Speculation: What do the 2024/25 Flames look like?

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
A lot of discussion about what we’re going to do with the cap space we have opened up plus a potential Markstrom trade.

Then, there’s the twist of one our 1sts in play for Montreal next season, which will like be the Florida pick if we stay out of the 16th-22nd range.

I think we’ll go:

Pospisil-Kadri-Kuzmenko
Huberdeau-Zary-Coronato
Pelletier-Backlund-Coleman
FA-Rooney-FA

Weegar-Andersson
Kylington-Brodie/FA/Trade acq
x-Miromanov

Where x could be one of the million 3rd pairing/7th Dmen we have

Wolf
Vladar

Mangiapane, Markstrom, Sharangovich traded in the summer for a combination of picks, prospects, and AHL guys. Backlund traded at the TDL

Kuzmenko extended for 4 years, 5.75m

Last edited:

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
I see the Flames swinging for someone like Dillon or DeMelo for defense.

Forward I still don't know anymore. I can see moving someone like Mangi for a hockey trade, and maybe a bottom six C, but so many things are dependent on things like the Markstrom trade if it happens.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I'm sure most will look the same as this year, as adults they don't age as quickly as when they were kids. Biggest difference will be whether or not they grow/shave facial hair

joescores

Mar 21, 2011
Like ass. With the conditions on the 2025 pick we pretty much have to tank the season (if we follow any reasonable course of logic).
That team above will just do that. Rooney's signing stamping that narrative.

I see the Flames swinging for someone like Dillon or DeMelo for defense.

Forward I still don't know anymore. I can see moving someone like Mangi for a hockey trade, and maybe a bottom six C, but so many things are dependent on things like the Markstrom trade if it happens.
Not expecting getting much for Mangi but I have been wrong before. He will probably be a rental only, a 3rd plus?

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
Like ass. With the conditions on the 2025 pick we pretty much have to tank the season (if we follow any reasonable course of logic).

This is very true. The next 13 months will give a clear picture of this team’s ownership and management.

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
What are some “bad contracts” that would be manageable in the time frame of being competitive by 2027? Reaves and Jeannot come to mind, but they’re not expensive deals by any means.

RasmusAndersson

Oct 19, 2013
What are some “bad contracts” that would be manageable in the time frame of being competitive by 2027? Reaves and Jeannot come to mind, but they’re not expensive deals by any means.
This is something I’ve been thinking about lately as well.

I think one of my top choices would be Barclay Goodrow. 3 years left after this one at ~3.642, so he would cost the Rangers a significant asset to unload, but the cap is relatively reasonable and he fills a need for us (bottom-6C, not too old, chemistry with Coleman, playoff experience, etc.) plus NYR is a cap-strapped playoff team that will likely be looking to clear cap this summer as some of their young guys get bigger extensions.

Reaves would be ok, but his contract is only 1.35 so he’d probably only get us a 6th or 7th. Jeannot is ok too but I don’t think Tampa necessarily views him as a cap dump even if his offensive production hasn’t been there. He’s still a pretty good and physical middle/bottom-6 player who is strong on PK and makes 2.65 for one more year. I’d take a flyer on him for nothing though if they wanna clear cap for sure, just don’t think they’d sell him like that.

I also think Detroit is a prime target. I’d first ask if they’re willing to pay a significant amount to move Copp (big contract at 5.625 for 3 more years, but he’s still a versatile middle-6C). High risk, high reward, but I’d do it if they gave us a legit asset to take him (like a 1st or equivalent prospect+). But if not Copp, a guy like Justin Holl would be great too (2 years left at 3.4, serviceable #6, would likely cost them a 2nd to move him). Or if not Holl, maybe Maatta or Petry for the same reasons, especially if Detroit wants to take another step and faces cap issues.

From Dallas, Faksa would be a decent target (only 1 year left at 3.25, could get us a mid round pick and give us a competent bottom-6 C).

From Buffalo, maybe Clifton—2 more years at 3.33, stuck on third pair after Byram addition and Buffalo is suddenly facing some cap issues and likely needs vet forward depth. Team also has a surplus of picks/prospects.

From CBJ: maybe Gudbranson (lol) if they want to upgrade their top-4 or top-6, will have 2 years left at 4 mil, could take him with a pick to fill that #5 role instead of getting a similar/slightly better dman in FA and not getting the pick. Also Merzlikins intrigues me because he can be very good when on his game, and I would entertain a Wolf/Merzlikins tandem if they pay us a significant premium for taking on his contract for 3 more years at 5.4. Obviously they’d need to give us a 1st+ or equivalent to take that contract, but I’d be interested to see if Merzlikins could get it together behind a decent D. I think he can and would be a high end 1B.

From Colorado, maybe Sam Girard if they intend to keep Walker (not a bad contract but could be low value for a legit top-4 dman), Miles Wood if they’re willing to pay up (unlikely, horrible contract would cost a ton).

Reactions: FLAMESFAN

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
See, these are the type of moves we need to do. Get paid to grab a servicable player, and even the possibility of later moving that player again for more assests.

Reactions: RasmusAndersson

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
Logic dictates the Flames should want to do well next season to guarantee a lottery pick doesn’t go to Montréal. If both Florida and Calgary shit the bed and end up with top 10 picks and Calgary’s that pick goes to the Habs unless it’s 1st OA and Florida’s is deferred to 2026

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Logic dictates the Flames should want to do well next season to guarantee a lottery pick doesn’t go to Montréal. If both Florida and Calgary shit the bed and end up with top 10 picks and Calgary’s that pick goes to the Habs unless it’s 1st OA and Florida’s is deferred to 2026
Is there any chance this is a playoff team?

If you cannot realistically say the answer to that is yes, you hope the panthers don’t shit the bed next season.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
The only teams I think that will be worse than the Flames next year are Chicago and San Jose. I think the Flames will be in a group with Utah, Minnesota, Anaheim and Seattle where one team will be fighting for a playoff sport but realistically no one is making the playoffs.

I can't see much changing from the Flames. I doubt we sign any decent d-man and we'll just be running the carousel we are this year. Why would anyone sign here barring a massive overpayment?

Forward group will be the same, we sold off all the UFA's so literally every forward is signed for next year (except Greer who I would actually extend, he's a solid cheap 4th liner).

Will be curious to see who Conroy re-signs or if we see another mass exile of UFA's traded. Right now that group is Mangiapane, Kuzmenko, Sharagovich, Rooney, Hunt and Duehr. Really the first three are the only ones who have value though and I don't see us trading all three. Depends what the players want, if Gogo and Kuzy both have good years and want 6+ year deals I think they're both gone, if either want 3 years or something we'll keep 'em.

herashak

Mar 24, 2013
One more crappy year to go, maybe sign a one/two year deal for a C. This roster should draft top 5 easy especially with a winger or two gone by the deadline

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Hopefully graduate some more kids and find some more gold like Pospisil & Zary. Trade Mangiapane at the draft for whatever, maybe retain a bit, Pelts or Coronato replaces him. Solovyov or Kuznetsov for a regular roster spot on the bottom pair. Give guys like Schwindt, Jones, Morton, and Klapka some looks on the 4th line.

Wouldn't do a whole lot in FA, maybe a 4-5 type dman with some snarl.

Kind of doubt the Flames will choose to tank an entire year just because of one draft pick. Fans think that way and while I'm sure it's a consideration for the front office it's not going to guide all that much in the decision making process. Neither do I think they're going to be overly ambitious in trying to be good. Might see a RFA acquisition with all the draft capital Conroy put together but I dunno, I don't think he's in a huge rush. Ice a younger team with some good vet support and let the chips fall where they may.

Should know based on what they decide to do or not do with Markstrom over the summer.

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
In a word, bad

Real question is how they're going to get Pelletier into the lineup. Trading at least one winger like Mangiapane frees up a spot but would likely leave Pelletier on the 4th line. Would need to trade another one, like Kuzmenko or Sharangovich if they want him in the top nine.

And if they land a top forward, they might need to do even more if he proves good enough to be in the starting lineup.

Last edited:

Iggys Dome

Not allowed to say the “R-Word” (rebuild)
Mar 19, 2018
Cap Space
With Huska as coach probably not great. No slight against him, but he isn’t the type of coach to squeeze blood from a stone. I’d say we finish with 70-80 points.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
In a word, bad

Real question is how they're going to get Pelletier into the lineup. Trading at least one winger like Mangiapane frees up a spot but would likely leave Pelletier on the 4th line. Would need to trade another one, like Kuzmenko or Sharangovich if they want him in the top nine.

And if they land a top forward, they might need to do even more if he proves good enough to be in the starting lineup.
I’m starting to get skeptical Pelletier is much more than a bottom 6 player anyways. I get he’s been injured, but he’s also in his D+5 and hasn’t established himself as a regular nhler.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
I’m starting to get skeptical Pelletier is much more than a bottom 6 player anyways. I get he’s been injured, but he’s also in his D+5 and hasn’t established himself as a regular nhler.
Darryl ruined his career.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
About the same as this year to be honest.
Hopefully with a bit more youth, maybe a bit of a step backwards if Markstrom is traded.

That said, Wolf has sort of a knack of winning around him.

No point to rush the first rounder this year if he's not ready (unless it's Celebrini to be honest); and just focus on getting younger and better. Need guys like Zary, Plletier, Coronato and one of those young D to take the next step if we want to start to turn things around at this org. Going to need a game breaker at wherever we pick.

We shouldn't be big game hunting in FA. This team isn't close that one or two guys in the top 6 / top 4 will put them over.

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
Eh, not sure that's necessarily meaningful given the context, i.e., he's trying to make the Flames, not a normal NHL franchise.

In his draft+3 year, he managed 62 points in 66 AHL games, also his first pro season. On a normal team, that's means NHL games. He got zero because well, old Flames gonna Flame.

In his D+4 year, 37 points in 35 games in the AHL. Gets NHL games, but because Sutter gonna Dutter, he's buried down the lineup, getting minimal minutes and opportunity.

This, his D+5 year, he was pencilled into the opening day lineup but injuries have ruined the season. So it goes.

Now, to see how much the current management differs from the old guard, consider Coronato, this being his D+3 year. He's managed 42 points in 40 games in the AHL (fairly similar to Pelletier's D+3 year) and that's resulted in several call ups to the NHL, and he's now a regular through this final stretch.

I think Pelletier could potentially be a solid middle sixer but he'll need to get a lot stronger. But the whole "a prospect needs to make the NHL by a certain year post draft" only works if you're dealing with a normal franchise that does things in a rational manner. Which is most definitely not the Flames when they delude themselves into thinking they're a contender.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Eh, not sure that's necessarily meaningful given the context, i.e., he's trying to make the Flames, not a normal NHL franchise.

In his draft+3 year, he managed 62 points in 66 AHL games, also his first pro season. On a normal team, that's means NHL games. He got zero because well, old Flames gonna Flame.

In his D+4 year, 37 points in 35 games in the AHL. Gets NHL games, but because Sutter gonna Dutter, he's buried down the lineup, getting minimal minutes and opportunity.

This, his D+5 year, he was pencilled into the opening day lineup but injuries have ruined the season. So it goes.

Now, to see how much the current management differs from the old guard, consider Coronato, this being his D+3 year. He's managed 42 points in 40 games in the AHL (fairly similar to Pelletier's D+3 year) and that's resulted in several call ups to the NHL, and he's now a regular through this final stretch.

I think Pelletier could potentially be a solid middle sixer but he'll need to get a lot stronger. But the whole "a prospect needs to make the NHL by a certain year post draft" only works if you're dealing with a normal franchise that does things in a rational manner. Which is most definitely not the Flames when they delude themselves into thinking they're a contender.
Don’t necessarily disagree with this, but I’d be hard pressed to believe he’s in the upper tier of a middle six player. There’s a lot of heart there, but I don’t know if that overcomes his size deficiencies and lack of high end skill. This is just based on what I’ve seen, but hey I’m not a scout. And I do agree that the lack of opportunity has been problematic.

If he’s as good as mangiapane we should count our graces. Next year will be the big tell.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad