What do you drink during games?

JLHockeyKnight

IMA Real American
Apr 19, 2006
North Central Jersey
I actually had a Snickers Marathon bar before my last game and by the end of the game I had the most energy on the team. I wasn't even tired and then they stuck me out on a 5 minute shift (was our last game of the season, we got beaten pretty badly and one of our guys took a 5 minute major and was thrown out for pulling a Zidane), then after that I was a little tired, lol.

Usually I'm pretty shot by the middle of the 2nd. Also I had played Open Hockey a couple days before, so that may have helped too instead of having like a week layoff.

I changed 3 things before my last game through.
1. I ate the power bar,
2. I actually stretched which I usually never do,
3. I started drinking Gatorade again which I hadn't done in a long time.

Gatorade can work. I prefer to save $1.50 per game when water works just as well. :D

Stretching is really important. Not only does it loosen up your muscles to allow you to bend more and move better in the game, while preventing injury, but it loosens up the blood vessels, allowing for more blood flow, increasing energy (energy can get to your cells faster). Actually a tip if you're falling asleep in school or work, rub your each jugular for 15 seconds or so, then do the same for the inside of your wrist. After a minute or 2 some people, including myself, can get an energy boost.

Believe it or not, I actually feel better after open hockey season, and I'm more into the game in terms of control, etc. I'm also more awake. I find if I take a week off without playing, my body hurts like hell until I play again.

JLHockeyKnight

IMA Real American
Apr 19, 2006
North Central Jersey
Red Bulls before the game. The amount depends on how serious the game is. IT WORKS IN MY MIND SO LEAVE ME ALONE!

No really it does I won two big championships with the same team the 2 years I was on it and we always had 2 cases of red bull in the locker room before every game. IT WORKS I TELL YA!

On the bench I have water only.

After the game its either water and or gatorade.

BTW before when I posted I never was dissing Red Bull. I have lots of friends who drink it. Any of this stuff is anyone's choice, and whatever works and keeps you playing well, do it. Some people need more water than others, which is why I'm sure red bull works for some but doesn't for others. I was just pulling out the science approach toward the question, and in the answer for my own hydration during play.

Doctor Hook

Mar 11, 2006
Boston
I never drink alcohol before a game. After the game, whole different story.

But I try to drink a lot of water everyday, and before the game I chug about half a water bottle of water before getting dressed, fill it up, and usually by end of game the water bottle is empty.

A few cold brewskis with the boys afterwards and maybe a chocolate milk nightcap when I get home.

frito

Jan 27, 2007
Cincinnati
It depends when i had my last meal and what else I've done that day. if the game is too close to game time for me to eat a full meal I'll have a protein bar and Gatoriade on the way to the rink. I always take a large ater bottle with me on the bench. Lately I haven't been drinking as much of it as I normally do, could be why I'm petering out faster.

I have a beer (Porter, Stout or Ale, no pilsners or lagers) when I get home to help unwind.

nni

Dec 29, 2005
during games cytomax, best option i have found. you guys put a lot of crap in your bodies ;)

RangerSteve

I cut some 2 lines of yay then sniff it off the top of the boards...JK!!!:eek:

I have a little bit of gatorade before I leave my house, but during a game I'll only drink water. To me everything else seems to slow me down and I get cramped up during a game. The one thing I'll definitely stay away from is Red Bull. For whatever reason I seem to crash half way through because of it.

nni

Dec 29, 2005
a 7% carb solution is ideal, and not HFCS like gatorade. this will not lead to cramps or slow you down.

Staalwart

Feb 24, 2004
Power Bar and a full bottle of water before the game. Vitamin water or gatorade during and after. I prefer vitamin water to gatorade cause its better for you and its not as heavy or sweet, but drinking gatorade doesn't bother me any.

McNasty

Jan 20, 2007
Rutgers
What actually works really well for me is I buy a gatorade, drink about 1/3 or 1/2 of it before the game and then go to a water fountain and fill the rest of the bottle with water. Non-dilluted gatorade makes my stomach hurt when i drink it between shifts.

As for food, I can eat really anything, as long as it isn't too salty.

MacBeatsPang

Oct 25, 2006
First, I try to eat my last meal before a game no sooner than 3 hours before gametime.

If I have a really late game and I was up early for work that morning I'll often have a coffee and some sport jelly beans (they're kinda like solid gatorade) on the car ride to the rink. If the game's not so late it's water with the beans instead of coffee. Then lots of gatorade throughout the game.

I read somewhere that Marty Brodeur drinks a can of sprite before each period. Interesting...

slapsht25

Aug 3, 2005
I eat chicken and pasta 3 hrs before the game water during and beer and pepsi after

lotus

Jul 22, 2006
New York
before the game I usually down a bottle of water. If it's a night game I drink a red bull while im driving to the rink, which means i have it about 30 minutes before. And then water and thats it on the bench.

Outdoor roller hockey games, if it's in the sun I have Gatoraid. Night, just water again.

Just something I've always done. Except the redbull, i brought that into play when a game went past 12:30AM and ended a little after 1:30AM. Was falling asleep on the bench.(The reffs sucked and couldnt figure out penalties)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad