What do the Sabres Need to Become a Good Team?

Sansbacon

Sep 26, 2006
Westchester, NY
I think if Buffalo really plans on improving, they need to look at how the Leafs organization turned things around, and frequently talk about that organization’s draft picks, trades, FA signings, etc., then that’ll put them in the right direction. Maybe Housley should give Babcock a ring and just listen to him eat lunch as well :laugh:

So many Leaf fans have Trump-like personalities and always steer the conversation to themselves and their team.

edit- to get back on point, we need to add a stable, minute eating defenseman to this d core, find some decent left wingers, and hit on one of our euro prospects that are coming over this year. Even if they need some time in the ahl to develop.

Last edited:

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
They have some strong young players and will be adding another one in Dahlin soon. I think they need to surround that core with some quality reliable vets. ROR is a good start there but especially the blue line could use a rock. I know making a FA splash hasn't panned out so great in many cases for the Sabres but they should be looking to do so again this year.

Housley definitely seemed over his head in his first year. I guess they have to hope for him to improve as well.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
?/

Burn it down rebuilds, if done right can be done quickly case in point Toronto.

In 2015 they burnt this team to the ground, out went David Clarkson, Cody Franson, Phil Kessel, Dion fllowed the next season and by 2017 they were in the playoffs.

Burn it down rebuilds don't need to be ugly nor take forever
I think the Sabres rushed the rebuild. I thought Kane was way too early and too young for leadership as an example.
Toronto's philosophy was simple...
You play until someone takes your job.
Picking up a vet work workhorse like Marleau doesn't hurt.
If you aren't playing right, you get demoted.
Do not rush prospects.
Be lucky

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
I think the Sabres rushed the rebuild. I thought Kane was way too early and too young for leadership as an example.
Toronto's philosophy was simple...
You play until someone takes your job.
Picking up a vet work workhorse like Marleau doesn't hurt.
If you aren't playing right, you get demoted.
Do not rush prospects.
Be lucky

Scrap all of that. The answer is simpler

1. Find competent management top to bottom.
2. Sign people and flip them for picks, barely but not quite circumvent cap rules and collect salaries for picks. Stockpiling free picks is never a bad idea.

I applaud the Leafs for their work in this area It helped build depth which is what Buffalo needs.

sufferer

Dec 6, 2017
Eichel is not a shoot-first player.
He was top 30 in shots this year (more than Laine, Staal, Benn) despite missing 15 games and and top 20 last year despite missing 21 games. He's a quite balanced player in this regard and will take the shot if he has an opening (playing with trash amplifies this a bit as they tend to botch tap-in goals).

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
I’d love to know why mods don’t delete any post that has to do with any team other than the Sabres and what they need this off season and beyond to be successful. You know, the point of the thread :dunno:
Kinda weird.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
I’d love to know why mods don’t delete any post that has to do with any team other than the Sabres and what they need this off season and beyond to be successful. You know, the point of the thread :dunno:
Kinda weird.

That would be a ridiculous amount of work added for the mods.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad