What do the Sabres Need to Become a Good Team?

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
With the caveat that I am a Canucks fan with good (but not perfect) knowledge of the rest of the league, I wanted to take a look at the Buffalo Sabres and attempt to figure out what they need to do to get back into the playoffs.

Forwards:

LW- Eichel-Reinhart
LW-O'Reilly-Okposo
LW-Middlestadt-Rodriguez
Pouliot-Girgensons-Larsson

I'm happy to accept corrections from Sabres fans on Rodriguez and Larsson as I have only had limited viewings of each. But the way I see it, the Sabres have the potential for a really strong and dynamic centre core.

Centre:

1st line Centre Jack Eichel is exactly the type of centre you hope to build around. His floor seems to be like a Ryan Getzlaf who shoots more than he passes. O'Reilly is an incredible matchup centre who can beat you all around the ice. With good wingers he could be a first liner. I see Middlestadt as a soft-matchups offensive option for the first couple years of his career who will dine on third pairing D. And Girgensons has nonstop hustle and is a perfect 4th line center who always seemed like he would be more.

Right Wing:

Again, they seem good if not elite here. Reinhart showed himself to be a perfectly servicable 1st line winger during the latter half of the season putting up close to a point per game numbers for nearly half the season. Okposo is overpaid but is still a useful player and a smart playmaker who should be thriving with O'Reilly.
Rodriguez put up 25 points in 48 games this year and is young. I don't know a lot about his style of play but I would expect he could do well against soft matchups with Middlestadt. And Larsson seems like a decent energy player.

Left Wing:

It gets ugly here quickly. Please correct me if I'm wrong but I don't really see much quality in the top 6 here. I feel like these need to be filled externally or with prospects. And Pouliot is the definition of thrift store caviar. he does such amazing things when he wants to, but most of the time he either can't be arsed or misreads the play. He also takes a lot of ill-timed offensive zone penalties.

Defence:

LD-Ristolainen
Scandella-Dahlin
McCabe-Bogosian

I am choosing to put Risto on the top pairing because I imagine that the Sabres won't throw Dahlin to the wolves entirely until he proves he can take on the creme-de-la-creme, which I imagine he will do quickly. Ristolainen strikes me as being overrated in the same way as Phaneuf used to be because he puts up points on the PP and is in the highlight reel with hits. That said, I think he's a good player and he has been massively overplayed and under supported.
Dahlin is generational. Congrats you guys.
Scandella is a decent all around defenseman who I think fits better on the 2nd pairing ideally.

I'm under the impression that McCabe had a horrid horrid season. He seemed to be showing signs of promise before the last season. And Bogosian is one of the biggest wastes of money in the league. Constantly hurt and not entirely useful when he plays. I haven't even included Beaulieu because he is a tire fire.

Goaltending:

My sense is that Sabres fans are high on Linus Ullmark, though I don't know personally how justified that is. I mean genuinely that I don't know a lot about him, so I can't have a strong opinion on him. Lehner is a headcase and is the kind of goalie who can make a team unravel.

---

So the Sabres are really strong down the middle, fair on the right wing. Strong on the Right side of D.

However, they are horrific on the Left wing, and desperately missing a LD for the top pairing.

In net, Ullmark probably won't be ready to shoulder a large load until 2019, and so until then they may be hamstrung again.

All said, I see a lot of talent at key positions, yet I still doubt they make the playoffs next year (pending off season moves). What realistic 1 or 2 moves (or prospects) do you think could make the difference for them?

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Time, and for their prospects to actually turn into what they're expected to be. Also some holes that could be filled with free agent signings and whatnot. New goalies

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
- vets/core group can't keep underachieving, if we haven't got much positive to say about those guys at the end of the year it's another tire fire of a season

- get rid of dead weight like Pouliot and replace with hard workers and people who are determined to make the NHL

- hope the defense figures it out and plays with some confidence, the guys know Housley now which should make things a bit easier and Dahlin joining the team is obv. big

- don't be afraid to bench people who take games off, things won't get better if the every day work ethic isn't there, hammer that in their heads

- give the net to whoever plays the best, not based on name or status

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Fire Phail Housley and hire a credible and competent coach to replace him. Come home Lindsey, all is forgiven!!!

Reactions: bukwas

Shootica

Jan 17, 2013
Utica, NY
A couple small corrections...

Pouliot is a free agent and isn't coming back, no reason to have him in the proposed lineup.

If both Larsson and Girgensons are in the lineup, it'll likely be with Larsson at center and Girgensons playing LW. Both because Larsson is better at center and because, as you mentioned, we're in desperate need of LW help.

Also, you mention Eichel as being a shoot before pass kinda guy - he really isn't. He's definitely more of a playmaker, and would benefit greatly from having Linares that could actually finish some of the golden chances he sets up.

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
With the caveat that I am a Canucks fan with good (but not perfect) knowledge of the rest of the league, I wanted to take a look at the Buffalo Sabres and attempt to figure out what they need to do to get back into the playoffs.

Forwards:

LW- Eichel-Reinhart
LW-O'Reilly-Okposo
LW-Middlestadt-Rodriguez
Pouliot-Girgensons-Larsson

I'm happy to accept corrections from Sabres fans on Rodriguez and Larsson as I have only had limited viewings of each. But the way I see it, the Sabres have the potential for a really strong and dynamic centre core.

Centre:

1st line Centre Jack Eichel is exactly the type of centre you hope to build around. His floor seems to be like a Ryan Getzlaf who shoots more than he passes. O'Reilly is an incredible matchup centre who can beat you all around the ice. With good wingers he could be a first liner. I see Middlestadt as a soft-matchups offensive option for the first couple years of his career who will dine on third pairing D. And Girgensons has nonstop hustle and is a perfect 4th line center who always seemed like he would be more.

Right Wing:

Again, they seem good if not elite here. Reinhart showed himself to be a perfectly servicable 1st line winger during the latter half of the season putting up close to a point per game numbers for nearly half the season. Okposo is overpaid but is still a useful player and a smart playmaker who should be thriving with O'Reilly.
Rodriguez put up 25 points in 48 games this year and is young. I don't know a lot about his style of play but I would expect he could do well against soft matchups with Middlestadt. And Larsson seems like a decent energy player.

Left Wing:

It gets ugly here quickly. Please correct me if I'm wrong but I don't really see much quality in the top 6 here. I feel like these need to be filled externally or with prospects. And Pouliot is the definition of thrift store caviar. he does such amazing things when he wants to, but most of the time he either can't be arsed or misreads the play. He also takes a lot of ill-timed offensive zone penalties.

Defence:

LD-Ristolainen
Scandella-Dahlin
McCabe-Bogosian

I am choosing to put Risto on the top pairing because I imagine that the Sabres won't throw Dahlin to the wolves entirely until he proves he can take on the creme-de-la-creme, which I imagine he will do quickly. Ristolainen strikes me as being overrated in the same way as Phaneuf used to be because he puts up points on the PP and is in the highlight reel with hits. That said, I think he's a good player and he has been massively overplayed and under supported.
Dahlin is generational. Congrats you guys.
Scandella is a decent all around defenseman who I think fits better on the 2nd pairing ideally.

I'm under the impression that McCabe had a horrid horrid season. He seemed to be showing signs of promise before the last season. And Bogosian is one of the biggest wastes of money in the league. Constantly hurt and not entirely useful when he plays. I haven't even included Beaulieu because he is a tire fire.

Goaltending:

My sense is that Sabres fans are high on Linus Ullmark, though I don't know personally how justified that is. I mean genuinely that I don't know a lot about him, so I can't have a strong opinion on him. Lehner is a headcase and is the kind of goalie who can make a team unravel.

---

So the Sabres are really strong down the middle, fair on the right wing. Strong on the Right side of D.

However, they are horrific on the Left wing, and desperately missing a LD for the top pairing.

In net, Ullmark probably won't be ready to shoulder a large load until 2019, and so until then they may be hamstrung again.

All said, I see a lot of talent at key positions, yet I still doubt they make the playoffs next year (pending off season moves). What realistic 1 or 2 moves (or prospects) do you think could make the difference for them?
I always find it funny that as soon as Casey started playing he got better linemates than Eichel had most of the year in Reinhart and Rodriguez who were with Eichel before they got hurt and they were actually a formidable lineup to deal with. Rodriguez is actually pretty good and possibly could get much better than people would like to give him credit for.

I have almost zero hope for Bogosian on defense even on the third pair, Sabres need to fix that during the offseason. Okposo was a lot worse than the points would indicate but he kind of looked back to his former self in the last 10 or so games so maybe there is hope. Sabres should really keep Antipin who is definitely capable of playing on the 3rd pair but the coaches don't like him even though he plays well when given the chance.

Eichel definitely isn't a shoot first kind of guy.

Last edited:

Royal Thunder

Frolunda Mode
Feb 21, 2012
Goaltending

Forward depth and speed, can't win playing guys like Pominville Pouliot and Nolan every night

A couple more legit NHL D, at least one who is top 4

Coaching - jury is still very much out on Housley, this year will be telling

Sabresruletheschool

Jul 16, 2012
Buffalo needs 2 quality top 6 LW'ers, 1 quality RW'er and need Okposo to play like a top 6 forward, a top pairing defenceman (or at least a top 4), and a goalie. They need to lose the dead weight veterans in the bottom 6 and get some hard playing vets that can skate. They need a system that doesn't make everyone look lost every time a team enters the zone and cycles the puck.

Ryuji Yamazaki

Do yuu undastahn!?
Jul 22, 2015
Well now that I have given my sarcastic answer and we have established that you don't know what you are talking about, we can get on with more serious discussion.

I don’t think having a lazy “superstar” is the best way to build your team. But good luck with it.

Reactions: Twinsmagic

Calad

Section 422
Jul 24, 2011
Long Island
Some consistent coaching and a little development. They're still a young team and learning. A steady goalie would be a big help too

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00