What do Stafford/Stewart need to do to consider keeping them?

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
That's just completely wrong. Stafford gives his all every game. He just lost his scoring touch, and his shooting percentage was incredibly high during his 30 goal year like you wrote.

Does he drive to the net every game?

IMLACHnME

Dec 27, 2013
GTA
It wouldn't surprise me if both have interest from other teams by the deadline and are no longer with Buffalo at the end of the season. Stafford's evolved more of his game away from the puck but at the same time, he's not getting into the same positions to succeed as he once did. Stewart's issues seem to have been the same in both Colorado and St. Louis so it seems the mold has set there. He can provide some scoring and while he is big, he will sometimes play big. That tends to appeal to playoff teams near the deadline looking for a contributing piece.

And as Rob mentioned, the biggest thing they need to do is express an interest in staying. If they play well, it will drive their value both in terms of trade and potential contract (as we've seen from Stafford before... beware the contract year). And if they play poorly, everyone will want them run off for whatever return they can get. I am not holding my breath that either is with them next season.

The red flag with Stewart is the fact that a playoff bound team - hopeful of winning a series or two, at least - traded him away. It could be argued that the Blues were not so much looking to get rid of him as opposed to looking to add a goaltender. Perhaps they had to give up Stewart to acquire Miller.

Add the fact that St. Louis also added Steve Ott - to acquire sandpaper the Blues were not sure Stewart would provide? - and you really have to wonder about what you're getting with Stewart.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
The red flag with Stewart is the fact that a playoff bound team - hopeful of winning a series or two, at least - traded him away. It could be argued that the Blues were not so much looking to get rid of him as opposed to looking to add a goaltender. Perhaps they had to give up Stewart to acquire Miller.

Add the fact that St. Louis also added Steve Ott - to acquire sandpaper the Blues were not sure Stewart would provide? - and you really have to wonder about what you're getting with Stewart.

I agree. Anything could happen, but if I was a betting man, I'd say the time to move Stewart is when teams are looking for reclamation projects, not making their playoff pushes.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

I agree. Anything could happen, but if I was a betting man, I'd say the time to move Stewart is when teams are looking for reclamation projects, not making their playoff pushes.

In a cap world, sometimes working pieces need to move. Was he a cast-away or just the part that the Blues could move to make salary cap considerations work?

Reports at the time of the deal had the Bruins as an interested party for Stewart's services. On a team like that, he's not a center piece but could be a quality contributor to existing core parts. I suspect he will get interest at the deadline for just that sort of role again, especially with his salary mostly paid.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
It seems that a commonly held belief is that the two RWs who are both UFAs at end of the season will be trade deadline bait.

But we're also in the phase of the rebuild where we don't necessarily need to stockpile more assets...it's time to actually do the building.

So can Stafford and/or Stewart be part of the long-term solution? What would they have to do this year for you to consider holding on to them? Does how the prospects develop--namely Armia, who's the only real top 6 winger prospect we have who might be able to contribute next year--impact your decision?

I have said it previously that it is possible they resign one of the two to a short 2-3 yr contract where they are paid above $4M. the only way it would be 3 is if Reinhart gets sent back this year, otherwise Id only be looking for 2 yrs

I would not sign eiher to a long term contract.

With RW bufalo has Armia, Baptiste, Possler, and Hodgson can shift to RW, and a lefty could shift to the off wing (Grigo??, Ennis??). Buffalo have a few other forwards who could develop too.

gionta got a 3 yr contract when his contract is up Baptiste and Possler should be with Buffalo to replace him in one of the top 9 RW slots.

looking at their roster locked in for 15/16 they have 2 G, 2 Dman, and 5 forward slots they need to fill. Right now they have about $40.6M committed
With the Forwards: Grigorenko. Larsson, McEichel, and Armia get spots, the 2 Dmen are filled with the youngsters, and one goalie is a youngster and then they sign Neuvirth/Enroth winner an extension that also is short. If the floor is say $53M==7 of the 9 slots are filled with ELCs or bridge contracts that may toal $8M. That one empty RW slot and the starting goalie slot is what allows Buffalo to reach the cap floor.

After getting to the cap floor in 2015, Buffalo resigning assets in 2016-2018 is what helps them be above the cap floor.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
I have said it previously that it is possible they resign one of the two to a short 2-3 yr contract where they are paid above $4M. the only way it would be 3 is if Reinhart gets sent back this year, otherwise Id only be looking for 2 yrs

I would not sign eiher to a long term contract.

With RW bufalo has Armia, Baptiste, Possler, and Hodgson can shift to RW, and a lefty could shift to the off wing (Grigo??, Ennis??). Buffalo have a few other forwards who could develop too.

gionta got a 3 yr contract when his contract is up Baptiste and Possler should be with Buffalo to replace him in one of the top 9 RW slots.

looking at their roster locked in for 15/16 they have 2 G, 2 Dman, and 5 forward slots they need to fill. Right now they have about $40.6M committed
With the Forwards: Grigorenko. Larsson, McEichel, and Armia get spots, the 2 Dmen are filled with the youngsters, and one goalie is a youngster and then they sign Neuvirth/Enroth winner an extension that also is short. If the floor is say $53M==7 of the 9 slots are filled with ELCs or bridge contracts that may toal $8M. That one empty RW slot and the starting goalie slot is what allows Buffalo to reach the cap floor.

After getting to the cap floor in 2015, Buffalo resigning assets in 2016-2018 is what helps them be above the cap floor.

assuming Armia, Possler, or Baptiste "make it" is foolish

the length of re-signing 1 of Stewart/Stafford will not be impacted by any of those guys (unless Armia takes a HUGE step forward)

1st year in AHL
Armia 0.52
Zagrapan 0.50

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
I'd rather keep Stafford over Stewart anyday. I don't like Stewart's attitude and work ethic. I know Stafford hasn't played well but by the end of last year he looked pretty good and its thanks to Nolan.

paulmm3

Mar 29, 2014
I think both are gone at the deadline regardless of what they do. Unless they can fetch absolutely nothing in return. We are still at the part of the rebuild where draft picks are important (another 2015 first for both? or 2016 picks?) and nothing in either of these guys would make me feel confident signing them to a 3+ year deal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad