Player Discussion What do we have in Erik Gudbranson?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Looks like we got a new category and it seems to be gone underrated so far. Would you mind to list last years league leaders in momentum changing hits? Also what was Guddys MCH/60 last year?

........... this discussion is about one game. The first game.......a game where I thought Gudbranson played well. The eye test and the stats back this up.

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
How do their contracts look? How will they look in three years (Beagle et Roussel)? No sarcasm needed when you completely overpay both in salary and term for a bunch of fourth liners.

You and those of your ilk act like it's your money. Would you rather have cheaper, inferior players?

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
If you think Schaller played on Wednesday, I think it's pretty fair to question any and all comments you make about that game as total BS.

Saw Schaller in the original lineup post so my bad. I THOUGHT he was pretty invisible but I only got to watch part of the game...

timbermen

Nov 14, 2017
I wonder if Gudbranson is Icelandic?Anyways,you guys keep trying to nail him to the cross.He should be sainted for protecting the skill guys and his other-worldly toughness.
images

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
1st shift - Knuckle puck of a zone exit that ends up in to the stands off of Erikssons stick,to exit the zone. Followed by the interference hit.

2nd shift - Fights Hamonic

3rd shift:

View attachment 144517

He is out of position as he reads the play wrong and is flat footed and trying to catch up where Pouliot is left on a 2 on 1. (Someone said this was Pouliots fault somehow.)

View attachment 144519

Someone said it should not have been a penalty. Looks like that is true. He catches stick 1st, then the right hand.

4th shift - Zones out a rushing player. Ends up a harmless shot from low% area.

Pinches and puts the puck on net him self, forces a offensive face off.

5th shift - Short shift where he isn't really involved in the play.

6th shift - Short shift where he isn't really involved in the play to end the 1st period.

So 1 good shift in the 1st period.

7th shift - Really short shift. His typical zone exit. Shoots the puck up the boards from behind the net.

8th shift - Really short shift. Works with Tanev to clear the zone against Gudreau et co.

It has been 28mins played here. He has 2½ positive plays. Has given Calgary 4 mins of PP. If they score on one or both of those, the narrative on these boards would be very different.

Is the standard so low for our 4 million dollar man that this level of play constitutes praise?

9th shift - Gets the puck to Pouliot to exit the zone. Loses Backlund alone in front of the net who can't control the pass he recieves. Loses puck battle in the corner that results in a great scoring chance for Calgary.

10th shift - Gets the puck to Pouliot, fail to exit zone. Calgary pressures; He retrieves the puck and banks the puck off the boards and off the ice.

11th shift - PK duty. Loses puck battle at the boards. Positionally decent rest of his short shift.

12th shift - Shot misses the net, maybe was intended as a pass? Works with Pouliot to leave the zone again they don't control the puck leaving the zone, ends up a dump in with no body to pressure the CLG D.

13th shift - PK duty. Loses puck battle at the boards. Calgary gets to setup. Motte breaks up a pass to relieve pressure. Gudbranson clears the puck to end the CLG PP.

14th shift - Loses puck battle at the boards. Flames get posession in nucks zone. Again a zone exit with no control.

**** this is not fun to watch. 1 more period to go.

15th shift - Goldobin sets him up for a decent shot, misses the net. Still they keep control and ends up in the net, Goldobin from EP. Gets the puck to the net from the point to keep the play alive, Lepisic from Beagle. A really solid shift by Guds.

16th shift - PK duty. Can't control a hard dump in at the boards, Calgary gets to setup their PP. Short shift.

That JV goal was really nice. Hope he can keep driving the net like that.

17th shift - Tries to stop zone entry, Calgary gets control after dump in. Short shift.

18th shift - Not really involved in the play. Pouliot tripping penalty.

19th shift - PK duty. Fails to break up a soft pass, seems to go through his stick. Screens Markström on a Lindholm shot. Granlund clears the resulting rebound from the slot.

20th shift - Gets beat outside on zone entry. Teams up with a forward to win a puck battle on the boards.

21st shift - PK duty. Good job clearing the puck up the boards. Bats the stick off of Backlunds hands in front of the net. Lobs the puck up the ice at the end of the Powerplay. Definitely a decent shift.

22nd shift - A few second shift. Does nothing.

I did it boys. I went through every single Gudbranson shift in a game. I'll never do this again, I promise.

Ok. Seriously. Apart from the hit that resulted in Calgary power-play he did nothing remotely physical, unless you want to count him batting the stick off of Backlunds hands. Some people saying was physical all game and played really solid. No. He wasnt, and he didnt play solid. He lost all but 1 puck battles at the boards. They don't exit with control but twice with him on the ice.

He wasn't positionally as bad as I expected. And he played a part in the shift that gave us 2 goals.

He did not have a good game. The sad part is, he wasn't our worst D man. That goes to Del Zotto. With him on the ice Calgary had 5 or 6 chances where a forward was left alone between the hashmarks and the net.

TLDR;

Gudbranson wasn't physical apart from the hit on Dube that resulted in a penalty. (edit, obviously the fight was very much physical)
Everything else he did was his usual play, this time the pucks didn't end in the net.

How could you come to this conclusion?

Phenomenal.

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
I honestly don't know how anyone could have watched Gudbranson last game and come to the conclusion that he had a "great game". Perhaps, relatively speaking, last game was one of his "better" games", but in an absolute sense, Gudbranson was not good last night. His foot speed was poor, which resulted in poor gap control off the rush, and being forechecked easily on the dump in. In addition, he couldn't make a pass out his own zone to save his own life. Honestly, I really don't know what people think he did well last game? Punch Hamonic in the face? The hit that started the fight was so obviously illegal.

There seems to be a belief that a fight, throwing a hit, rushing the puck up once or twice absolves all the other poor fundamentals of his game that he constantly puts on display night after night. It's a deluded belief, but that seems to be what goes on.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
There seems to be a belief that a fight, throwing a hit, rushing the puck up once or twice absolves all the other poor fundamentals of his game that he constantly puts on display night after night. It's a deluded belief, but that seems to be what goes on.

Well.. at least his biased shift by shift breakdown shows how grossly hyperbolic everyone of those clowns were being when they were blindly saying he was turnstiled every shift.

timbermen

Nov 14, 2017
lmaooo the usual suspects with 3 pages of sputtering [mod] responses to puckmunchkin's effort post.

Please, I invite those posters to track Guddy's game tonight and give us your own shift by shift review.
I'll do it.I'll PVR it and watch it twice if i have to.I could have done it last time but i was busy rewinding the awesome fight and hits, the plays that effected the game in a good way.I'll have my poindexter clipboard ready.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hollywood Burrows

Jan 23, 2009
EAST VANCOUVER
I'll do it.I'll PVR it and watch it twice if i have to.I could have done it last time but i was busy rewinding the awesome fight and hits, the plays that effected the game in a good way.I'll have my poindexter clipboard ready.

this might be a bit nerdy for you, but have you ever considered pressing the space bar when you begin a new sentence

Reactions: Toxic0n

Curved Space

Apr 9, 2006
I wonder how many of Gudbranson's team mates would vote him off of Canuck island, if they could?

I'm pretty sure each and everyone of them would emphatically support him for what he provides. I know they appreciate his leadership and the protective toughness he provides. I'm also pretty sure they would tell the anti-Guddy posters on here to do something anatomically impossible to their bodies. If only they possessed the wisdom of certain keyboard warriors here at hf Canucks.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
sputtering [mod] responses

If by "sputtering [mod] responses," you mean cold hard facts, that yeah......pathetic!

-He was a +3
-He had an assist
-He won a fight and had a huge hit which changed the momentum of the game (even by the admission of many Flame fans on this site)
-CF = 59%

Last edited by a moderator:

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Well.. at least his biased shift by shift breakdown shows how grossly hyperbolic everyone of those clowns were being when they were blindly saying he was turnstiled every shift.

What part of it was biased and hyperbolic?

I'll fix what ever you think I had wrong if you can back your claims up.

Now I remember why I decided to stay off your posts. Feels like shooting fish in barrel with how illogical your arguments are.

Last edited:

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
What part of it was biased and hyperbolic?

I'll fix what ever you think I had wrong if you can back your claims up.

-He was a +3
-He had an assist
-He won a fight and had a huge hit which changed the momentum of the game (even by the admission of many Flame fans on this site)
-CF = 59%

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
-He was a +3
-He had an assist
-He had a bone crushing hit
-CF = 59%

He had a blatantly illegal hit (which would have been a suspension if Dube was hurt) that he threw in desperation because he was about to get blown past to create an odd-man rush, and resulted in his team being put SH. He was credited with 0 hits in the game.

Calgary carried the play and had the majority of hits and chances after the hit and fight. We won the game because Markstrom was brilliant and our PK was excellent, not because of some non-existent 'momentum turn'.

Did you watch the game?

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
-He was a +3
-He had an assist
-CF = 59%

All of that was covered in what I said. Go re-read it if you missed it.

Only the condensed version of it. It's tough for me to watch full games here in Shanghai, but I'll be watching this coming one.

........... this discussion is about one game. The first game.......a game where I thought Gudbranson played well. The eye test and the stats back this up.

Eye test, that doesn't include actually watching the game.

I watched it live. And the rewatched Gudbransons shifts. Everything that I wrote actually happened. Even if @Literally got his feelings hurt cus I bolded parts that he didnt like.

All the events that Gudbranson was part of I tried to write down, good and bad.
Obviously some were really surprising. Like him continuously losing puck battles to smaller opponents.
Others not so surprising like him being unable to zone exit with control.

Last edited:

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
Ah. So you didn't actually watch the game. And still disagree.
I watched it all live and I disagree with you too.

As for your dissection of Gudbranson's game, you began from a position of bias against Gudbranson and that is well reflected in your notes. And no, I am not going to rewatch the game and answer to you point by point. I couldn't do that anyways because I streamed it. I saw a decent game by Gudbranson. In my opinion you saw the old Gudbranson because you chose to see that.

Reactions: Nomobo

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
I watched it all live and I disagree with you too.

As for your dissection of Gudbranson's game, you began from a position of bias against Gudbranson and that is well reflected in your notes. And no, I am not going to rewatch the game and answer to you point by point. I couldn't do that anyways because I streamed it. I saw a decent game by Gudbranson. In my opinion you saw the old Gudbranson because you chose to see that.

You saw his big hit (that was poorly timed and resulted in a Flames PP) and you saw him pummel Hamonic in a fight and those events are what you remember from the game. That is why you falsely thought he had a good game.

I went through every single event that he was involved in during the game. That is the reason our perceptions differ. Not because I went looking for flaws only. I listed EVERY SINGLE EVENT he was involved in. It just so happens it was 9/10 bad.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Calgary carried the play and had the majority of hits and chances after the hit and fight.

The overall hits were 17-16 Flames.

I’m also not seeing these “majority of chances” as I speed through the game here. The Flames ran up the shot total in the 3rd period (35-23 overall), after the Canucks had built a comfortable lead and were in protection mode. Flames having 7 PP’s conpared to our 1, *might* have also contributed to this.

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
You saw his big hit (that was poorly timed and resulted in a Flames PP) and you saw him pummel Hamonic in a fight and those events are what you remember from the game. That is why you falsely thought he had a good game.
Nope. I already shared my thoughts on his overall game.

But see, you can't even give him credit for a bone-crushing hit which seemed to have an impact on the game without criticizing him. Would you have said the same thing if it was Tanev? Did you say the same thing about Aaron Rome in 2011? I kind of doubt it.

But I digress - back to your dissection. I can't really think of a good parallel without getting into politics, but let's just say that partisans are never hired to positions where neutrality is required.

Reactions: Nomobo
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad