What do we do now?

AvsfanJack

Jun 30, 2013
Windsor
With the potential serious injury to Tanguay(knock on wood) happening, I was wondering what you guys believe is the best way to fix up our lines. Roy mixed and matched quite a bit when Tanguay left the game, what do you think is the best way of going about things? I'll start with the way I'd like to see things.

O'Reilly-Dutch-PAP
Landy-Staz-Talbot
McGinn-MacKinnon-Mitchell
McLeod-Cliche-Bordeleau

With Talbot such a good PK guy, I think he would be alright on the shutdown line for a few games while Tangs recovers. Thoughts?

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
He didn't really mix and match that much. MacKinnon was with Staz and Landy all the 3rd period and seemed to do alright. If it's short term, I could see that sticking since we have about 7 centers still on the roster.

The other option could be just plugging McGinn on the wing with Landy and Staz. I just am praying Tanguay's injury isn't that bad.

AvsfanJack

Jun 30, 2013
Windsor
He didn't really mix and match that much. MacKinnon was with Staz and Landy all the 3rd period and seemed to do alright. If it's short term, I could see that sticking since we have about 7 centers still on the roster.

The other option could be just plugging McGinn on the wing with Landy and Staz. I just am praying Tanguay's injury isn't that bad.

I'm alright with Mac playing with Lando and Staz. But it would leave out third and fourth lines pretty depleted. McGinn is good but he needs to play with talented players to do well. If our third line was McGinn-Mitchell-Talbot I don't know how well they would do.

CoachBadkitten

Matt Hunwick
Jul 25, 2012
Colorado
I think it will look something like:

ROR-Duchene-PAP
Landy-Staz-Mack
McGinn-Talbot-Mitchell
McLeod-Cliche-Bordy.

But personally, I'd put Cliche or McLeod on that 3rd line instead of Mitchell.

e: forgot about Sgarbossa, this could be a good time to call him up and give him some real talent to play with.

Last edited:

zxcvnm

Jun 19, 2013
Remember SammyJankis
With McGinn's return, I expect Roy to trot out the McGinn-MacKinnon-Talbot line for now. I expect him to move Mitchell to Stastny's right wing for the time being. I don't know if he'll try 7D or promote someone like Malone.

I think at this point, the best possible scenario for Tanguay still leaves him out for a month. Based on Dater's comments, I'm worried he might be out for the season.

If the goal was to do as well this season as possible, I'd agree that moving MacKinnon to Stastny's wing would be the best move. But, since Roy is playing the long game with MacKinnon, I don't see why Tanguay's injury would necessarily change Roy's approach. If this is about building a cup contender in the next couple seasons and Roy felt that MacKinnon on the third line for now was the best for his development, I'm not sure it's wise to change that right now. You can disagree that this is the best path for his growth, but if you assume that it is, as I believe Roy has, I think you keep MacKinnon on the third line for the time being.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
Well I just really hope Tanguay is okay, because Tangs-Stastny-Landy has been so amazing for us this season. Let's hope he's okay!!

I think MacK will play with Tangs and Stats If It's short-term.

Drury_Sakic

Jul 25, 2003
www.avalanchedb.com
If Tanguay is going to miss only a week or so...

O'Reilly-Duchene-McLeod
Lando-Stastny-Talbot
McGinn-Mac-PA
Mitchell-Cliché-Bords

McLeod CAN skate with the big boys over short stretches. While not an offensive force, he has a solid 2-way game and creates space. Over a short stretch I think you could use McLeod as sort of a Downie-lite player.

Talbot is poor mans Tanguay on the 2nd line. You keep that line as the D matchup line and Talbot gets to do what he does best and play the 2-way game.

The McGinn-Mac-PA unit was great together when healthy. The top two lines will draw a majority of the hard shifts, leaving the 3rd unit to clean house.

Mitchell does best when he is the lone offensive wolf on a line, which he would be with Brick Hands and Cliché.

If it is more than a week or two, I think you have to call Malone, Sgarbossa, or Olver up.

O'Reilly-Duchene-PA
Lando-Stastny-McGinn
Malone-Mac-Sgarbossa
McLeod-Mitchell-Bords

I would legitimately like to see a Malone-Mac-Sgarbossa line as the 3rd unit. Reminds me a ton of the Trupp-Malone-Frattin line that was so good at UND. Sgarbossa is the undersized but gifted forward (Trupp), Mac as the super talented all around player (Frattin), and Malone as the tough as nails sand paper.

Most likely we are going to see the easy choice of

O'Reilly-Duchene-PA
Lando-Stastny-Mac
McGinn-Mitchell-Talbot
McLeod-Cliché-Bords

with Mitchell/Talbot shifting in place of Mac situationally.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
When Roy moved up PAP in the third the other game that stuck so moving MacK up may stick as well especially since he scored. I don't know if I want MacK playing wing for say the rest of the year though. Him playing that third line wasn't getting the best of of him either. I see it both ways and in the past I have not been fond of the Mackinnon on wing idea but right now it just seems to make the most sense. McGinn moving up makes more sense than Mitchell, who is better moving up to do spot duty but if you take away McGinn then MacKinnon doesn't have much to work with. So for now I'd like to see MacKinnon on the Stastny line and we'll see how it goes.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
I wouldn't mind calling up Sgarbossa, let's see him when he's not playing with 4th line plugs. Either that or throw McLeod with Staz and Landy.

O'Reilly-Duchene-PA
Lando-Stastny-McGinn
Malone-Mac-Sgarbossa
McLeod-Mitchell-Bords

In this lineup, Talbot is scratched?

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Sgarbossa is injured (left the game but returned last week, didn't play this week), no clue how severe because Lake Erie does not release any semblance of information. I'd be surprised if any callup was not Malone.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto

O'Reilly-Duchene-McLeod
Lando-Stastny-Talbot
McGinn-Mac-PA
Mitchell-Cliché-Bords

McLeod CAN skate with the big boys over short stretches. While not an offensive force, he has a solid 2-way game and creates space. Over a short stretch I think you could use McLeod as sort of a Downie-lite player.

Talbot is poor mans Tanguay on the 2nd line. You keep that line as the D matchup line and Talbot gets to do what he does best and play the 2-way game.

The McGinn-Mac-PA unit was great together when healthy. The top two lines will draw a majority of the hard shifts, leaving the 3rd unit to clean house.

Mitchell does best when he is the lone offensive wolf on a line, which he would be with Brick Hands and Cliché.

If it is more than a week or two, I think you have to call Malone, Sgarbossa, or Olver up.

Roy seems to love Mitchell, I can't see Mitchell staying in fourth line, although that would be the most optimal (at least from my eyes.) Mitchell has been solid defensively this season, but he's so frustrating to watch offensively. He just keeps the puck till he loses it.. ARG!

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
Sgarbossa is injured (left the game but returned last week, didn't play this week), no clue how severe because Lake Erie does not release any semblance of information. I'd be surprised if any callup was not Malone.

Malone deserves his shot. Apparently he has played pretty well in AHL. He played also very well pre-season, so It would be logical choice, If someone is called up.

niwotsblessing

May 1, 2010
City of Holy Faith
O'Reilly-Duchene-PA
Lando-Stastny-MacK
McGinn-Malone-Talbot
McLeod-Mitchell-Bords

If Tanguay is out for a lengthy period of time bringing in Malone makes sense so we can see if he is an NHL caliber player. Roy loved him in camp, and I think he has 3rd line upside. Putting him with on a line with two vets would give him a chance to succeed, and would give us a tough 3rd line with some offensive upside.

MacKinnon in this scenario can find his offensive game, he is a shoot first player and just the type of winger that Stastny thrives with. That line would have crazy puck possession, and draw a lot of attention from other teams defense, giving Duchene & Co. more room to run roughshod over the opposition.

Bringing in Malone also sends a message to guys in LEM that they can work their way onto the Avs if they play well, and over time the Avs need to be able to bring in young players to augment the core and keep costs under control. Finally, Mitchell is an offensive back hole, leave him on the 4th line.

a mangy Meowth

Ross Colton Fan
Jun 21, 2012
Highlands Ranch, CO
O'Reilly - Duchene - Parenteau
Landeskog - Stastny - MacKinnon
McGinn - Mitchell - Talbot
McLeod - Cliche - Bordeleau

Also I think Barrie needs to play. I think we need to play him and teach him or we need to send him to Lake Erie but I hate seeing him get scratched every game. This is the one thing I don't agree with Roy on all year.

I do think if Tanguay's injury is serious (I really, really hope it isn't) that they will call someone up. Roy will want an extra forward and I'm not sure he'll continue playing Holden there.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
I wouldn't mind playing MacKinnon with Stastny and Landeskog. It would be interesting to see how he responds if playing on a line with more possession skill and he has to focus more on finding open ice and initiating physical contact to help get the puck/protect the puck.

If this means Avs switch back to a more traditional looking bottom six, it's fine. I'd probably prefer to put McGinn on the PP just to show that even if he's stuck on a more defensive line, the team knows he's got offense.

AvsfanJack

Jun 30, 2013
Windsor

O'Reilly-Duchene-McLeod
Lando-Stastny-Talbot
McGinn-Mac-PA
Mitchell-Cliché-Bords

Interesting thought with McLeod on the top line. Though it'll likely never,ever,ever,ever happen. It's good thinking out of the box.:nod:

AvsfanJack

Jun 30, 2013
Windsor
I wouldn't mind playing MacKinnon with Stastny and Landeskog. It would be interesting to see how he responds if playing on a line with more possession skill and he has to focus more on finding open ice and initiating physical contact to help get the puck/protect the puck.

If this means Avs switch back to a more traditional looking bottom six, it's fine. I'd probably prefer to put McGinn on the PP just to show that even if he's stuck on a more defensive line, the team knows he's got offense.

I honestly believe MacKinnon would just start tearing it up with them. He may be a pure scoring threat, but the last few games he's created some space and looked for someone to pass to and there hasnt been anyone skilled enough with him to get the pass. That would all change with Staz and Lando.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
If its a situation where Tanguay goes on iIR I'm sure Roy will call someone up. Holden at LW or Barrie as a 7th D was ok for one game. Honestly I like the thought of Malone better than Hejduk. I can't imagine Roy prefers Mitchell on the PP over McGinn. With Tanguay out both would have to play PP I guess. Unless this somehow gets Barrie in the lineup to use him on PP but I don't think Roy wants to sit any of his D. As I said before, I want to see what MacKinnon does with some elite talent but not sure he should play RW all year. For now though it may be the best thing for him and the team. Gets more ice time, scores more, sees more of the best competition, those things should help him.

AvsfanJack

Jun 30, 2013
Windsor
If its a situation where Tanguay goes on iIR I'm sure Roy will call someone up. Holden at LW or Barrie as a 7th D was ok for one game. Honestly I like the thought of Malone better than Hejduk. I can't imagine Roy prefers Mitchell on the PP over McGinn. With Tanguay out both would have to play PP I guess. Unless this somehow gets Barrie in the lineup to use him on PP but I don't think Roy wants to sit any of his D. As I said before, I want to see what MacKinnon does with some elite talent but not sure he should play RW all year. For now though it may be the best thing for him and the team. Gets more ice time, scores more, sees more of the best competition, those things should help him.

I'm sure Roy and Hejduk are good friends. With that being said, Roy is still smart enough to know what is best for his team. Hejduk has nothing left in the tank. A callup would happen before a call to Hejduk. If Malone get's the call, Mac on the wing would be best for him, and the team in my opinion. We would have to go back to the traditional third and fourth lines tho which isn't all that bad. Our third line would still be pretty good with McGinn-Mitchell-Malone?? The 3 M's. I wouldn't mind that too much.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I'd go with:

ROR-Duchene-PAP
Landy-Stastny-MacK
McGinn-Mitchell-Talbot
McLeod-Cliche/Malone-Bordy/Cliche
Malone/Bordy

Malone deserves the call up over everybody else right now.

AvsfanJack

Jun 30, 2013
Windsor
I'd go with:

ROR-Duchene-PAP
Landy-Stastny-MacK
McGinn-Mitchell-Talbot
McLeod-Cliche/Malone-Bordy/Cliche
Malone/Bordy

Malone deserves the call up over everybody else right now.

I like your lines, I'd probably just switch Mitchell and Malone. Only because I would wanna see if Malone can play with some better guys. It's hard to make an impression for a young prospect when you come up and play with the enforcers on the fourth line. Not much chance to succeed.

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
O'Reilly-Duchene-Parenteau
Landeskog-Stastny-MacKinnon
McGinn-Mitchell-Talbot
McLeod-Cliche-Bordeleau

PP1:

McGinn-Duchene-PAP
Benoit-O'Reilly

PP2:
Landeskog-Stastny-MacKinnon
EJ-Hejda

Or move PAP to Hejda's spot, and Mitchell gets some ice time. This is where Barrie would come in handy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad