What do the Flyers have in Jay O’Brien?

tymed

Jun 11, 2007
British Columbia
OB is a beast with the puck. I'm happy to have him play at center as far as he can make it but imagine at some point he moves over to the wing. All I've seen of him are the shift by shifts on YT. His defensive zone work was fine but didn't stand out at all to me, wasn't really a fan tbh. With the puck on his stick, however, the kid is a bit of a wizard. I don't remember a lot of dekes but still displayed high end control. He's got that patience and poise with the puck that many players don't. Creativity stands out in his playmaking. His skating will continue to tighten up but it's already all there; speed, quickness, agility, technique. Hard to say much about his shot but seems to score in a similar way to Frosty, by getting solid/accurate wristers through traffic when the goalies' eyes aren't directly on it. Really exciting prospect to have. Seems up there with Frost in terms of comfort/confidence in possession.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
OB is a beast with the puck. I'm happy to have him play at center as far as he can make it but imagine at some point he moves over to the wing. All I've seen of him are the shift by shifts on YT. His defensive zone work was fine but didn't stand out at all to me, wasn't really a fan tbh. With the puck on his stick, however, the kid is a bit of a wizard. I don't remember a lot of dekes but still displayed high end control. He's got that patience and poise with the puck that many players don't. Creativity stands out in his playmaking. His skating will continue to tighten up but it's already all there; speed, quickness, agility, technique. Hard to say much about his shot but seems to score in a similar way to Frosty, by getting solid/accurate wristers through traffic when the goalies' eyes aren't directly on it. Really exciting prospect to have.

His edgework is not notch, and his speed is going to be something we desperately need. He reminds me of the Center version of Konecny. At 14 and 19 i waanted an elite skater and thought Kupari was the best skater at those picks. Looks like O'brien may be in his class and that is saying something. I am liking this pick more and more but Id much rather see him in the ohl than providence. Providence has no track record of producing top tier talent, and i am worried that a freshman is coming in, is not g0ing to get the time and special teams play he needs to develop. College can be great for some bad for others. If o'brien was built like farabee i would want him in college, but from everything i have seen O'brien is a physical speciment, he just needs more exposure to better competition.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
I’m curious why people like Ginning. When I watch him play his puck skills are so subpar it appears that he treats the puck like it’s a grenade....exits are an issue and that’s not ideal in today’s speedy NHL. There is nothing wrong with defense-first defenseman. There is something wrong with defense-first defenseman who can’t handle the puck. Can’t always rely on your partner to handle the puck on exits. Flyers already have two defenseman who are puck illiterate in Gudas and Hagg. Forcing changes of possession in the NZ is nice if you can’t handle the puck...but Ginning rarely does that (if at all). He’s a defenseman made for a different era in the NHL. Still puzzled by this pick.
Because he was ranked fairly high by scouting services and instead of saying they have never seen him play, they will just blindly defend the pick.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Because he was ranked fairly high by scouting services and instead of saying they have never seen him play, they will just blindly defend the pick.

I dunno, do the Flyers have a good track record of drafting players the last four years?

captainpaxil

Dec 2, 2008
I really like what ive read of obrien and i can't wait to see him at the wjc. This is a kid who was the absolute best player in his league and liked that. He wanted the defensive spotlight on him. I like what that says about his mentality. I like the jump to college for him too as it may allow him to continue the trend. I love farabee but i think job could possibly have the higher upside

kostas

Jul 18, 2018
i think it's good to take a shot at pick 19. This reminds me of the time that Kyle Turris was coming out of some low-level league. Turris ended up going 3rd in the draft and hasn't exactly lit the nhl on fire. So basically the risk at 19 is worth it in my opinion. It seemed the draft dropped off in prospect level, right after the flyers grabbed Farabee. These guys will always be a problem to scout as long as they don't play major junior or college hockey

Dux917

Feb 22, 2018
He had 2 goals yesterday in the USA's loss to Canada in the World Junior Summer showcase. Was named player of the game for the U.S. He looked very fast out there - and played with a bit of an "edge".

Have to think he has very good chance of making the final team for the World Junior tourney this winter.

Reactions: Rebels57

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad