Speculation: What do we do with the D-core? Something's gotta give

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
- Matheson/Savard/Kovacevic (vet D)
- Guhle/Xhekaj/Struble/Harris/Barron (young NHL D)
- Hutson/Reinbacher/Mailloux/Engstrom/Konyushkov (D prospects with high NHL potential)
- Trudeau etc. (solid D prospect that can become NHL'ers)

That's just a crazy list of D-men, obviously having all these players is a good problem to have but figuring out who to keep and who to move (without making a mistake) is gonna be a huge task for Hughes.

What he does with the D-core and what we get for the players that he decides to move is gonna decide how quickly we'll be able to compete. I honestly find it very hard to figure out who we should move, I also like all of those D prospects that we have coming up.

Guhle to me is a lock, Xhekaj will be a leader on this team and would be the ideal type of player to have play on your 3rd pair. I'd keep these 2 guys for sure but i also like Struble.. i like Harris, i like Kovacevic. I think these guys are good players for the roles they play and how much they're gonna get paid.. but that's a strong group of players coming up.

I feel like ultimately there's no choice but to move Harris/Barron. I think management will have to pick between Kovacevic and Struble for the 3rd pair, Struble is the player I'm torn on the most (mainly because of how good Kovacevic is defensively + how cheap he is + still young). At least we're getting to see Struble in the NHL earlier than expected, we'll get a good idea of what we have in him before needing to make a decision on him.

Hutson - Guhle
Reinbacher/Mailloux/Engstrom
Xhekaj/Struble/Kovacevic

We'll have more time with Konyushkov before he comes over most likely so at least we don't need to find him a spot right away. What would you do?

Last edited:

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
- Guhle/Xhekaj/Struble/Barron/Harris (young NHL D)
- Hutson/Reinbacher/Mailloux/Engstrom/Konyushkov (D prospects with high NHL potential)

That's just a crazy list of D-men, obviously having all these players is a good problem to have but figuring out who to keep and who to move (without making a mistake) is gonna be a huge task for Hughes.

What he does with the D-core and what we get for the players that he decides to move is gonna decide how quickly we'll be able to compete. I honestly find it very hard to figure out who we should move, I also like all of those D prospects that we have coming up.

Guhle to me is a lock, Xhekaj will be a leader on this team and would be the ideal type of player to have play on your 3rd pair. I'd keep these 2 guys for sure but i also like Struble.. i like Harris, i like Kovacevic. I think these guys are good players for the roles they play and how much they're gonna get paid.. but that's a strong group of players coming up.

What would you do?

Too early to make a meaningful guess but I am confident that Kovacevic is not in the plans and is strictly a stop gap solution.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Its pretty simple to me. Longterm this should be our d-corps:

Hutson - Reinbacher
Guhle - Mailloux
Xhekaj - Engstrom

I think for all of them except Engstrom, the reason we should keep them over the others is pretty obvious. They are either unique or have a very high potential.

Engstrom vs Barron vs Struble is the only difficult decision to make imo.
I would go with Engstrom since I feel he's got the most upside of the 3.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
We'll have to see about Engstrom but I like him a lot, I think he has legit 2nd pair potential and could be a #3. It's interesting to see Guhle playing RD, hard to say if that's a long term plan or not.

Not all of these guys are gonna make it tho, maybe Mailloux never ends up being that 2nd pair D or maybe he does and Engstrom doesn't etc. Figuring out who those guys are early and moving them (for help up front) is what'll help speed up the rebuild.

That's where you can't afford to make a big mistake, that type of decision will need to be made eventually.

Last edited:
Reactions: Habs Halifax

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
Kova stays wouldn't call him a vet
Ya he's not really a vet but compared to the average age of our d-core he is :laugh:

I think he could play a similar role for the youngsters coming in that Savard has right now. That's what makes it hard to decide on Struble etc.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
My opinion, stay put!
Take all the times you need. All of them are under contracts or young and there are no rush to make decision, let their play on the ice decide. Trading away a Hutson or a Xhekaj or even Barron at this point in time could bite you in the back for years to come.

The obvious players to trade is Savard and Matheson. Maybe set a very high price for Kovacevic but all other players could become an important piece of the team moving forward.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
My opinion, stay put!
Take all the times you need. All of them are under contracts and there are no rush to make decision, let their play on the ice decide. Trading away a Hutson or a Xhekaj or even Barron at this point in time could bite you in the back for years to come.
Definitely not Hutson or Xhekaj anytime soon but you have to figure out the situation with Matheson/Harris/Kova/Struble/Barron, there's a big logjam as is right now (starting from next season).

Reinbacher/Hutson/Mailloux are joining the team next season most likely (safe to say at least 1 of them will be in the NHL, could be 2 tho). Engstrom could be knocking at the door depending on how well he plays in camp too, but realistically we'll have plenty of time with guys like Engstrom and Konyushkov.

Last edited:
Reactions: Toene

Canadiens Ghost

Mr. Objectivity
Dec 14, 2011
Smurfland
I'm confident Hughes is gonna eventually cook up a deal and trade one or two of them (maybe with picks) to get a top 6 forward.
No idea which D's would be used for such a trade.

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019
I’d gladly give Barron and Harris. Rest can stay for now until Hutson, Mallioux and Reiner come about.

I will take a decent aggressive and mean forward for Matheson though.

NewDef

Nov 2, 2015
Strubble is so reliably good since he was brought up (yes he had a bad game the other day but he's been solid and makes very very few stupid mistakes in all the other games). He skates well, plays the right way, rarely taken by surprise. That's a tough hombre i'd like to keep.

It's a hard take but imo Baron has no future with us. I just don't like the vibe and lack of intensity. Feels like Armia on D. Interesting for a trade but not for our core. (Imo).

Kovacevic would be luxury as a 7th D, especially a righty... on a good salary. he could save a playoff run if a core D gets injured and his size would be usefull in the playoffs.

Xhekaj is a keeper. Every team needs a Bogosian ++. He's gonna mature well if we don't smother him. Relax, enjoy, we don't have alternatives for what he brings.

To me, sell high on Matheson and Barron. Keep uncle Dave and bring the kids up one at the time.

I'm eager to see how Hutson will adapt. Mailloux is getting the reps and learning. Patience. Reinbacher will get a taste then go learn/adapt in the AHL a bit. I have high hopes on Engstrom and Konyushkov.

I feel we'll trade a couple of guys to set the core D and get forwards we need, hence Trudeau might end up as the de facto call up while this plays out and the future core pieces arrives. I like him, but it's hard to see Trudeau as future habs D core considering what's in the pipe.

The pieces will fall into place very fast in the next 2 years. 2025-26 will be pretty interesting.

Reactions: atrud66 and Tuggy

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia

I feel like ultimately there's no choice but to move Harris/Barron. I think management will have to pick between Kovacevic and Struble for the 3rd pair, Struble is the player I'm torn on the most (mainly because of how good Kovacevic is defensively + how cheap he is + still young). At least we're getting to see Struble in the NHL earlier than expected, we'll get a good idea of what we have in him before needing to make a decision on him.

Hutson - Guhle
Xhekaj/Struble/Kovacevic

We'll have more time with Konyushkov before he comes over most likely so at least we don't need to find him a spot right away. What would you do?
You don't want to make decisions too quick. Early yey

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
One thing for sure, is with the depth at D in the prospect ranks, they must see it as well and they are all fighting to get better and claim those spots. This young group will advance and hopefully we make the right choice in the long run, and keep the best of the bunch.

I think we could be in a situation in the future where our bottom pair is a legit 2nd pair on other teams. This prospect pool is that good.

Reinbacher - 1st pair potential
Hutson - 1st pair potential
Guhle - 1st pair potential
Mailloux - 2nd pair potential
Xhekaj - 2nd pair potential
Eng/Struble/Harris/Barron - 2nd/3rd pair potential

Potential is the key. But, this is a competitive environment that may push these guys to their best.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
One thing for sure, is with the depth at D in the prospect ranks, they must see it as well and they are all fighting to get better and claim those spots. This young group will advance and hopefully we make the right choice in the long run, and keep the best of the bunch.

I think we could be in a situation in the future where our bottom pair is a legit 2nd pair on other teams. This prospect pool is that good.

Hutson - 1st pair potential
Eng/Struble/Harris/Barron - 2nd/3rd pair potential

Potential is the key. But, this is a competitive environment that may push these guys to their best.
Struble- 2nd pair potential
Engstrom - 2nd pair potential
Barron - 2nd pair potential
Hutson - 3rd pair potential
Harris - 3rd pair potential

Last edited:

PhysicX

Nov 17, 2010
MTL
Kovacevic needs some love in this thread.

Right-handed, big bodied, defensively-minded and durable
Protects the players and drops the mitts at times
He's a +10 in his career (games mostly played with the Habs)

Kovacevic as a 6-7 or 8 D is great. In our zone, I trust him much more than Barron or Harris, and in my opinion, it's ill-advised to omit him from the future portrait of this team.

CoopersFalls

Director of Armchair Operations
Mar 5, 2010
Central Ontario
I'm afraid the odd one out will be Xhekaj based on how this season's played out.

I would personally trade Harris and eventually Matheson.

Long-term:
Guhle - Mailloux
Hutson - Reinbacher
Xhekaj - Barron/Struble

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
Ultimately the players will decide who stays and who goes, a good problem to have. Where it gets dicey for Hughes is waivers. You may have to move someone earlier than you want to becauuse of waiver eligibility. Assuming no trades these guys need waiver

Next season (Savard, Matheson, Kovacevic, Harris, Barron, Norlinder) Norlinder clears rest would be claimed
2025-26 The above plus Xhekaj, Ghule

No real urgency to decide yet, assuming all healthy and here- next year you start season with (Savard, Matheson, Kovacevic, Harris, Barron, Xhekaj, Ghule) I think a vet (Savard or Kovacevic gets traded before he makes a decision on young guys, Ultimately I see Harris in the 7th/ fill in anywhere role. Savard or Kova gets moved when one of the young righties is ready (Reinbacher or Mailloux)

Other option is Barron gets included in a package for a F. All said he still has time- waivers won't be a problem for a while

Naslundforever

43-67-110
Aug 21, 2015

Hutson - Guhle
Xhekaj/Struble/Kovacevic

You start playing them and pitting them against each other for spots. Trade those that lose the fight.

Reactions: BJCOLLINS

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Barron, Harris, Norlinder, Savard & Kovacevic don't have futures with the team. Only Guhle, Struble & Xhekaj do.

It's 50-50 on Matheson. He's still young enough.

That leaves Hutson, Engstrom, Mailloux & Reinbacher as the only legit prospects on D for next season. Reinbacher is likely in the AHL. Probably Engstrom too.

Next year, we probably start with a D of:

Matheson-Guhle
Hutson-Savard
Xhekaj-Struble
Mailloux

Savard will be traded at TD 2025.

BJCOLLINS

Jul 7, 2003
Pirate Satellite
I’m sure the vultures(NHL GM’s) are circling our d-core.

IMHO, one or two of, Savard, Kovacevic, Harris & Struble could be moved for the right offer at this TDL. I have a feeling Matheson maybe our most desirable asset. Savard is a great vet that will gather plenty of interest. I really like Struble & would like to see him stay however, on the trade market he’s already demonstrated his value & potential.

Guhle, Xhekaj, Barron & Mailloux have too much untapped potential for HuGo to mess these futures up. Barron unfortunately suffers from DWB, (designated whipping boy) syndrome here on HFB, unreasonable criticism follows him from biased (fans)….HuGo traded for him, they’ll not be as short sighted.

Hutson, Reinbacher, are blue chip so they may force an opening next year but likely they will be in Laval like Engstrom, Trudeau, Konyushkov maybe Sobolev.

Reactions: durojean

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Barron, Harris, Norlinder, Savard & Kovacevic don't have futures with the team. Only Guhle, Struble & Xhekaj do.

It's 50-50 on Matheson. He's still young enough.

That leaves Hutson, Engstrom, Mailloux & Reinbacher as the only legit prospects on D for next season. Reinbacher is likely in the AHL. Probably Engstrom too.

Next year, we probably start with a D of:

Matheson-Guhle
Hutson-Savard
Xhekaj-Struble
Mailloux

Savard will be traded at TD 2025.

- Imo, Mailloux should be in the top 6 or in Laval, not the pressbox.

- What makes you ready to permanently give up on Barron?

- Hutson may not be able to handle NHL forwards, especially at his current weight.

Hughes is into asset management. If he can't get the deal he wants for dmen like Harris and Barron, he may hang on to them until he can.

Montreal:
Matheson-Guhle
Strubke-Savard
Xhekaj-Barron
Harris or Kovacevic

(So one of Harris or Kovacevic traded)

Hutson - Reinbacher
Engstrom - Mailloux
Trudeau- AHL Vet
AHL vet

I would think Reinbacher would be closer to NHL ready than Hutson because if his size and all around game. I also see Engstrom as a real wild card.

Last edited:

durojean

May 29, 2007
The way i see it.

Matheson Guhle
Struble Savard
Kovacevich Xhekaj

Barron
Harris

Potential :
Hutson
Reinbacher
Mailloux
Engstrom
Kunyushkov

Patience is the key. I feel Guhle would give us our best return right now. I would not deal Hutson until I see how he adapt at the NHL level. Really, I watch how thing evolve and I take decisions accordingly.

We are not in a hurry and thing is with potential, we really can't judge until we see it. In theory, the dog fight we will have at D should make everyone progress as the competition will be intense and there will be no margin for errors at the risk of being overtaken. We finally will have a real intern competition and that in itself is really exciting.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
I do think people need to prepare for the possibility that a fan favorite d-man might be traded.

If you do not think Harris or Barron are good enough to keep, it's likely another team won't want to trade good players for them.

I'm not saying Mailloux or Xhekaj will get traded, but I don't think anyone should set it in their minds that they are untouchable.

The only real d-men I see not being traded are Guhle, Reinbacher, and Hutson. If the Struble we see is the real deal, I think he's another d-man that doesn't get moved.

Harris and Barron are definitely on the block. I do think Mailloux or Xhekaj get moved if the right deal comes along.

For Struble, Guhle, Reinbacher, Hutson, I do think these players get moved unless some elite star is being offered.

Reactions: Licou

CAUFIELD

Oct 16, 2015
For this year , I would trade Savard at TDL . Value is high at the moment , and it won’t get any better. We can retain 50% and get a 1st +.

We start 2024-25 with
Matheson- Ghule
Struble - Kovacevic
Xhekaj - Barron
Harris

Hutson , Mailloux , Reinbacher in the AHL for a complete calendar.

That would be my plan for the next year .

Reactions: atrud66

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad