What do the Sharks need to do to become a legit threat/cup contender again?

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
Like 2 or 3 top five picks in a span of 5 years or less

Kinda like how CHI and PIT built their squads

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa
latest

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
They have been contenders for the last what 10 years for the most part... I think their window is pretty much closed, not sure they have the assets to make the improvements needed, nor do they have the talent in their own system to put the team to that level.

If they lose thornton and marleau to free agency, that will be the end of their window.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Losing Thornton and Marleau will likely be the end of their window. They definitely had a long run. Since Joe joined the squad in 05/06 they only missed the playoffs once. That is a heck of a run.

Ultimately they have to make a decision if they lose their two cornerstones. Whether they want to try and build on the fly or go full rebuild. Guys like Martin, Pavelski, Vlasic and Burns could help them facilitate an epic rebuild. The Leafs did it in some years where good talent was available. The next few drafts look really strong and grabbing a multitude of those guys could really help them. They can also hold onto a few guys like Couture to help be leaders on the fresh youth movement. Plus they have some solid youth like Meier, Chartier, Gregor, Roy, Norris, Ferraro, Reedy, Chmelevski and Chekhovich that can be solid players surrounding a fresh new core of superstars.
Building on the fly will be tough but it means they get to hold onto their current group of stars.

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
I mean losing Thornton and Marleau means a rebuild no matter what. Our youth is alright, our veterans are only getting older. We weren't prepared for something like this and we are now playing for it

The only things I'm confident in right now is our defense up front with guys like Vladic and Burns, and our goaltending in Jones.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I mean losing Thornton and Marleau means a rebuild no matter what. Our youth is alright, our veterans are only getting older. We weren't prepared for something like this and we are now playing for it

The only things I'm confident in right now is our defense up front with guys like Vladic and Burns, and our goaltending in Jones.

They def have a solid blue line and goalie situation and they have some good forwards but without thornton and marleau I'm not sure they can replace the talent/production.

In system they have some alright guys but nothing that really will replace that kind of output/leadership etc, and I don't think they have any real high valued assets to trade for a piece that could... a rebuild might be best thing for them, they can def make a few moves and be a playoff team for a lil while longer but eventually its going to get ugly.

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
Giving Burns that contract is brutal, Basically a NTC. They are stuck with him.

If Thornton/Marleau are gone they should trade Vlasic and Couture sooner rather than later but they ALSO have NTCs. They are screwed. They have almost no tradable assets.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
They're in tough against Edmonton, Anaheim and Calgary in the Pacific, and the Pacific is in tough next season to get 4 teams back into the playoffs.

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
They def have a solid blue line and goalie situation and they have some good forwards but without thornton and marleau I'm not sure they can replace the talent/production.

In system they have some alright guys but nothing that really will replace that kind of output/leadership etc, and I don't think they have any real high valued assets to trade for a piece that could... a rebuild might be best thing for them, they can def make a few moves and be a playoff team for a lil while longer but eventually its going to get ugly.

Exactly. I mean Pavelski and Couture are good players in their own right, but they aren't the talents that we need to drive a team. And are young guys haven't proven anything yet.

Honestly, this is classic DW. He has never been a great GM, and now we are in a situation that IMO could have been avoided.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Offersheet Draisaitl. Resign Thornton.

It would make sense imo to offersheet draisaitl... they don't do that great in the 1st round anyway, specially if they lost marleau and thornton in the offseason.

Couture/drai is a pretty good 1 -2 punch going forward.

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
Losing Thornton and Marleau will likely be the end of their window. They definitely had a long run. Since Joe joined the squad in 05/06 they only missed the playoffs once. That is a heck of a run.

Ultimately they have to make a decision if they lose their two cornerstones. Whether they want to try and build on the fly or go full rebuild. Guys like Martin, Pavelski, Vlasic and Burns could help them facilitate an epic rebuild. The Leafs did it in some years where good talent was available. The next few drafts look really strong and grabbing a multitude of those guys could really help them. They can also hold onto a few guys like Couture to help be leaders on the fresh youth movement. Plus they have some solid youth like Meier, Chartier, Gregor, Roy, Norris, Ferraro, Reedy, Chmelevski and Chekhovich that can be solid players surrounding a fresh new core of superstars.
Building on the fly will be tough but it means they get to hold onto their current group of stars.

Perfectly stated

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad