What do we have in Yann Sauve

Status
Not open for further replies.

smileyface

Mar 7, 2007
Vancouver
I'm just excited to see young players like Sauve and Tanev come in, not get overwhelmed and actually contribute to the team. It bodes well for our D in the future.

Wetcoaster

I'm just excited to see young players like Sauve and Tanev come in, not get overwhelmed and actually contribute to the team. It bodes well for our D in the future.
Given that Sauve missed basically the first half of his rookie pro year due the the MVA concussion suffered pre-training camp, he has been quite remarkable. Claude Noel and the Moose coaching staff are doing an excellent job.

Here is his NHL scouting report for the 2008 NHL Entry Draft:

And a 2009 profile from canucks.com:

Robert604strom

May 31, 2010
Victoria
Ive always been fond of him,he was great on the Seadogs. Looks like he hasnt missed a step from the Ahl coming to the Nhl,which is crazy considering he didnt play the first half. I think we have what they thought we had a steady top 4 d-man that can make a good first pass.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
I keep waiting for one of our call-ups to stand out like a 'sore thumb', but it doesn't look like it's happening. Even the much maligned Evan Oberg looked like he had some NHL potential last night. Gone are the days of Baumgartner and Coloumbe being our farm fillers, these guys can sure play. I guess that's what happens when you nurture a winning philosophy in your locker-room; impact players can help rookies adjust to the system quickly (thank you Ehrhoff and Salo) and the coaches down on the Moose seem to be doing a great job of prepping our guys for AV's system.

On Sauve, colour me massively impressed. Not that he's been a world-beater or anything, but based on our expectations for the call-up he's pretty much exceeded every one of them. As mentioned, especially impressive given his injury earlier in the year and lack of playing time. I think the guy can even develop a bit of a two-way game; there were a couple shifts he took with the Sedins where his pinches and heads up play in the offensive zone kept our momentum going. I think it'd be only a matter of time until he started picking up assists, and he seems to able to get that shot on net and through traffic. Could be a reliable 20-25 point type of guy with shut-down capabilities in the long-run.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Sauve was originally projected to have more offensive potential than he's shown so far, but I think with him he's always thinking about the safe play and "must get back on defence" first. Obviously those are great qualities in a potential shutdown guy and nothing against him for having such a conservative mindset at all. The key is for him to learn to trust the system that asks the D to jump up and pinch aggressively while trusting that weak side forwards will fall back to cover for him in case the gamble doesn't pay off.

I remember hearing about how his coaches in Saint John were always urging him to jump up and get involved in the play more and join the rush. It was very encouraging to see him break out offensively in his playoff run to the QMJHL finals last year. I could see him developing into a 2-way D-man with a mean streak who can punish the other team physically once his confidence starts to build up more and more.

He's got potential to be a perennial 25-30 point guy with that skating ability and first pass, but also his shot too. From what I've heard about him before he's got a remarkably heavy shot, and you could see some of his heads-up shooting instincts last night.

arsmaster*

Sauve was originally projected to have more offensive potential than he's shown so far, but I think with him he's always thinking about the safe play and "must get back on defence" first. Obviously those are great qualities in a potential shutdown guy and nothing against him for having such a conservative mindset at all. The key is for him to learn to trust the system that asks the D to jump up and pinch aggressively while trusting that weak side forwards will fall back to cover for him in case the gamble doesn't pay off.

I remember hearing about how his coaches in Saint John were always urging him to jump up and get involved in the play more and join the rush. It was very encouraging to see him break out offensively in his playoff run to the QMJHL finals last year. I could see him developing into a 2-way D-man with a mean streak who can punish the other team physically once his confidence starts to build up more and more.

He's got potential to be a perennial 25-30 point guy with that skating ability and first pass, but also his shot too. From what I've heard about him before he's got a remarkably heavy shot, and you could see some of his heads-up shooting instincts last night.

I think he is a Brooks Orpik clone.

The Big Foot

Oct 12, 2008
FWIW Ohlund's career high is 36 points..I could see Sauve topping out at 30 and not hurting the team offensively in the least. If he can get the puck to the forwards out of the zone that's the main thing. Seemed to have some keenness to pinch last night.

OT but did you guys realize Ohlund still hasn't scored a goal for TBL? Crazy. Seemed like you could count on him here for a goal every ten games while he was here.

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
OT but did you guys realize Ohlund still hasn't scored a goal for TBL? Crazy. Seemed like you could count on him here for a goal every ten games while he was here.
Difference being Ohlund scored a good chunk of his goals on the power play here. He doesn't have that same opportunity in Tampa Bay. That and he is on the downside of his career.

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008
I'd be happy if Sauve could turn into a reliable bottom-pairing defenseman. Anything more would be icing on the cake.

The Horvatian One

228 LBS of Pain
Aug 22, 2010
I just think how he stayed in the QMJHL for so long dampened the hype really that can be reserved for a 1st/2nd rounder.

He might be a great #3/4 defencemen one day. Anything more and I'm happy with this Nonis pick

He was a Gillis pick

He's actually a Gillis pick, although it was probably too late for Gillis to have all that much input into those late round selections.

2nd Round is a late pick?

Blackjackz

Jun 23, 2008
Vancouver, BC
It is funny how fans get so hot and cold on 18yr - 20yr old prospects, especially with only the limited amount of exposure we get of these kids. I think one of the things that Detroit has done a great job of doing is not so much the draft, as it is the system they have implemented to develop these kids. Gillis definitely did some excellent work to remedy our developmental system when he came on board. And I think this is one of the reasons that prospects like Yann Sauve can come in and contribute.

I like this kid, he is strong on his skates, and he looked better as each game progressed. He made some excellent safe decisions in both his own zone, and in the offensive zone. I really like the last ditch effort to move the puck up to Burrows that resulted in Vancouvers 3rd or 4th goal on Saturday night. He showed some really grit, and effort. A year or two in Manitoba, where he gets lots of ice time, and attention from the coaching staff, and this guy could really become a decent NHL defence man. Someone mentioned the velocity of his passes, which is something that stood out a couple of times as he moved the puck up the ice. It is a major problem for some young d-men in this league who try and feather passes through the neutral zone, and get picked off repeatedly. Yann Sauve is not ready for prime time yet, but the guy is making strides, and I think for anyones estimation, he looked ahead of schedule the past couple of games.

Ziostilon

Feb 14, 2009
It's 4 years ago now. It was all rainbow and butterflies back then. So many positive comments, saying he'll be ready in a couple years.

It's 2015, and he gets released from a PTO by St. John

The difference talked about in this thread when compared with Tanev was that Christopher could think the game at a higher level.

Tanev is on a first pairing in the NHL as a d-man. Sauve is riding buses in the ECHL, and on his knees begging for PTOs

Balls Mahoney

2015-2016 HF Premier League World Champion
Aug 14, 2008
Legend
It's too bad he didn't pan out, I really thought he was going to be something. I think just about all our defensive prospects aside from Tanev over the last several years are just a blur now.

Ziostilon

Feb 14, 2009
This page has a Wetcoaster post on it, that's how old it is.

But that's how long it takes for d-man to generally develop.

It's now that we need Yann Sauve to step up and play that top 4 role.

Instead, you had to grab other people's leftovers in Stanton & Sbisa

Blob Mckenzie*

It's too bad he didn't pan out, I really thought he was going to be something. I think just about all our defensive prospects aside from Tanev over the last several years are just a blur now.

Well your eye for talent is about as good as Helen Keller. Lol at your Horvat trolling in the other thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad