What do the Sharks need to do to become a legit threat/cup contender again?

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Sharks entire top-6 was decimated by injuries against the Oilers. Sharks hung in that series and actually outplayed Edm for decent stretches.

The Sharks don't rely on speed, they rely on puck movement, possession and execution. They dominated that in the first 3 rounds against La, Nsh and Stl and lost all 3 phases to Pittsburgh. Not because they were too slow, but because the Pens forwards were great at disrupting their timing.

So good... don't focus on speed and you won't be able to beat teams that do. Then you have nothing to worry about because you won't touch the Cup unless you get lucky and dodge those teams who are switching to younger/faster.

Signing Thornton and PM would be bad. Time to move on and grow from youth. It's not even rebuilding. You have plenty of great players to keep it going.

Nashology

Dec 21, 2006
So good... don't focus on speed and you won't be able to beat teams that do. Then you have nothing to worry about because you won't touch the Cup unless you get lucky and dodge those teams who are switching to younger/faster.

Signing Thornton and PM would be bad. Time to move on and grow from youth. It's not even rebuilding. You have plenty of great players to keep it going.

Best advice yet.

Sharks do not need a rebuild... they need a retooling.

Couture, Hertl, Pavelski, Vlasic, Burns, Braun, Jones

They still have a solid core.

They need to go out and sign/trade some top 6 forwards though.

If you keep JT/PM you still CAN contend. They could sneak into a final IMO. They will not be a favourite though to do so.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008

Teams with less speed have defeated faster teams in the playoffs many times. If you execute and get a speedy team out of position, then you can exploit their speed for your benefit. It's not as simple as fastest team equals best team.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Fast teams doesn't always mean best teams. Teams with less speed have defeated faster teams in the playoffs many times. If you execute and get a speedy team out of position, then you can exploit their speed for your benefit. It's not as simple as fastest team equals best team.

Exactly a team full of torrey mitchell is not going to beat a team full of joe thorntons.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Teams with less speed have defeated faster teams in the playoffs many times. If you execute and get a speedy team out of position, then you can exploit their speed for your benefit. It's not as simple as fastest team equals best team.

I'll tell you what - if you get beat again by a fast team in the playoffs, send me a PM and i'll explain how the Sharks should re-tool. You don't need all fast guys. Speed, skill, youth, depth. Stop wasting money on JT/PM at this point. Let them go. Use that money elsewhere. Don't get stupid vets like Washington does is Winnik. Thank God guys like Wingels are gone. Let the youth take over.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
I'll tell you what - if you get beat again by a fast team in the playoffs, send me a PM and i'll explain how the Sharks should re-tool. You don't need all fast guys. Speed, skill, youth, depth. Stop wasting money on JT/PM at this point. Let them go. Use that money elsewhere. Don't get stupid vets like Washington does is Winnik. Thank God guys like Wingels are gone. Let the youth take over.

You keep talking about getting faster, then suggest we give up on one of our fastest players. So is it getting younger or getting faster? Getting younger doesn't mean getting faster.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
You keep talking about getting faster, then suggest we give up on one of our fastest players. So is it getting younger or getting faster? Getting younger doesn't mean getting faster.

No.. go right ahead. Sign PM and Joe to a 3 year deal each. It will go really well for your team. That makes way more sense, right?

I know it sucks, but players get old. It will happen with Crosby/Malkin one day. You can't keep signing guys like them. You have a great group right now to build around. Get rid of the old guys.

Kannu

Jul 23, 2006
Erie,Pa.
Like 2 or 3 top five picks in a span of 5 years or less

Kinda like how CHI and PIT built their squads

Especially if your drafting record is as hideous as San Jose. No impast players since Coyle and Couture. You gotta hit on a few 2nd and 3rds. Pittsburgh has.

Zarzh

Jun 30, 2015
Fast scoring winger. Either extremely fast finesse, or fast power winger.

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
No.. go right ahead. Sign PM and Joe to a 3 year deal each. It will go really well for your team. That makes way more sense, right?

I know it sucks, but players get old. It will happen with Crosby/Malkin one day. You can't keep signing guys like them. You have a great group right now to build around. Get rid of the old guys.

Except we have no youth to build off of.....

We need to retool if we keep them, but DW is the king of optimism. But getting rid of them will set us back a great deal.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012

No, what I'm saying is that you're very unclear. Getting younger doesn't necessarily mean getting faster. I can understand getting faster, but to suggest a team should lose their older (extremely fast) players just for the sake of getting younger is totally asinine.

You're horribly inconsistent and seemingly out of touch with what you're actually trying to argue. Don't get so offended when someone calls you on it.

Kale Hulls

May 15, 2013
They aren't even in trouble. They will make the playoffs next year and once you are in anything can happen.

Nighthock

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jul 25, 2007
Nevada
Better/more consistent drafting in early rounds. Doo-doo rolls down from the top. There's no magic wand to put them over the top.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
The only way they would've likely had a great start to their franchises history would be to end up being the team who had the first overall pick in 1991 and take Eric Lindros.

Now, I would say have every single position filled up with the right players and have a forceful player like McDavid.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad