What do we have in Yann Sauve

Status
Not open for further replies.

canada1824

Feb 2, 2010
Washington DC
Because we need one for every D that we have recalled. He's been looking good, stable and just not screwing majorly up. All said, what do we have in mr. Yann Sauve?

Remember how we weren't really exactly excited about him 5 months ago?

VanEric

Dec 3, 2008
Vancouver
It takes time to develop especially as a defenseman. People have been too quick to judge Sauve based on very little evidence.

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
I'm still confused why some posters were so down on him this season — I remember his 09-10 camp was very good and he pleasantly surprised everyone. Seems like folks just forgot how well he did back then.

Big guy, very strong, great skater, and has pretty good hockey IQ. I think he can be a #3/#4 stay-at-home guy with a good first pass one day.

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
I'd say there's a good chance we have a Lidstrom with the physical play of Scott Stevens. ;)

canada1824

Feb 2, 2010
Washington DC
I just think how he stayed in the QMJHL for so long dampened the hype really that can be reserved for a 1st/2nd rounder.

He might be a great #3/4 defencemen one day. Anything more and I'm happy with this Nonis pick

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
Because we need one for every D that we have recalled. He's been looking good, stable and just not screwing majorly up. All said, what do we have in mr. Yann Sauve?

??? When he got hit by a car?

(BTW I wonder if Sauve set a record for the first player ever to get hit by a car then play a game in the ECHL, AHL and NHL all in the same season)

Street Hawk

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site

Same as what we thought when the season started. Young blueliner who needs time to develop in the minors. Has the skills, decision making could be better.

Obviously, the concussion from that car accident is a major concern going forward. Hopefully, this is the last one in his career or at the very least, he won't get another one for several years.

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
I just think how he stayed in the QMJHL for so long dampened the hype really that can be reserved for a 1st/2nd rounder.

He might be a great #3/4 defencemen one day. Anything more and I'm happy with this Nonis pick

He's actually a Gillis pick, although it was probably too late for Gillis to have all that much input into those late round selections.

arsmaster*

A Gillis pick. 2nd round in 2008 after Hodgson in Round 1, both born on FEbruary 18,1991.

He has all the physical tools - size, strength, skating, shot....needs to learn his own end better, but he hasnt looked out of place in the NHL yet.

Still probably 2 years away from full time duty.

Saturated Fats

This is water
Jan 24, 2007
Vancouver/Edinburgh
Soon as the game was over, knew that this exact thread would be on here.

He played well tonight. He's all heart, as was demonstrated on the 4th goal, and takes the body a lot for someone of medium size.

KDizzle

Aug 25, 2005
Bay Area
He's actually a Gillis pick, although it was probably too late for Gillis to have all that much input into those late round selections.

Well Sauve was an early 2nd round pick (41st overall). I feel like if Nonis were at the helm, then he would've chosen Taylor Ellington 2.0.

Lard_Lad

May 12, 2003
Kelowna
Visit site
The decision-making is pretty shaky, but the guy's only had half a season as a pro. Another year in Manitoba will go a long way towards fixing that.

But being effective physically this soon is good news; that was the part of his game that really had to transfer over from junior. All in all, he's been better than expected, pretty good considering there was talk a few weeks ago of sending him back to the Q for the last part of the year.

Wetcoaster

I'm still confused why some posters were so down on him this season — I remember his 09-10 camp was very good and he pleasantly surprised everyone. Seems like folks just forgot how well he did back then.

Big guy, very strong, great skater, and has pretty good hockey IQ. I think he can be a #3/#4 stay-at-home guy with a good first pass one day.
Sauve was pretty much invisible in training camp this season.;)

Vancouver_2010

Canucks and Oilers fan
Jun 21, 2006
I think he is Nicklas Lidström, Chris Pronger, Scott Niedermayer, Scott Stevens and Alexander Edler combined into one!

Saturated Fats

This is water
Jan 24, 2007
Vancouver/Edinburgh
Particularly to oncoming drivers.
captain-picard-full-of-win-500x381.jpg

Britton

Nov 28, 2008
Soon as the game was over, knew that this exact thread would be on here.

He played well tonight. He's all heart, as was demonstrated on the 4th goal, and takes the body a lot for someone of medium size.

6'3 220 is medium size?

thefeebster

Mar 13, 2009
Vancouver
I think he is Nicklas Lidström, Chris Pronger, Scott Niedermayer, Scott Stevens and Alexander Edler combined into one!

Whoa whoa there. Let's temper our expectations. Sauve is clearly the equivalent of Drew Doughty. I expect 60 points from him next season, along with a 5 minute long montage of hipchecks and open ice hits by its conclusion.

Make no mistake, i've met Sauve, Connauton, McNally, and a few other prospects. Sauve does not have medium size. You could clearly tell he was the most built and had a man's body in comparison to many.

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
6'3 220 is medium size?

Yeah, he's pretty much the same size as Edler — a little shorter (Edler is more like 6'4, despite what he's listed at) but bigger build. If Tanev puts on some muscle, we're going to have a pretty big blueline in a few years... and Polasek, if he stays on track developmentally, is another big D prospect.

GCM

Stork
Jun 22, 2010
I liked his physical play. So often we'll see a player who is big and doesn't use their body at all. He was leaning on the Stars all night in the corner and made a great second effort tip pass to Daniel to set up Henrik's tap in goal.

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
Yeah, he's pretty much the same size as Edler — a little shorter (Edler is more like 6'4, despite what he's listed at) but bigger build. If Tanev puts on some muscle, we're going to have a pretty big blueline in a few years... and Polasek, if he stays on track developmentally, is another big D prospect.

Don't forget Peter Andersson.

Outside99*

Sauve pick looks like a winner

Not sure how big he is but very strong on his skates.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad