Speculation: What do we do with the D-core? Something's gotta give

BozoTheClown

Jul 10, 2021
Harris is the odd man out right now.
Baron still has next season as waiver eligible so you don’t have to make a decision for another year.
Players part of the future includes Ghule, Xhekaj, Struble, Kovacevic, Mailloux. Big and physical dmen.

I think we could get an amazing return trading Matheson with 50% retention.
But neither him or Savard need to be traded right now.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
Outside Matheson (and some flashes from Guhle) they are all so thoroughly mediocre in terms of NHL performance that I fail to see on what basis a decision should be made just now.

I'd be careful with trading Barron, because sloppiness at his age doesn't mean much and a potentially mobile, relatively skilled RHD is worth his weight in gold in this market.
A sobering but realistic perspective.

I’m still trying to understand what some posters think our defence would look like without Matheson’s 26 minutes of high leverage playing time?

MTL Dirty Birdy

Aug 29, 2021
Its pretty simple to me. Longterm this should be our d-corps:

Hutson - Reinbacher
Guhle - Mailloux
Xhekaj - Engstrom

I think for all of them except Engstrom, the reason we should keep them over the others is pretty obvious. They are either unique or have a very high potential.

Engstrom vs Barron vs Struble is the only difficult decision to make imo.
I would go with Engstrom since I feel he's got the most upside of the 3.
I feel Engatrom may have the best of Strublea defensive game and Barton’s offensive game.

Naslundforever

43-67-110
Aug 21, 2015
Hudson 3rd pair? Please tell me that's a typo
I’d say 3rd pair and pp1 would not be a stretch of the imagination? Maybe 4th line LW even? I have such a hard time projecting this kid. I can’t imagine he can even play in the nhl to this day, but if he can his ceiling is obviously sky-high. Total bust-or-all-star delta in my projection… Would not be surprised either way.

Harris looks afraid for his life when he plays. I wish him the best elsewhere, you can’t have that in hockey. I felt somewhat the same about Barron. Trade both and some picks for someone good.

As for everyone else, make them beat out Matheson or Savard for a spot; no more charity.

Licou

Sep 10, 2007
Longuh
It's been said by other posters already but I will say it again.

People that think that our less valuable defensemen can return something interesting are delusional.

In my opinion, one of Guhle, Reinbacher, Hutson, Mailloux or even Struble will be dealt sooner rather than later in order to bring value back on offense. If we want a chance at a star forward, we will have to pay the appropriate price.

Furthermore, guys like Kova and Struble to an extent are a great cost controlled option for the future as 3rd paring / 7th defensemen.

And finally, I think the team will always try to keep a legit vet on the blue line. Even Guhle, who is our most seasoned young D, will not be ready to "lead" our backend for a while.

So in summary, stop thinking we can trade Harris and a 2nd for anything valuable... This is not how this works....

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
Dickinson - Reinbacher
Guhle - Mailloux
Hutson - Xhekaj
Struble

Barron - trade asset (at the draft?)
Savard, kova, Matheson - TDL assets
Engstrom, Bogdan - I like, but too soon to pencil in.

Beer and Chips

Feb 5, 2018
Young defensemen need time but we have too many so someone will have to be moved but I can't see how the team will improve the next couple of years with all young guys.
Maybe we can offer Harris to a team to take Armia, that's a win.

Last edited:

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
It's been said by other posters already but I will say it again.

People that think that our less valuable defensemen can return something interesting are delusional.

In my opinion, one of Guhle, Reinbacher, Hutson, Mailloux or even Struble will be dealt sooner rather than later in order to bring value back on offense. If we want a chance at a star forward, we will have to pay the appropriate price.

Furthermore, guys like Kova and Struble to an extent are a great cost controlled option for the future as 3rd paring / 7th defensemen.

And finally, I think the team will always try to keep a legit vet on the blue line. Even Guhle, who is our most seasoned young D, will not be ready to "lead" our backend for a while.

So in summary, stop thinking we can trade Harris and a 2nd for anything valuable... This is not how this works....
Not really Harris but Barron and obviously Matheson carry much more value, if you wanna upgrade the top 6 those are the guys that'll return something good (with adds of course, depends on who you're trading for)

We kept Anderson for 1 season too long, he should have been moved last year, maybe it's best if we don't make the same mistake with Matheson? I'm not saying that Matheson will regress like Anderson but injuries are always possible. Then factor in his age, if he misses a season he'll be coming back going into 31-32.. I think we should capitalize on moving Matheson when he's at his max value.

I understand the arguments made for team chemistry and how he's a good fit/leader for our core but imo his value on the trade market far outweighs those elements, Matheson's return could be massive. He's still in his prime, cost controlled/low cap hit and he's proven that he can play big minutes vs top competition (as well as playing on PP1). He won't have too many more seasons like the 1 he's having this year.

Last edited:

Bacchus1

Fill the net!
Sep 10, 2007
Montreal
Its pretty simple to me. Longterm this should be our d-corps:

Hutson - Reinbacher
Guhle - Mailloux
Xhekaj - Engstrom

I think for all of them except Engstrom, the reason we should keep them over the others is pretty obvious. They are either unique or have a very high potential.

Engstrom vs Barron vs Struble is the only difficult decision to make imo.
I would go with Engstrom since I feel he's got the most upside of the 3.
I think that Reinbacher, Mailloux, and Hutson are all a year away from full time with the Canadiand at least. Reinbacher probably has the fastest track, but I could see him needing time in the AHL to get use to a smaller ice surface and get use to how the Habs’ system works. Maybe he gets a tryout or an emergency call up, but it would be rushing him.

Barron will probably get another real look before any of them, and already that would require injuries or moving on from Harris, or some other trade.

I kinda hope we keep our vet Ds to help groom the young ones unless we get an offer we can’t refuse. But, if we lose both Savard and Matheson, it will have a negative impact on development as young D will be forced into roles they aren’t ready for yet.

I could see us moving a solid yongster for some forward help. For example (not proposing this or suggesting it is likely), if we traded Ghule we would get a great return and free up development space. Maybe we let Mailloux excel in a protected role for 30-40 games and moved on from him because the negative legal history just keeps lingering… or the same for Reinbacher because of some other reason. But, for the last two guys, those trades might be 2-3 years off, if we try to maximize their returns.

Reactions: HabbyGuy

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
On Facebook they say he's shopping Harris. I don't know if anything to it or not. If is, must be tied to Harris signing here. Because Said trying to trade him to team where he gets chance to play.

• Haha
Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Maybe I'm wrong, while overall quality and depth is strong, I don't see a true number 1 guy. They will need a Markov and find a way to get it.

Unless Reinbacher surprise me or Guhle has a insane development curve next season.
Hutson’s potential is to be a Markov PP replacement, and team D depth to replace defensive execution

Garnet76

Dec 3, 2017
Chatham Ontario
Patience is the key here. Habs currently have many dman playing their 2nd season with less than 200 games under their belts. It takes at least that many games to start to see what you have in a dman most of the time. So to be honest Montreal still doesn't know what they have with these players besides projections. I feel most of them have regress this year compared to last year which is normal. The Habs decided to re-build and its important to not rush it and see it through. I wouldn't be making trades on projections. I would wait and have the players force my hand in the future.

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
Still not sure what we have in Hutson. Something in the future of.....

Guhle - Mailloux
Rein - Hutson
Xhekaj - Barron
Struble/Engstrom/Bogdan

Harris is the odd man out for our young D core.

Any of those last three could also become dispensable should one of them elevate their game significantly.

Clock is ticking hardest for Barron.

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
this is not the norm here

1. Trade Math if you get a real solid offer
2. Trade Savard if you can as well...
3. Can't trade both so have to keep one of Math or Savard

Have to move one, ONLY if KH can get a real solid pick or prospect back

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Harris is the odd man out right now.
Baron still has next season as waiver eligible so you don’t have to make a decision for another year.
Players part of the future includes Ghule, Xhekaj, Struble, Kovacevic, Mailloux. Big and physical dmen.

I think we could get an amazing return trading Matheson with 50% retention.
But neither him or Savard need to be traded right now.
There is no way we retain on Matheson's contract unless it's to move him at TDL of his final year.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
There is no way we retain on Matheson's contract unless it's to move him at TDL of his final year.
Why? The heightened return from trading a minute-munching, veteran, 50+ point D at only 2,4375M might make it more than worthwhile.

Two seasons left for Matheson after this one. Montreal won't be desperately needing 2.4375M over that time frame, but a genuine, talented addition up front would be welcome.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad