMelo in my opinion.

He's definitely better, but he's all but officially gone, in search of a multi-year deal.

Reactions: Rekingsfan17

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Thanks sharks fans. I've read their boards a lot enough to know they want Demelo off this planet.

No for me.

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
How much would you like Folin if I told you that he was a collective -4 during the four game sweep by Vegas and was on the ice for every first goal by Vegas? He looked completely overmatched. Not to take us off topic, but you’re really comparing two #6/7 defenseman. Fringe NHL players that just take up space and time. Kingas already have one of the best, deepest defensemen group, and that’s not counting Voynov. No need to bring on dead weight.

2-4 Slashin

Tony Granato Fan!
Jul 25, 2005
South Pasadena
I’m curious what the teams whole +/- was during that playoff run. Like many on board here I look at the +/- with a grain of salt. I’m no Frolin apologist but De Melo is not the answer and I was only posting my answer to the context of the OP. In that respect I’d truthfully prefer Frolin over DeMelo 10 out of 10 times. Of course I think a Frolin has upside and the whole team seemed a second behind Vegas’ 4 line roll. Just my 2 cents worth.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
How much would you like Folin if I told you that he was a collective -4 during the four game sweep by Vegas and was on the ice for every first goal by Vegas? He looked completely overmatched. Not to take us off topic, but you’re really comparing two #6/7 defenseman. Fringe NHL players that just take up space and time. Kingas already have one of the best, deepest defensemen group, and that’s not counting Voynov. No need to bring on dead weight.

I'd still like him and wouldn't blame him for being overmatched by being played as a #3 defenseman and saddled with the anchor known as Kevin Gravel until reinforcements arrived. That's like being mad at Derek Armstrong rather than the team for making him a "2C."

Is anyone really under any delusion that Folin is a Matt Greene type, ideal bottom pairing guy? Cheap, reliable, physical, can play up if absolutely needed? Orgs need depth d-men too.

Reactions: 2-4 Slashin

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
I'd still like him and wouldn't blame him for being overmatched by being played as a #3 defenseman and saddled with the anchor known as Kevin Gravel until reinforcements arrived. That's like being mad at Derek Armstrong rather than the team for making him a "2C."

Is anyone really under any delusion that Folin is a Matt Greene type, ideal bottom pairing guy? Cheap, reliable, physical, can play up if absolutely needed? Orgs need depth d-men too.
How many more depth D-men do you need? Kings already have Doughty, Muzzin, Martinez, Forbort, and Phaneuf as a top five. I would argue that adding Ladue would make one of the deepest and most talented top six in the league. Then you have Fantenberg, MacDermid, and Brickley all fighting for one #7 spot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad