What do you drink during games?

Whiplash27

Quattro!!
Jan 25, 2007
Westchester, NY
What does everyone drink while they play (Water, Gatorade, Powerade, Vitamin Water)? Do you drink anything special before games?

I'm sure I will get some answers like, a couple shots of Tequila or a Beer, but let's keep this serious.

For me it depends what's in the house, sometimes I'll go with Gatorade and other times regular water. If I'm drinking Gatorade and have some left over that doesn't fit in my water bottle, I'll usually finish up the rest of the bottle before the game. Sometimes I'll drink some Gatorade during the day too.

PMP5030

Apr 25, 2004
RIGHT BEHIND YOU
A lot of Gatorade. Doesn't matter if it's a game, pickup, whatever. I should probably own stock at this point with the amount I go through.

However, it really seems to help. I seem to have more energy in the third when my teammates are slowing down (and I'm by no means the youngest).

#2eddieshore

May 29, 2005
i drink red bull before games and i really think it does work.

i also feel other hydratind drinks have a huge affect.

sc37

Jan 14, 2006
OH-IO
www.thescoreboards.com
Water before during and after. Sometimes Gatorade afterwards. I avoid Gatorade and stuff on the bench cause it gets kinda messy if you miss the squirt into your mouth and then you get all sticky and crap as well as multicolored if your wearing light colored jerseys.

TBLfan

Nov 25, 2005
Tampa, FL
tblfan.wordpress.com
gatorade during the day before the game, the only thing I'll drink 6 hours or less before a game. Then water before, during and after the game. The gatorade fills the body with minerals you will loose through sweat... When I played football I used to mix half water and gatorade, but it's also outdoors and very hot so I sweated a lot more.

Dawn77

Nov 16, 2006
Devils Suck, Fl
We buy a pitcher before the game and give some to everyone in the locker room and then it's water during, and more beer after with a water chaser. It seems to work.

South Florida Canuck

Biggest Canucks Superfan in South Florida
Jun 8, 2006
Jupiter, FL
Usually either Powerade or water. Of course I try to bring my own Powerade because they charge an arm and a leg for it at my local rink. I especially need a lot of it when we're short on players and I have to play longer shifts. The longer my shifts are, the more Powerade I need

JLHockeyKnight

IMA Real American
Apr 19, 2006
North Central Jersey
Alcohol and energy drinks (red bull) take water out of your system. The number one thing that controls your energy is water. I read somewhere that a simple 2% drop in hydration in your body could make you tired to where you wanna sleep.

I usually drink a Poland spring sized bottle of water, on top of eating a powerbar. It's a good thing to keep food in your stomach, and powerbars are good to give you a boost of energy. Plus for best results you're supposed to eat it a half an hour before the game with a bottle of water to help digestion.

Toonces

They should have kept Shjon Podein...
Feb 23, 2003
New Jersey
Water, I don't want anything sugary when I'm playing.

Beforehand, it depends. If I am playing a game for school I will drink nothing special. I find that when you've been drinking the night before and go to play pickup or something (usually in the afternoon) that the energy drinks actualy help, specifically in the re-hydration process.

name

Jan 28, 2003
Visit site
I drink a red bull before games, and then water during. I do have to say though, sometimes I'll grab a "water bottle" during the game and take a drink and it turns out to be Propel. I'm not sure who brings it, but I like it.

Whiplash27

Quattro!!
Jan 25, 2007
Westchester, NY
Alcohol and energy drinks (red bull) take water out of your system. The number one thing that controls your energy is water. I read somewhere that a simple 2% drop in hydration in your body could make you tired to where you wanna sleep.

I usually drink a Poland spring sized bottle of water, on top of eating a powerbar. It's a good thing to keep food in your stomach, and powerbars are good to give you a boost of energy. Plus for best results you're supposed to eat it a half an hour before the game with a bottle of water to help digestion.

I actually had a Snickers Marathon bar before my last game and by the end of the game I had the most energy on the team. I wasn't even tired and then they stuck me out on a 5 minute shift (was our last game of the season, we got beaten pretty badly and one of our guys took a 5 minute major and was thrown out for pulling a Zidane), then after that I was a little tired, lol.

Usually I'm pretty shot by the middle of the 2nd. Also I had played Open Hockey a couple days before, so that may have helped too instead of having like a week layoff.

I changed 3 things before my last game through.
1. I ate the power bar,
2. I actually stretched which I usually never do,
3. I started drinking Gatorade again which I hadn't done in a long time.

Granlund2Pulkkinen*

Pepto bismol and water like tanguay.

It gets me goin'
during I do water.

NJDevs430

Jun 9, 2002
Visit site
Water right before, and I keep a Gatorade on the bench...usually it's done before I am.
My pick-up games are late at night...ideally I'd like something that would give me a boost of energy for ninety minutes to an hour (depending upon how ambitious the zamboni drivers are feeling) and then something that will put me down for the night when I get home.
}:)>

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Water and gatorade during the day, red bull(or a monster) about 20 min before the game, and gatorade during the game.

Jul 31, 2005
CA
I drink a quarter bottle of Gatorade mixed with creatine when I'm driving to the rink. I'm in my mid 30's and work for a major delivery company so my legs are pretty much always recovering. The creatine seems to help me not get tired during games and I only take it once or twice a week so spare me the "you're kidneys are going to fall out" posts. I drink Smart Water during my games. I read in my hockey conditioning book that you are supposed to drink water during a game but if you are going to play a lot or have a long practice or pickup you should drink Gatorade. Will only drink an energy drink 2 hours before a game, too much sugar to drink right before. SoBe's Adrenaline Rush is the way to go if you can find it.

2x4*

Red Bulls before the game. The amount depends on how serious the game is. IT WORKS IN MY MIND SO LEAVE ME ALONE!

No really it does I won two big championships with the same team the 2 years I was on it and we always had 2 cases of red bull in the locker room before every game. IT WORKS I TELL YA!

On the bench I have water only.

After the game its either water and or gatorade.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->