What do the Flyers have in Jay O’Brien?

Flukeshot

Briere Activate!
Sponsor
Feb 19, 2004
Brampton, Ont
O'Brien seems like a boom or bust type prospect. I feel like the flyers got their guy in Farabee and then figured they can take the risk given their prospect pool.

I know very little about NCAA hockey. How does providence rank as a team and how tough will their in conference competition be? Aka how should I view O'Briens numbers this upcoming season and what pt production should we expect to see to call it a good year?

David St Hubbins

Well, you're not as confused as he is.
Jan 24, 2016
Deskfront, facing WSW
More like it adds some "herb" to the discussion, if you know what I mean. :naughty: What I mean is marijuana.
You-Got-It-Dude-Jesus-meme.jpg

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Quibbling over the phrasing in the title of an article? Never change people of Hfboards, never change.
I've seen quibbling on here before (like when someone dared to ask the name of someone's father or something like that after the draft and HFboards was disgusted). I think this is just a joke, not actual criticism of the article title.

TB87

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
May 30, 2018
I've seen quibbling on here before (like when someone dared to ask the name of someone's father or something like that after the draft and HFboards was disgusted). I think this is just a joke, not actual criticism of the article title.

I know! It was just funny that the first few responses were jokes about the titles phrasing. Quibble was referring to their play on words, not its use as a form of criticism.

wasup

Mar 21, 2018
I don't know how I was unaware Jack Dugan (LW), a 2017 5th round re-entry pick by VGK, was going to Providence this season. He might've been the best player in the USHL last year, even if it was his age 19 season. First year in the USHL though. I watched him on Chicago when scouting McLaughlin, and Dugan just popped with his NHL tools. Big, fast, skilled. Now, that's a high quality linemate right there to grow alongside. If he was a Flyers prospect, we'd be all over him as a sleeper.
They have 10 NHL draft picks on that team and that does not include Foley who left to go to Minnesota he was traded there from Winnipeg in the Stastny deal

Danko

You have no marbles
Jul 28, 2004
Candy which Hak gets to beat out with a stick or 50/50 tickets.

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
There's really not much point speculating about O'Brien at this point, the summer U20 "Scrimmages" will give a few clues, but the key is how he holds up as a college freshman against 19-23 year old players - that's when we'll get a good read.

It's why it's easier to see Lycksell as a prospect than Cates, no matter how you look against 16-19 year olds, or in juniors against 17-20 year olds, there's still a question of whether it translates (unless of course you're so good it's obvious you're wasting your time) against "men."

I think Farabee and O'Brien are similar to Frost, you know there's talent there, you just don't know how much talent until they break out.
Once they play bigger stronger players we'll find more out. Muscle is the key and power. Frost was rolling along until the big boys in the 3rd round showed up then he was all of a sudden tired. No shit he wasn't strong enough to make on just skill. 4 yrs.

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018
O'Brien seems like a boom or bust type prospect. I feel like the flyers got their guy in Farabee and then figured they can take the risk given their prospect pool.

I know very little about NCAA hockey. How does providence rank as a team and how tough will their in conference competition be? Aka how should I view O'Briens numbers this upcoming season and what pt production should we expect to see to call it a good year?

O'Brien seems relatively safe to me.

Providence lost to Notre Dame in the Frozen Four. The winning goal was scored in the final 30 seconds, so Providence was pretty close to the semis. Not sure about turnover from last season.

Just checked on the players leaving Providence: Foley, Pinho, Davis--the two leading scorers (and a depth forward?). As for incoming players, Dugan is on the older side for a freshman, so he could pick up some of the slack. O'Brien could be productive, but it's probably too optimistic to pencil him in for around a PPG as a freshman.

Last edited:

TB87

May 30, 2018

Providence lost to Notre Dame in the Frozen Four. The winning goal was scored in the final 30 seconds, so Providence was pretty close to the semis. Not sure about turnover from last season.

Just checked on the players leaving Providence: Foley, Pinho, Davis--the two leading scorers (and a depth forward?). As for incoming players, Dugan is on the older side for a freshman, so he could pick up some of the slack. O'Brien could be productive, but it's probably too optimistic to pencil him in for around a PPG as a freshman.

He already plays the game at a faster pace than Frost does. He's a fast skater and processes things quickly. There will be an adjustment period for sure in college. I'll remain optimistic on his ability until proven otherwise (& I hope the latter never becomes a reality).

Reactions: Young Sandwich

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
They have 10 NHL draft picks on that team and that does not include Foley who left to go to Minnesota he was traded there from Winnipeg in the Stastny deal

Yes, but as was said, most of them are low ceiling players. Mirageas is the best talent remaining on the roster, and he's on defense. Often some of the best point producers in college hockey are older, undrafted players anyway. Being drafted and being an offensive threat in college don't have to be one in the same. Providence is not a team deep in scoring talent. O'Brien and Dugan headline a solid freshman class though on that front. Maybe Mikael Hakkarainen could be another.

You mean a hard-working, intelligent, skilled, versatile center/wing isn't boom or bust?

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
It would be interesting to see how the Flyers ranked players on their board, but something tells me Farabee and O'Brien were near the top in hockey IQ. Seems to be a Hextall theme lately.
One advantage is as the team adds depth, these are the guys who can adjust to playing in the bottom six and don't need to score to have value, much like a younger Couts.
Because time on the top 6 and the PP1 is going to become awfully scarce.

TB87

May 30, 2018
Bob McKenzie had him ranked 34th. He went 19th. Definition of boom or bust. Adam Ginning on the other hand...SOLID.

I’m curious why people like Ginning. When I watch him play his puck skills are so subpar it appears that he treats the puck like it’s a grenade....exits are an issue and that’s not ideal in today’s speedy NHL. There is nothing wrong with defense-first defenseman. There is something wrong with defense-first defenseman who can’t handle the puck. Can’t always rely on your partner to handle the puck on exits. Flyers already have two defenseman who are puck illiterate in Gudas and Hagg. Forcing changes of possession in the NZ is nice if you can’t handle the puck...but Ginning rarely does that (if at all). He’s a defenseman made for a different era in the NHL. Still puzzled by this pick.

Reactions: Rebels57

TB87

May 30, 2018
Well, he is 18, maybe the scouts think he can improve?

The scouts could definitely be right about him. I’ll be glad if he turns out to be a valuable NHL contributor

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad