Speculation: What do the 2024/25 Flames look like?

Errol Swaghammer

Sep 1, 2011
Any chance Kadri gets traded this offseason? Is his contract tradeable? He has a long deal, but he had very good season, especially after the slow start with fairly pedestrian linemates.

Nov 24, 2017
Calgary, Alberta
Hopefully we can move Coleman while his value is high, and take what we can get for Markstrom.
Preferably resign Kuzmenko and trade Backs if he wants to chase a cup at the deadline.

Would be hopeful to start the year like this:

Mangiapane-Kadri-Kuzmenko
Huberdeau-Sharangovich-Pelletier
Zary-Backlund-Coronato
Klapka-Rooney-Pospisil

Weegar-Mironmanov
Kylington-Andersson
Solovyov-Pachal

Wolf
Vladar

joescores

Mar 21, 2011
I don't need to state enough anymore that I am not a fan of Wolf, so I think he will be a great tank commander next year and we will go for the top 5 draft. He will be closely followed by certain Mr Rooney, who will be Wolf's deputy, so to answer the thread question- we will be bottom dwellers most likely (and not just because of Wolf and Rooney) but I will still watch and cheer, however already noticed the main detriments in Wolf, Rooney, Hunt, Duehr, closely monitoring Miromanov as he doesn't do enough but will give him a longer leash. Also not enough group is filled in by Mangiapane, Pelletier, Kylington, Vladar, Pachal, Huberdeau, Backlund's body seems to be checking out...

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
Hopefully we can move Coleman while his value is high, and take what we can get for Markstrom.
Preferably resign Kuzmenko and trade Backs if he wants to chase a cup at the deadline.

Would be hopeful to start the year like this:

Mangiapane-Kadri-Kuzmenko
Huberdeau-Sharangovich-Pelletier
Zary-Backlund-Coronato
Klapka-Rooney-Pospisil

Weegar-Mironmanov
Kylington-Andersson
Solovyov-Pachal

Wolf
Vladar

Like this but kind of want to develop Zary as a center

Reactions: GreatDayforHockey

Errol Swaghammer

Sep 1, 2011
Kadri is going nowhere, but here. He has been worth every penny of his contract and I don't see any reason why he won't give value for the duration of the contract.

True. I can see him having a Pavelski like aging curve. He's had his two best seasons at age 31 and 33.

SlovakFlame

Nov 14, 2022
People are too obsessed with picks. Re-sign Kuzmenko & Sharangovich, trade Mangi, Marky. Sign veteran defenceman and goaltender (both UFA).

Reactions: joescores

RasmusAndersson

Oct 19, 2013
Kadri is going nowhere, but here. He has been worth every penny of his contract and I don't see any reason why he won't give value for the duration of the contract.
I mean you could argue that he'll defy the aging curve and maintain this level of play (or even a top-6 calibre level of play) until he's 38, which I doubt he will based on years of aging-curve data on thousands of players, but to say you don't see any reason why he would lose his positive value (relative to his contract) is just intentional ignorance.

I've loved and respected Kadri for the way he's put his best foot forward this season and taken a big leadership role on our team, but I would strongly consider moving him at some point in the next 2-3 years before the heavy regression sets in. I wouldn't do it now or even next year, because he brings a lot of value to our team now, but we need to be proactive and manage our expectations while building our asset pool. Like Vegas with Rielly Smith or many other players. Kadri is great, but lets not fool ourselves into thinking a 37-year-old Kadri will be a good top-6C on a playoff team (nevermind contender).

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
A 7 million AAV in 2024-25 is not the same as a 7 million AAV in 2027-28. Pretty good chance the cap will be up near or over 100 million by then. If the Flames are still relying on Kadri to be a reliable top 6 center by then something will have gone terribly wrong in the rebuild.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I think it depends; in terms of roster.
We win the lotto, the team will look a lot different versus if we don't.

It's actually pretty crazy, if the Flames finish 10th, they'll have a 7% chance at a top 2 pick.
If they finish 8th that goes up to 12%; which while it doesn't seem like a lot, almost doubles the chance.

So, let's say 9 just to be in the middle:

5% chance:

Huberdeau - Celebrini - Sharangovich
Posposil - Kadri - Kuzmenko
Zary - Backlund - Coleman
Coronato - Rooney - Jabroni

Weegar - Andersson
Kylington - Some Vet they sign
Some combinations of Russians

95% Chance:

You're essentially going to look at it tonight, and then move some bodies around and add in a vet or two.

Boomstick

Oct 29, 2003
St. Catharines, Ontario
Visit site
Good question. I have no idea. There will be more turnover in the summer I'm guessing. Maybe a few surprises out of training camp.
Here's a question for people smarter than I am. Are any first round picks in this upcoming draft ready for the NHL day 1?

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
Good question. I have no idea. There will be more turnover in the summer I'm guessing. Maybe a few surprises out of training camp.
Here's a question for people smarter than I am. Are any first round picks in this upcoming draft ready for the NHL day 1?
Besides Celebrini, I can think of two (maybe). Silayev is obviously ready from a size standpoint, also helps that he played KHL to ease that transition. Helenius also played in a men’s league and has a fairly well-rounded game.

In all honesty though, it’s likely only Celebrini. The other two might be passable NHL’ers already, but I don’t think it would be good for their development to do so.

Reactions: Boomstick

joescores

Mar 21, 2011
I think it depends; in terms of roster.
We win the lotto, the team will look a lot different versus if we don't.

It's actually pretty crazy, if the Flames finish 10th, they'll have a 7% chance at a top 2 pick.
If they finish 8th that goes up to 12%; which while it doesn't seem like a lot, almost doubles the chance.

So, let's say 9 just to be in the middle:

5% chance:

Huberdeau - Celebrini - Sharangovich
Posposil - Kadri - Kuzmenko
Zary - Backlund - Coleman
Coronato - Rooney - Jabroni

Weegar - Andersson
Kylington - Some Vet they sign
Some combinations of Russians

95% Chance:

You're essentially going to look at it tonight, and then move some bodies around and add in a vet or two.
With Ottawa and Montreal currently winning, this is why I am so mad about our Ws against Sharks and Coyotes last week- we could sit in the 5th position from the bottom today. Idiots.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
I never expected to go 3-17, we are something like 5-13 or something since the deadline which is still pretty good (in reference to tanking), we got ourselves into the top 8/9. The team next year is pretty much the same as it was post-TDL and like I've mentioned a ton because it's relevant, but the team is one of the tops in the league in 3rd period comebacks, cut that in half to the NHL regular we're fighting with Columbus.

Old guys will only get older.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I never expected to go 3-17, we are something like 5-13 or something since the deadline which is still pretty good (in reference to tanking), we got ourselves into the top 8/9. The team next year is pretty much the same as it was post-TDL and like I've mentioned a ton because it's relevant, but the team is one of the tops in the league in 3rd period comebacks, cut that in half to the NHL regular we're fighting with Columbus.

Old guys will only get older.

I also think Markstrom plays a big role here. If he’s gone in the summer regardless of what we think of Wolf; young goalies behind bad defensive cores have never been a recipe for success in the NHL.

Wolf’s solid, we can see that, but there will be ups and downs as most young players feel. Like at Zary who was starting to generate Calder buzz; an injury and he never really found his footing again.

Reactions: Flames Fanatic

Errol Swaghammer

Sep 1, 2011
I mean you could argue that he'll defy the aging curve and maintain this level of play (or even a top-6 calibre level of play) until he's 38, which I doubt he will based on years of aging-curve data on thousands of players, but to say you don't see any reason why he would lose his positive value (relative to his contract) is just intentional ignorance.

I've loved and respected Kadri for the way he's put his best foot forward this season and taken a big leadership role on our team, but I would strongly consider moving him at some point in the next 2-3 years before the heavy regression sets in. I wouldn't do it now or even next year, because he brings a lot of value to our team now, but we need to be proactive and manage our expectations while building our asset pool. Like Vegas with Rielly Smith or many other players. Kadri is great, but lets not fool ourselves into thinking a 37-year-old Kadri will be a good top-6C on a playoff team (nevermind contender).

Additional context is that this year Kadri has the 5th most points of any forward older than 30. He's tied with Kreider and Nyquist, and only Panarin, Crosby, Stamkos and Hyman are ahead of him. That's it.

That really probably means that you could not have reasonably expected a better season than the one he just had.

Edit: Noticed when I searched it didn't include guys who were currently 30 as well. That adds another couple of guys into the list (Kucherov, Trochek and JT Miller)

Last edited:

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
I’m at least a little bit intrigued with what a Kotkaniemi deal could look like. Carolina has Teravainen, Necas, Guentzel, Drury, Skjei, Chatfield, and Pesce expiring.

Kotlaniemi at $4.7m will look quite a bit better with cap increases over time - if he can return to a ~40 point guy. Can probably give him some more opportunity to find his groove than Carolina. It’s a long contract, but it’s still a cheap buyout for a couple more years.

You’re not going to get a massive asset to take him on with the buyout being so cheap, but the acquisition cost would be next to nothing for a former 3rd overall who has gone from the Habs with a terrible supporting cast to a crowded Hurricanes team.

Huberdeau - Zary - Kuzmenko
Sharangovich - Kadri - Coronato
Coleman - Backlund - Kotkaniemi
Pospisil - Rooney - Pelletier

Last edited:
Reactions: Ace Rimmer

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
Flames fans: Bennett only manages ~30 a season, what a bust

Also Flames fans: Kotkaniemi with 27 points and signed longterm? Let's trade for him!
Please explain how that is at all relevant.

Like, just because neither have performed to expectations does not mean they can’t be valuable pieces.

Should we always pick a players worst statistical year evaluate them? Do we think he’s actually a 27 point forward? Probably not.

At the end of the day, it’s an idea because it could be a buy low option - it has nothing to do with Sam Bennett.

We pay Blake Coleman $4.9m for typical 35 point production, and people rarely complain about that. Is Kotkaniemi at that same range really a bad?

If he doesn’t live up to his deal, his buyout is still $890k - very manageable. If he rebounds to a 35-40 point player you have him signed long-term at a reasonable cap hit, considering cap increases going forward.

Last edited:

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014

Instead of saying, "Let Conroy cook!"
Maybe we should say, "Let Conroy bake!"

Off season turnovers might be good.

Reactions: Boomstick

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Instead of saying, "Let Conroy cook!"
Maybe we should say, "Let Conroy bake!"

Off season turnovers might be good.
200w.gif

Ad

Upcoming events