What do the Sabres Need to Become a Good Team?

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
To stop hogging top picks and start maximizing the talent of their picks by getting rid of deadweight players and staff
I feel like like hogging high end players would be a good thing. That way we have them and other teams don't have them.

Agreed on getting rid of the deadweight though.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
A goalie who doesn't suck.

Probably 2 more good dmen depending on McCabe and how be continues.

Depth. They need some non-high 1st round picks to ban out and become a surprise by being at least a good 3rd liner.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
A couple of forwards, a good D-Man, and a legit Goalie, and Buffalo will be a good team. Of course, that's quite a lot to be needing so it'll take 2 years still. But then......they'll be looking good!!

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Depth. Better D and more consistent goaltending. They have the top C and D to build around. Now they have to build around those guys. I also see a lot of people wanting to ship out ROR. Which I think could be a mistake at this point. Maybe if they didn’t win the first pick I would have traded him. I think you need a bigger center on the team like him if you want your team to be more successful in the playoffs. I would look to dump other salary that isn’t helping your team. ROR can be a dominant player when he’s on. I would keep him.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
This board always tells me how great the Sabres are about to be, so nothing I guess.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Sabres need accountability and less excuses. They were a much better team on paper than they showed.

Lampedampe

Feb 26, 2015
A better goalie will go a long way, it's too bad that Lehner lacks the temperament otherwise he'd be a decent starter. He has all the fundamentals and athletesism down.

But looking at the goalie market, who is really available that's also a clear cut upgrade? Trade for grubauer perhaps?

Maybe sign Mrazek as a back up and hope he gets his shit together.

I wouldn't worry about defense, Dahlin will do wonders to that defense a couple of years from now. He'll take the 1# mantle and everyone else will get ice time and matchups that they're actually capable of.

Thenameless

Apr 29, 2014
Well, Dahlin is an awesome start. After that, let the team mesh and see where the adjustments have to be made around the young core players. Buffalo is in a pretty good place. As a Montreal fan, I'd easily trade rosters with Buffalo - be fun for a GM to build around that core for the next several years.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Well, Dahlin is an awesome start. After that, let the team mesh and see where the adjustments have to be made around the young core players. Buffalo is in a pretty good place. As a Montreal fan, I'd easily trade rosters with Buffalo - be fun for a GM to build around that core for the next several years.

I thought Eichel was the start

Reactions: jayhabsvgk

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Leaf fan complaining about other fans boasting about their team?
Sabres have gotten a lot more hype on this board than the Leafs have.
I feel like you’ve been holding on to that one for a while.

That hasn’t been said about this team in ages.
There actually was just a thread recently right after they won the lottery about how great theyw ill be.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
For them to be a playoff team next year, trade for Grubauer.

That aside, I don't see them in the playoff mix if they go into next season with the goaltending being ullmark/run of the mill UFA signing

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad