Speculation: What do we do with the D-core? Something's gotta give

durojean

May 29, 2007
I do think people need to prepare for the possibility that a fan favorite d-man might be traded.

If you do not think Harris or Barron are good enough to keep, it's likely another team won't want to trade good players for them.

I'm not saying Mailloux or Xhekaj will get traded, but I don't think anyone should set it in their minds that they are untouchable.

The only real d-men I see not being traded are Guhle and Hutson. If the Struble we see is the real deal, I think he's another d-man that doesn't get moved.

Guhle's got the more value and he's one of our only D that I would make a Zegras for him one on one for example. (if i was anaheim)

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
I'd rather trade a D we haven't signed yet than a top 10 pick. Sorry if that bursts your dream bubble, but there's good chance the top 10 pick will sign right away.

larek

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Ya he's not really a vet but compared to the average age of our d-core he is :laugh:

I think he could play a similar role for the youngsters coming in that Savard has right now. That's what makes it hard to decide on Struble etc.
You have Kova - Jackeye - Ghule - Struby
That's @ good foursome and very affordable for a while u keep that
Another name out there I think is interesting is Daniil Sobolev!!

MolleSon

May 21, 2018
As some have said, still too early to decide.
Hutson, Reinbacher, Engstrom, Mailloux still have to play one game in the show....

But lets say's we are in Oct 2025....
Savard and Harris have been traded, Matheson is still our offense QB but is on his last miles with us - he's going to get traded at the 26 TDL. Ghule has established himself as the D1 or 2. Xhekaj and Strubble are now regulars - we need their grit + Xhekaj has develop an interesting potential offensively. Reinbacher is a D3 and could still develop into a D1. - still young. Mailloux is on the team and he's evolving into our new QB. along with Matheson. Hutson... still a question mark. Could be a star, a bust or be traded....
Ghule- Matheson (Mailloux)
Xhekaj (Strubble)- Reinbacher
Strubble (Xhekaj)- Mailloux (Matheson)
Hutson (if not traded or busted) or one of Kovacevic, Barron or Engstrom

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
Next season (with long-term replacements):

Matheson (Hutson) - Savard (reinbacher)
Guhle - Barron (mailloux)
Xhekaj - Kovy/Bogdan
Struble

I don’t foresee Matheson and Hutson as regulars at the same time.

Matheson replaced at TDL in 2 years.
Savard replaced in one year.
Barron trade chip when his replacement is ready.
Kovy would be a good veteran depth piece if he’ll re-sign when UFA. The Habs really like him and that unit will be very young.

larek

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
For this year , I would trade Savard at TDL . Value is high at the moment , and it won’t get any better. We can retain 50% and get a 1st +.

We start 2024-25 with
Matheson- Ghule
Struble - Kovacevic
Xhekaj - Barron
Harris

Hutson , Mailloux , Reinbacher in the AHL for a complete calendar.

That would be my plan for the next year .
Like it aside from Harris
Also put sobiil in ahl
He's an overager in OHL
This guy could turn into another Emelin who can fight some unless they don't want to play them In their org for some reason

Forsead

Apr 7, 2009
Québec City
Maybe I'm wrong, while overall quality and depth is strong, I don't see a true number 1 guy. They will need a Markov and find a way to get it.

Unless Reinbacher surprise me or Guhle has a insane development curve next season.

Reactions: Harry Kakalovich

CAUFIELD

Oct 16, 2015
Like it aside from Harris
Also put sobiil in ahl
He's an overager in OHL
This guy could turn into another Emelin who can fight some unless they don't want to play them In their org for some reason
Sobiil?

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
Outside Matheson (and some flashes from Guhle) they are all so thoroughly mediocre in terms of NHL performance that I fail to see on what basis a decision should be made just now.

I'd be careful with trading Barron, because sloppiness at his age doesn't mean much and a potentially mobile, relatively skilled RHD is worth his weight in gold in this market.

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
There's no need to do anything any time soon outside of selling one of Matheson/Savard.
As long as we're tanking and not aiming for a playoff spot, I agree.

Come draft time... You know the phone will ring though and it won't be for Matheson/Savard.

McGees

Jun 15, 2016
For the time being:
I'm keeping Struble/Guhle/Hutson/Reinbacher
trade anyone else for scoring forwards.

Reactions: vokiel

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Way Wifi talked about Savard in post game makes Savard difficult to move. Said he felt comfortable playing with Savard. He talked him through the game

Reactions: 1909

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Barron, Harris, Norlinder, Savard & Kovacevic don't have futures with the team. Only Guhle, Struble & Xhekaj do.

It's 50-50 on Matheson. He's still young enough.

That leaves Hutson, Engstrom, Mailloux & Reinbacher as the only legit prospects on D for next season. Reinbacher is likely in the AHL. Probably Engstrom too.

Next year, we probably start with a D of:

Matheson-Guhle
Hutson-Savard
Xhekaj-Struble
Mailloux

Savard will be traded at TD 2025.

When Reinbacher is 21/22, Matheson is 32/33. I'd extend Matheson to age 34/35 and decide on flipping him at a later date. Until then, he helps us have someone who can QB a PP.

I'd move Savard this next TDL if the offer was solid. Problem is we are probably going to use our last retention spot on Allen.

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
between now and the end of next season you tade Savard, Harris and probably one of Kovacevic, Barron or Mailloux.

Matheson, one of the best contract in the NHL all in is Prime, we ride it out if we are a playoff team we keep him as our own rental if not you trade him as a rental.

Guhle let him progress

Xhekaj, this guy can be a regular maybe even above avg D and be one of the most intimidating guy in the NHL (this is like prime Laraque, Lucic, Wilson or Simon), I'm not moving him unless it an offer that is impossible to refuse. Even if he is just a 3rd pairing guy he fill two role, if there no room for him on D just move him up the the wing.

Mailloux is waiver exempt so you leave him in the AHL unless he clearly beat someone for a top 4 spot.

Reinbacher, same as Mailloux if he isn't able to play top 4 you leave him top minute in the AHL.

Barron, It think next year he will have to do to waiver, so he will spend the year in Montreal hopefulling he is able to take a step / or flash enough to boost is value. This guy is a Petry clone here might be a great top 4 D in is prime not sure we want to give up too early...

Mailloux, Reinbacher and Barron are really what will dictate all the other moves.

Kovacevic, Seem like the Perfect #6/7, very cheap deal and one more season, if Kulak was worth a 2nd he might be worth 3 of them...

Savard, after the Monahan deal it kind of hard to trade him it would be a very rough end to the season and we wouldn't be able to out tank the team below us anywway. But it will hinge on where we think Reinbacher, Mailloux and Barron will be or if team are willing to over pay.

Harris, I been saying for over a year that he is the odd man out, Struble only made it more imminant, still a NHL capable D, we could do a lot worst for a #7.

Struble, think it is clear that he supassed Harris and might also be better suited for 3rd pairing. but there might still no be any room for him...

Engstrom and Hutson could be a wild card but probably best if he spend some time in the AHL.

Trudeau, Feel like he is always doing better than expected in camp but pretty sure he going to be the odd man out and stay an AHL guy

Keep
Matheson
Guhle

Trade Chip, the issues is that none have enough value that trading them make sense.
Savard
Harris
Trudeau
Barron
Kovacevic
Mailloux
Struble
Engstrom
Xhekaj
Hutson

Habsfan2992

One of the 1st
May 12, 2004
Oakville
Reinbacher - 1st pair potential
Guhle - 1st pair potential
Mailloux - 2nd pair potential
Struble- 2nd pair potential
Xhekaj - 2nd pair potential
Engstrom - 2nd pair potential
Barron - 2nd pair potential
Hutson - 3rd pair potential
Harris - 3rd pair potential
Hudson 3rd pair? Please tell me that's a typo

Habsfan2992

One of the 1st
May 12, 2004
Oakville
between now and the end of next season you tade Savard, Harris and probably one of Kovacevic, Barron or Mailloux.

Matheson, one of the best contract in the NHL all in is Prime, we ride it out if we are a playoff team we keep him as our own rental if not you trade him as a rental.

Guhle let him progress

Xhekaj, this guy can be a regular maybe even above avg D and be one of the most intimidating guy in the NHL (this is like prime Laraque, Lucic, Wilson or Simon), I'm not moving him unless it an offer that is impossible to refuse. Even if he is just a 3rd pairing guy he fill two role, if there no room for him on D just move him up the the wing.

Mailloux is waiver exempt so you leave him in the AHL unless he clearly beat someone for a top 4 spot.

Reinbacher, same as Mailloux if he isn't able to play top 4 you leave him top minute in the AHL.

Barron, It think next year he will have to do to waiver, so he will spend the year in Montreal hopefulling he is able to take a step / or flash enough to boost is value. This guy is a Petry clone here might be a great top 4 D in is prime not sure we want to give up too early...

Mailloux, Reinbacher and Barron are really what will dictate all the other moves.

Kovacevic, Seem like the Perfect #6/7, very cheap deal and one more season, if Kulak was worth a 2nd he might be worth 3 of them...

Savard, after the Monahan deal it kind of hard to trade him it would be a very rough end to the season and we wouldn't be able to out tank the team below us anywway. But it will hinge on where we think Reinbacher, Mailloux and Barron will be or if team are willing to over pay.

Harris, I been saying for over a year that he is the odd man out, Struble only made it more imminant, still a NHL capable D, we could do a lot worst for a #7.

Struble, think it is clear that he supassed Harris and might also be better suited for 3rd pairing. but there might still no be any room for him...

Engstrom and Hutson could be a wild card but probably best if he spend some time in the AHL.

Trudeau, Feel like he is always doing better than expected in camp but pretty sure he going to be the odd man out and stay an AHL guy

Keep
Matheson
Guhle

Trade Chip, the issues is that none have enough value that trading them make sense.
Savard
Harris
Trudeau
Barron
Kovacevic
Mailloux
Struble
Engstrom
Xhekaj
Hutson
I want some of your drugs! Your last 5 are trade chips?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad