Speculation: What do Craig Smith and Mikeal Granlund get on the open Market?

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I dunno about MiG. This is a really bad year for any FA, nvm one who has been underperforming for the past season and a half. His best bet might be to take a one or two year prove it deal with a good organization. I don't see him getting offered any more than 4M AAV, and maybe less. He has been producing like a 3rd line winger since Jan 2019. What are they worth?

Still mystified by his downturn, and can't help but feel that he might have a really good year(60+ PTS.) or two left in him.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Granlund probably gets 5.5m AAV on a 1 or 2 year deal looking for a rebound, so he can get a longer term deal once the cap starts growing.

Smith seems to have started his age decline, so i'd guess 4 aav over 3 or 4 years.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I don't think that Granlund gets that much in a world where teams are looking ahead at a season where they are going to lose millions. He's simply not the player he was 3-4 years ago....pretty ordinary now.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
Granlund probably gets 5.5m AAV on a 1 or 2 year deal looking for a rebound, so he can get a longer term deal once the cap starts growing.

Smith seems to have started his age decline, so i'd guess 4 aav over 3 or 4 years.

Has he though? Smith would have put up 20+ goals again had the season kept going. You might have it reversed on this one.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Has he though? Smith would have put up 20+ goals again had the season kept going. You might have it reversed on this one.
Maybe you're right. I thought he was more consistently a 50 point guy earlier in his career, but he's been more or less a high 30's, low 40's player with good goal scoring and a couple of fluke 50+ point seasons.

Regardless, with the stagnant cap, at 31. I think my contract predictions are roughly unchanged. He's not going to get much more than 4 over 3 or 4 years, and Granlund's rebound potential will probably get him a short term deal with an AAV a little smaller than his current AAV.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Yeah, I don't see anything different in Smith's game at all. He is just what he is, and pretty much always has been. He gives an honest effort every night and is reasonably effective overall. That line with Bonino was our most consistent and reliable line all season long. But Smith's scoring does tend to come in bunches, and even when he's playing well enough, the scoring can evaporate for weeks on end.

He doesn't seem to have declined one bit to me. But nevertheless, he just turned 31 and there's no real upside with him, so surely nobody offers beyond a 3 or 4-year deal anyway. This year, anticipating a tighter market than ever, you probably err on the side of less term and money, because players will probably get a little desperate. Before the play-ins, I would have been content to have Smith back at $4M for 4 more years. That would be about his "normal year" market value. But after another disappointing playoff and with a constricting market, I doubt very much he would get that now.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
I think people are under-estimating what Granlund will get. He's not going to break the bank, and while the stagnant cap has a few teams in a real bind, there are 15+ with plenty of cap room, including a number of likely playoff teams that really don't have too many big names to resign. Like the Avs have 22 million to spend, with basically RFAs that aren't going to break the bank to resign. Granted they are probably going to chase Taylor Hall with it, but if they strike out on him Granlund is certainly going to be attractive.

Reactions: Helsinki Hurricanes

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
I think people are under-estimating what Granlund will get. He's not going to break the bank, and while the stagnant cap has a few teams in a real bind, there are 15+ with plenty of cap room, including a number of likely playoff teams that really don't have too many big names to resign. Like the Avs have 22 million to spend, with basically RFAs that aren't going to break the bank to resign. Granted they are probably going to chase Taylor Hall with it, but if they strike out on him Granlund is certainly going to be attractive.

Hall, Toffoli, Hoffman, Dadanov, etc will all get signed to good deals. Granlund is behind them(could say no to Toffoli but after the year he had with the Canucks hea gonna cash in) . So Granlund may have to settle on a 1 or 2 year deal.

Besides, he should want to. Im sure hes aware that his numbers were down because of that Nashville offense. Where players go to underachieve for some reason. Duchene signed at 8 mil...didnt even score 20. They turned Kyle Turris into an overpaid player(6 mil with 4 years left) , he was great with the Sens. Theres others. But also Fiala who left there and tripled his career high this season.

Nash is a team Id like the Pens to trade with. They have alot of talent, not getting the most out of them.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Smith's an interesting player. He's pretty much defined this point but with his skill and goal scoring ability could have a bit of upside in the right situation.

Reactions: Morrison

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Hall, Toffoli, Hoffman, Dadanov, etc will all get signed to good deals. Granlund is behind them(could say no to Toffoli but after the year he had with the Canucks hea gonna cash in) . So Granlund may have to settle on a 1 or 2 year deal.

Besides, he should want to. Im sure hes aware that his numbers were down because of that Nashville offense. Where players go to underachieve for some reason. Duchene signed at 8 mil...didnt even score 20. They turned Kyle Turris into an overpaid player(6 mil with 4 years left) , he was great with the Sens. Theres others. But also Fiala who left there and tripled his career high this season.

Nash is a team Id like the Pens to trade with. They have alot of talent, not getting the most out of them.

But what would the pens have left to give up?

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
That's true he does but the farm system is completely baren.

will he trade Poulin?

Seen his moves lately? Our prospects and their families should be in witness protection

But actuallly our next trade will likely be Murray. Bjugstad was just moved to Minn with 50% retained. So we cleared 2.5 mil in cap. I wonder if that is connected to the Murray trade.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Seen his moves lately? Our prospects and their families should be in witness protection

I have seen his moves, particularly the Kapanen move and the Zucker move.

Pittsburgh better win another cup in the next 2-3 years because it's going to be BAD after that, Buffalo levels of bad.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010

But actuallly our next trade will likely be Murray. Bjugstad was just moved to Minn with 50% retained. So we cleared 2.5 mil in cap. I wonder if that is connected to the Murray trade.

I suspect and have suspected for a while that Murray will end up in Toronto he's a Dubas guy as are Sandin, Keefe, Campbell, Clifford and Hyman if Dubas has a connection he wants you in Toronto

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Im fairly certain Granlund will get north of 4M regardless of what type of contract it is. Wouldn't be surprised to see 5M. The past year and half takes couple million away of what he would've got but that's it.

One of Granny's biggest assets is his work ethic. He's always competing hard on pucks, giving second efforts and trying to play a sound overall game. Sometimes he gets outmuscled but it's never for lack of try. It's a big reason why the Preds kept playing him, there were even games when he was leading the forwards in ice time this season. So even when he's not scoring, he still does good things out there which makes it easy for GM's to say they could fit him into the team culture.

Offensively things didn't work out in Nashville, but he did have back to back near 70 point seasons followed by a 50+ point season and that's not too far in the past.

Since Hynes took over in the regular season he had a stretch there with 16 pts in 24 games so there were signs of life offensively as well.

And once teams do their research there's the baby thing last year and Nashville underperforming across the board this year, so you have some excuses to tell yourself it's not the player regressing this much and if you like the fit on paper you can take a chance.

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Im fairly certain Granlund will get north of 4M regardless of what type of contract it is. Wouldn't be surprised to see 5M. The past year and half takes couple million away of what he would've got but that's it.

One of Granny's biggest assets is his work ethic. He's always competing hard on pucks, giving second efforts and trying to play a sound overall game. Sometimes he gets outmuscled but it's never for lack of try. It's a big reason why the Preds kept playing him, there were even games when he was leading the forwards in ice time this season. So even when he's not scoring, he still does good things out there which makes it easy for GM's to say they could fit him into the team culture.

Offensively things didn't work out in Nashville, but he did have back to back near 70 point seasons followed by a 50+ point season and that's not too far in the past.

Since Hynes took over in the regular season he had a stretch there with 16 pts in 24 games so there were signs of life offensively as well.

And once teams do their research there's the baby thing last year and Nashville underperforming across the board this year, so you have some excuses to tell yourself it's not the player regressing this much and if you like the fit on paper you can take a chance.

Sounds like a good replacement for Kapanen at the right price

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
I like Smith but don't see that his all around ability is that elite to be a top 6 forward; more of a good fast physical forechecker for the 3rd line. Two years, $3.25 mil cap hit

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Not a chance that Granlund gets 5M in today's financial climate. He'll be lucky to get 4M. He could end up being a good signing, as he has near elite hands, vision, and passing ability, but it's hard to ignore the past couple of seasons.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad