What do Stafford/Stewart need to do to consider keeping them?

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
It seems that a commonly held belief is that the two RWs who are both UFAs at end of the season will be trade deadline bait.

But we're also in the phase of the rebuild where we don't necessarily need to stockpile more assets...it's time to actually do the building.

So can Stafford and/or Stewart be part of the long-term solution? What would they have to do this year for you to consider holding on to them? Does how the prospects develop--namely Armia, who's the only real top 6 winger prospect we have who might be able to contribute next year--impact your decision?

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
Play hard and smart consistently. Help your linemates and use your size to get to the net. Cover for the pinching D and fight for the puck on the boards. Shoot when you have a good chance and follow the shot. Hustle back on defence and do not give up on the play. Get 3 shots a game and score on 8% of them. Simple huh?

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
I think they are both traded at the deadline. TM can always sign them July 1 (seems like this is possible now). I don't think he will and I don't think he should.

Bps21*

Stewart maybe has a chance. Stafford you know what he is...a good contract year upping his value at the deadline hurts as much as helps.

ZeroPT*

If Stewart pots 15-20 by the deadline and is playing hard under Nolan I wouldn't mind signing him to a 3 year deal worth $5m AAV.

JThorne

Stop accepting failure
Jul 21, 2006
Downtown Buffalo
Unless Stafford goes well over 30, no. He's shown what he is, a contract player. Even with decent line mates the guy just doesn't give it all. And on top of that, his 30g year was ridiculously high shooting percent, iirc.

Stewart, if he wants to be here, puts up at least 20 and isn't a lockerroom cancer like some say he is, sure. But not at UFA prices.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
I wouldn't mind Stafford. He's the kind of guy that might be able to take a bit of a leadership role during the leaner years of the rebuild and slide comfortably back into more of a depth role when (hopefully) the young guys start surpassing him. All I'd really want to see from him for that end is consistent effort, solid defensive game, and a handful of goals.

Stewart is interesting wrt his long-term value to the team because he's a little bit younger, but I'm not sure we'll get anything from him worth keeping. I guess we'll see what he does.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
Stewart has to be a profoundly different player than Blues fans think he was. Just playing him on the top line and giving him lots of PP minutes might get him back into offensive form, but he was on a contender before and found his way to the bench consistently for other areas of his game lacking. I need to see an energetic, 200' player, and even then, I'm concerned it's just contract motivating him.

Stafford has to show he's a better long-term option on the wing in a secondary scoring role than Hodgson/Ennis. So it's not just about him. He might do it, but his future utility really depends as much on who else is competing for that role. If he's dramatically outperforming Ennis at that point, you re-sign him, but if it's even close, you keep the younger player and I then have a hard time seeing where he fits long-term.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Practically speaking, the #1 thing they have to do is express a concrete willingness to extend tgheir contracts here. I'd say it's more likely they want to leave than it is the team wants them to. Regardless of what they do or don't show on the ice this season, if they're willing to sign here on solid deals then that will probably outpace the value of their deadline return.

More along the lines of what you're looking for, if they play committed team hockey while producing somewhere near the top of the team, then they've done all anyone should ask of them. Stafford ultimately did these things last season, so if he repeats that -- hopefully with a better start -- then he meets the criteria. It then comes down to what I initially said: Does he want to be here? What contract is he looking for with an extension? What trade offers are out there? Rinse and repeat with Stewart.

jvirk

Oct 31, 2013
I don't know how people can say Stafford shows leadership...they honestly must be blind.

I just want him to start the season off well so that we can trade him at the deadline for something decent...I want NOTHING to do with this guy on the team moving forward.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
I don't know how people can say Stafford shows leadership...they honestly must be blind.

I just want him to start the season off well so that we can trade him at the deadline for something decent...I want NOTHING to do with this guy on the team moving forward.

Because all inside accounts of him in the locker room lead towards him being a tremendous voice for the young team...sure judging by his on ice stat sheet production its hard to see, but his effort on ice last year and reputation for being great behind the scenes says more to me...

Girgensons28

Jul 23, 2014
Portage, Indiana

I've never big a big Stafford fan, but I've become impressed with his effort. He will go all out on the back check, and make a great defensive play. That's a good thing for the kids to see. We cannot offload every veteran.

start winnin

NO MORE TANK BOYS
May 7, 2011
Buffalo
Didn't Nolan say that Stafford was a great leader in the locker room? He's my dark horse for captaincy. Not sure if I'd be too thrilled with it honestly (although he was good last year), but I trust Nolan to make the right choice.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
Didn't Nolan say that Stafford was a great leader in the locker room? He's my dark horse for captaincy. Not sure if I'd be too thrilled with it honestly (although he was good last year), but I trust Nolan to make the right choice.

Ruff also gave Stafford a letter. So two coaches giving him a letter...seems to indicate that they see him being a leader in the room. Would be nice if it showed on the ice as well in terms of production, but that doesn't diminish how he's viewed in the room.

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
I've personally have had enough of Stafford. I've felt this way for a few years. I know it's wrong. I know I should give him endless chances under different coaches and team mates, but I've just can't get on board with wanting Stafford. I don't care how many points he gets this year or how good of a leader he becomes. :dunno:

Stewart, I'd like to see a few years of under Nolan and a new younger team.

VaporTrail

Mar 2, 2011
I feel Stafford has been too inconsistent plus he is part of the old core....Trade him near the deadline...Time to move on with new blood....

If Stewart shows consistent play, and wants to be here, then I say try and sign him to a reasonable deal....If not, trade him too.

I would be willing to trade for picks in the 2016, 2017, or 2018 draft....The thinking here is perhaps by then we are a contender, and we ship those picks at a deadline for a player(s) that will help us win the Cup.

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
I feel a bit jaded by Stafford. Leadership abilities aside, he did not play up to the standards on which his contract was offered. With that being said, I would think that they would keep one of the two in spite of Stew's inconsistencies. Armia won't be spending much more time than 14-15 in ROC. If he produces, they'll find a top 6 spot if not, he probably won't stay in the system much longer. We would, presumably, have a logjam at C in a couple years which could spill over to the wings especially RW. I'll look for Stew to be physical and responsible, Staff a bit more productive making him great trade bait.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
Practically speaking, the #1 thing they have to do is express a concrete willingness to extend their contracts here.

More along the lines of what you're looking for, if they play committed team hockey while producing somewhere near the top of the team, then they've done all anyone should ask of them. Does he want to be here? What contract is he looking for with an extension? What trade offers are out there?

Correct answer, right here!

SackTastic

Mar 25, 2011
Twice before Stafford has had better than average contract years, and then regressed.

Even if he has an outstanding 14-15 season, I'd expect the same thing to happen. No reason to keep him past the trading deadline this year.

I'd be more interested in Stewart, although I'm not sure I'd be a huge fan up in the $4M range.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
It wouldn't surprise me if both have interest from other teams by the deadline and are no longer with Buffalo at the end of the season. Stafford's evolved more of his game away from the puck but at the same time, he's not getting into the same positions to succeed as he once did. Stewart's issues seem to have been the same in both Colorado and St. Louis so it seems the mold has set there. He can provide some scoring and while he is big, he will sometimes play big. That tends to appeal to playoff teams near the deadline looking for a contributing piece.

And as Rob mentioned, the biggest thing they need to do is express an interest in staying. If they play well, it will drive their value both in terms of trade and potential contract (as we've seen from Stafford before... beware the contract year). And if they play poorly, everyone will want them run off for whatever return they can get. I am not holding my breath that either is with them next season.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
Yeah, if either of these guys are re-signed, I think you hold your breath that they maintain effort in a non-contract year. To an extent, you have to look at their last three years or so now and say, is this what I want to build around?

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Unless Stafford goes well over 30, no. He's shown what he is, a contract player. Even with decent line mates the guy just doesn't give it all. And on top of that, his 30g year was ridiculously high shooting percent, iirc.

Stewart, if he wants to be here, puts up at least 20 and isn't a lockerroom cancer like some say he is, sure. But not at UFA prices.

That's just completely wrong. Stafford gives his all every game. He just lost his scoring touch, and his shooting percentage was incredibly high during his 30 goal year like you wrote.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad